Speakeasy forum

General discussion

West Virginia isn't looking so good

by Bi0-Hazard / January 20, 2006 10:09 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: West Virginia isn't looking so good
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: West Virginia isn't looking so good
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Heard on the radio today
by Diana Forum moderator / January 20, 2006 10:34 AM PST

Dear old Byrd got the law changed so the utility companies had to put scrubbers on their stacks to lower the pollutants.

So the east coast coal burners use WV and PA coal rather than western coal even though western coal is less dangerous to get (strip mining) and is cleaner.

The transportation is less and the coal is cheaper because it burns dirtier. Might just as well burn the cheaper stuff since they've already spent the money for scrubbers.

Diana

Collapse -
I haven't heard any update ...
by Evie / January 20, 2006 10:55 AM PST

... but initial reports were that a lightening strike caused the accident that claimed 12 lives. Sounds like something that all the money in the world cannot prevent.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Don't spend much on the safety of soldiers either
by Diana Forum moderator / January 20, 2006 10:56 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Not true
by EdH / January 20, 2006 9:05 PM PST
Collapse -
Soldiers and their families have been complaining about
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / January 21, 2006 1:37 AM PST
In reply to: (NT) Not true

inadequate armor (personal and HumVee) for years now, EdH. Finally, after even more adverse publicity in light of that Pentagon report, the Bush Administration is starting to spend a larger fraction of what they've let Halliburton skim over that same time period on trying to rectify the situation. Too little, way too late for those who died as a result of the delay in doing the right thing Sad

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
well dk as you have 1st hand experiance
by Mark5019 / January 21, 2006 1:55 AM PST

we all know you dont so dont begin to speak of what you dont know .

the humvess were never ment to be armored just like the jeeps.
and as to body armor you wear a full suit in try to move fast, its to un yeilding.
isnt it about time you speak on what you know? bashing americas soldiers is your only thing seems.

geesh its so tireing of your constant fault finding

Collapse -
Who is bashing soldiers here?
by Bi0-Hazard / January 21, 2006 2:17 AM PST

No one is bashing soldiers. All am saying is that we can spend all this money on war but not at home. We could use the billion spent on war on the homeless situation, or education, etc.

Collapse -
and if we dont fight the war over there
by Mark5019 / January 21, 2006 10:51 AM PST

we wont have to worry about the homeless.

and theres no reason to be homeless if you want to work:(

Collapse -
Not true
by Bi0-Hazard / January 21, 2006 12:17 PM PST

Many of the homeless aren't the barbarian drunks you think they are. Many never had the opportunities that we have. Many probably had an injury and got laid off, or had parents who couldn't afford college. Situations like these happen.

Collapse -
There is a portion of the homeless ...
by Evie / January 21, 2006 10:43 PM PST
In reply to: Not true

... that needs to be "institutionalized" for mental health/deficiency reasons. I put that in quotes, because I'm not talking straight jackets in large concrete buildings they never leave -- many mental illnesses/deficiencies can be accomodated for with some assisted living arrangements, etc., particularly when the person has no family to lean on.

The rest fall into the category Mark is addressing.

Collapse -
theres work if they want it
by Mark5019 / January 22, 2006 3:17 AM PST

mac ds buger king
thats an excuse to be lazy

Collapse -
And a large proportion are vets who never re-integrated!
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / January 22, 2006 12:56 PM PST

But the VA appropriations have also been substantially cut by this Administration -- so much for the "thanks of a grateful nation!"

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Can you back that up with statistics?
by Evie / January 22, 2006 10:23 PM PST
Collapse -
Here you go, Evie -- Washington Times, especially for you
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / January 22, 2006 10:37 PM PST

since I know you wouldn't accept "leftist" sources...
Homeless Iraq vets showing up at shelters.

>> Nearly 300,000 veterans are homeless on any given night, and almost half served during the Vietnam era, according to the Homeless Veterans coalition, a consortium of community-based homeless-veteran service providers. While some experts have questioned the degree to which mental trauma from combat causes homelessness, a large number of veterans live with the long-term effects of post-traumatic stress disorder and substance abuse, according to the coalition....

Advocates said seeing homeless veterans from Iraq should cause alarm. Around one-fourth of all homeless Americans are veterans, and more than 75 percent of them have some sort of mental or substance abuse problem, often PTSD, according to the Homeless Veterans coalition.

More troubling, experts said, is that mental problems are emerging as a major casualty cluster, particularly from the war in Iraq where the enemy is basically everywhere and blends in with the civilian population, and death can come from any direction at any time. <<

Collapse -
VA statistics, Dave...
by J. Vega / January 23, 2006 1:38 AM PST

A quick search comes up with:
Although accurate numbers are impossible to come by ... no one keeps national records on homeless veterans ... the VA estimates that nearly 200,000 veterans are homeless on any given night. And more than half a million experience homelessness over the course of a year.
BTW, Estimates of the number of homeless people in the United States are imprecise, but in the late 1990s ranged from 700,000 per night to 2 million per year.

Collapse -
Is the percentage of veterans that ...
by Evie / January 23, 2006 1:39 AM PST

... are homeless different than the percentage of non-veterans?

Collapse -
To Evie...
by J. Vega / January 23, 2006 1:55 AM PST

Evie, I have forgotten the code to continue past the thread limit so I'll post this here. I don't know the percentage of veteran vs, non-veteran homeless, but I took a peek at the poverty figures from the last census, figuring that there is a connection between poverty and being homeless. According to the Census, 5.6 percent of veterans are living in poverty vs. 10.9 percent of the population as a whole.
I'll let somebody else search out the figure you wanted, I've got to get offline for a little bit to play paperwork - real estate can be a paperwork pain sometimes (grin).

Collapse -
and Big Bill and Jimmie did what to solve this in their
by Kiddpeat / January 23, 2006 7:35 AM PST

time?

Collapse -
Dave..I don't see any cuts in VA services..
by Rolway / January 23, 2006 10:04 AM PST

in this article. As a matter of fact they have increased services and benefits over the past few years. I can't link to any specific article, but its been in the media many times and from my experience, all those cuts the government talks about every year never take place anyway.

Part of that article says, if you where to read it all.

Peter Dougherty, director of Homeless Veterans Programs at the VA, said services for veterans at risk of becoming homeless have improved exponentially since the Vietnam era. Over the past 30 years, the VA has expanded from 170 hospitals, adding 850 clinics and 206 veteran centers with an increasing emphasis on mental health. The VA also supports around 300 homeless veteran centers like the ones run by U.S.VETS, a partially non-profit organization.

"You probably have close to 10 times the access points for service than you did 30 years ago," Dougherty said. "We may be catching a lot of these folks who are coming back with mental illness or substance abuse" before they become homeless in the first place. Dougherty said the VA serves around 100,000 homeless veterans each year.

George

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Not necessarily so
by Diana Forum moderator / January 21, 2006 1:00 PM PST
Collapse -
1st hand experience
by JP Bill / January 21, 2006 12:38 PM PST

If a person (dk) can't speak of the military, because he wasn't in the military.

Can another person (mark 5019) speak about politics because he wasn't a politician?

OR were you a politician?

Collapse -
LOL! Then I guess, JP
by Glenda / January 21, 2006 12:40 PM PST
In reply to: 1st hand experience

we had all better shut up about anything political!

Collapse -
I was student council president
by grimgraphix / January 21, 2006 12:42 PM PST
In reply to: LOL! Then I guess, JP

in high school... does that count?

grim

Collapse -
Sorry
by Glenda / January 21, 2006 12:47 PM PST

not enough graft and dirty politics in high school to qualify Devil

Collapse -
NO
by JP Bill / January 21, 2006 12:43 PM PST
In reply to: LOL! Then I guess, JP

we shoud just stop telling people that they don't have an opinion because they didn't serve.

Collapse -
and maybe before people make
by Glenda / January 21, 2006 12:50 PM PST
In reply to: NO

asinine statements about the military, and stick their foot in their mouths showing they know nothing about what they are talking about, they should either keep quiet or listen to the many in SE that do KNOW!

Collapse -
then glenda he anf them would have to admit
by Mark5019 / January 22, 2006 3:21 AM PST

being wrong again

Collapse -
you can have an opinion jp
by Mark5019 / January 22, 2006 3:21 AM PST
In reply to: NO

but opininions from armchair wariors are as good as the french in ww2:)

and when we want to talk about graft and coruption we will ask you as unions are the best at that.

Collapse -
LOL! You are right Mark.......
by Glenda / January 22, 2006 3:23 AM PST

JP can have an opinion on what we do in the USA:) It just doesn't count for squat!!! LOL

Collapse -
All our posts here in SE don't count for squat
by Bi0-Hazard / January 22, 2006 12:55 PM PST

They are just our opinion and that is the great thing about freedom; we can do anything we want.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?