Question

Westell 6100 wants verizon activation

I have an extra westell 6100 modem that I want to set up as a spare for when my orginal stops working. When I hook it up it makes the connection but send me right to a verizon page for activation. The problem is I'm now with frontier. The verizon ID and password no longer work. How do I get pass this. I'm runing windows XP sp3 any help would be appreciated. I have already reset to factory defaults and that didn't help.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Westell 6100 wants verizon activation
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Westell 6100 wants verizon activation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Cool!

I wondered when they would lock down the ISP modems like that. The older Westell 6100 I had from 2000 did not do that. I see they did update the firmware because setup was from the dark ages.

Let me explain. By moving to a more friendly setup, they also lock it to the ISP.
Bob

- Collapse -
How to get resolve

I would really like to know how it will get resolve and how it turn out to be. One need to be very careful about this and it will be thus needed.

- Collapse -
Sorry.

To fix this you would find some firmware to change it back to the old model where it was unlocked.

But what is the "very careful" statement? It does not make sense since changing the firmware is the only known method and it could brick the unit.

-> Worth noting is I gave away my old 6100 on freecycle. Why not find another?

In fact why bother with this? Just keep your eye on freecycle and craigslist for another freebie.
Bob

CNET Forums