Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Westell router, slow verizon dsl

by bill999 / January 1, 2007 7:15 AM PST

Have spent 2 hours reading complaints here and on other sites about quirky, slow verizon dsl and the Westell 327 modem/router. My service slows and even sometimes drops, but is fine 90% of the time. After all I have read today I'm thinking of pressuring Verizon for a new router to replace the Westell. I have also noticed something no one has mentioned. My internet light, the one on the far right, is always dimmer than all other lights, even when service is strong. It can be dim when the dsl light next to it is bright green. Often it starts to blink and this is when service is slowest. Does any Westell owner notice this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Westell router, slow verizon dsl
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Westell router, slow verizon dsl
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
With my Verizon DSL and Westell 6100 modem/router
by PudgyOne / January 1, 2007 11:42 AM PST

I use a Netgear Wireless router.

I had to change the ip address on the router to 192.168.7.1 from 192.168.1.1 because the ip addresses conflict with each other.

Remember that the wireless routers also use the same frequency as portable phones, thus can also contribute to the problems.

Did you run Verizons online speed test?

http://infospeed.verizon.net/

Rick

Collapse -
slow verizon dsl
by bill999 / January 2, 2007 9:49 AM PST

Yes, I run the verizon speed test. My slowdowns are intermittent and I'm just trying to understand why. We have wireless handsets but they have to be in use, don't they? My main computer on the second floor is hard wired anyway. The wireless unit in they basement doesn't get any better or worse of a connection.

Collapse -
Wireless routers
by PudgyOne / January 2, 2007 6:44 PM PST
In reply to: slow verizon dsl

Use the same frequency as portable telephones. They can interfere also.

Could also be some type of Spyware on them.

Try looking at these

http://76.187.6.37/Spyware_suite.htm

or

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=225081&messageID=2356051

If you don't use these programs, try running them it will help to speed up your computer. If you are using Norton, it is known to be a resource hog.

Also try reading this

http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Protect_Your_PC/Get_Rid_of_Spyware%2C_Adware%2C_and_Web_Browser_Hijackers.html

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
slow verizon dsl
by bill999 / January 3, 2007 7:08 AM PST
In reply to: Wireless routers

I have used Spybot and Adaware religiously for probably two years now. Norton products were sworn off a year ago for being too large, interfering with other programs, being too hard to get rid of when you want to and for ripping me off for a download I paid for. Avast! is a free program and has worked fine for me. I highly endorse Avast! My Verizon dsl (copper wire) is still slow 10% of the time and my Westell 327w always has a dim light for the internet indicator even when it is working fast. One problem at a time.

Collapse -
in addition..
by obrero32 / February 10, 2007 11:44 PM PST

I just search this information just for you my friend...

? Physical obstructions such as walls, floors, home entertainment electronics, appliances, and furniture can cause interference if the wireless signals have to pass through them. Move your DSL modem or wireless home networking router to another location so it isn't in the line-of-sight of these potential interference factors.

-This information I found is from verizon help.

Collapse -
327w?
by obrero32 / February 10, 2007 11:39 PM PST

Man, he said the unit that has a slow connection is located at the basement.. Bill there are barrier or blocking your connection the 327w will give you slow connection due to the location of your unit. You need a crossover for that. They are also right that Wireless modem also have the same Freq. with a base cordless phone. But if your unit is at at the basement, your 327W will only give you poor signal due some wall is blocking it. Your like talking to a person in the other side of the room.

- Try to move your unit near to the 327w and check the speed of your DSL.
- Also try to buy a crossover if you want to have a full range wireless access to your unit.
- bars, coffee shop and malls use crossover to send a wide range of signal for the customer who wants to use there wi-fi.
- if you gonna speak with verizon tech. they will also tell you that.
-

Collapse -
Verison DSL
by jerryf3892 / March 26, 2009 8:15 AM PDT

I'm about to drop are house line entirely and get Verizon DSL.
Will I have to change the address also?
Jerry

Collapse -
Change the address???
by PudgyOne / March 26, 2009 7:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Verison DSL

of WHAT???

If you have a wireless router, you'll need to setup the wireless router, again. It is suggested that you follow the instructions in the Forum Sticky.

Rick

Collapse -
Check out white paper on this 327A.
by zzjustinzz / February 8, 2007 5:33 PM PST

Very slow processor! Just look at it on bench.

Collapse -
Just updated firmware on a 327 A
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 8, 2007 11:39 PM PST

The version A firmware took me 2 tries to find the latest firmware and it helped in speed and wireless coverage in the home.

Original was something like 00.62 and the new was 02.13 (from memory so only consider the major version when you go looking.)

There is hope but it appears very few ISPs will walk the owner through this. In fact the installer software FAILED, but it actually did upgrade.

Bottomline? After I saw the software send the firmware over and router had rebooted and reconnected I cancelled the firmware update (timing here is critical.) Then I pointed a web browser at the router and found the firmware updated to the newer version.

Benefits were:

1. Faster.
2. Better coverage of wifi in the house.
3. Faster connects from the wifi laptops.

Hope this helps someone.

Bob

Collapse -
Westell modem 6100 Blocks broadband phone service
by floralmarie11 / February 15, 2007 3:04 PM PST

I have changed to broadband telephone service with voipyourlife. Their connections and customer service are great. There is one problem. I have Verizon DSL and their Westell 6100 modem has created problems for me from the time it was new; it had to be replaced after 6 months and I was supposed to pay for it. I objected because it was a new modem. After refusing to pay for a replacement I was allowed to receive a new modem free of charge because it was less than a year old. No company should expect you to pay to replace their malfunctioning equipment. Verizon is becoming trickier by the day. Had I not challenged the company I would have been stuck for the $32.00 cost of a new Westell plus shipping charges.

Be aware that the Westell has a built-in firewall, no matter how many people at Verizon deny it. The Westell's firewall does interfere with my broadband phone service, no matter how many people at verizon deny it. The moral of the story is that Westell modems are a headache, Verizon is rapidly becoming a very dishonest company, and most of their technical staff do not know their right hand from their left.

I am now looking for a new DSL service.

Collapse -
Did you know
by PudgyOne / February 15, 2007 6:23 PM PST

you can log in to the Westell 6100 modem/router and turn the firewall off?

http://192.168.1.1/

Rick

***While you're these, you may want to set your password.

Collapse -
Slow service on DSL (cablemodem)
by Joe50 / February 28, 2007 2:18 AM PST

Lost of thing can slow down your DSL cable system:
----------
1- High level INGRESS which is coming on the return path of your Caable system.
2- HIGH NOISE level on the return path also.
3- Your cablemodem receive signal from 18 to 40 MHz in a 3.2 MHz spacing, usually in QPSK signal. It can also be 16 QAM signal.
4- If any of 1 and 2 are not perfect, they will reduce your spedd for sure.
5- INGRESS is signal leaking in the return system (5-40 MHz).
6- NOISE is when signal is to low at the cablemodem or other return amplifiers on the system.
Hope this help

Collapse -
Westell 327
by kodiakak7 / January 3, 2008 1:33 PM PST

I recently opened my 327 and as I recall the "Internet" LED is simply mounted farther back than the the "DSL" LED and others so it is not as bright in the opaque plastic. You should notice the same thing with the "power" LED at the opposite end. As for being slow I have the same problem but much more frequently. Currently I am running at 225Kbps which I could live with but not 25Kbps and dropped connections. So my question is can modems go bad to a point at which they function but cause such problems?

Collapse -
I have my neighbors 327w that is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2008 9:20 PM PST
In reply to: Westell 327

just barely working. To sniff this out I have a spare dsl modem and router to sub in for a test. Pretty easy to do since I don't have to call Verizon to tell them some MAC address. Just pop the account details into router for PPPoE and it's up.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?