Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

were's "File"?! -Microsoft Word 2000

by KivaBoy / April 6, 2004 6:32 AM PDT

I have found that lately (I don't remember when) the "File" part on my word toolbar (it was supposed to be next to "Edit") has disappeared! I also noticed that its only gone in Word, every other office aplication is fine.
so if any of you can help me out i'll be gratefull:-)
Wink Kiva

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: were's "File"?! -Microsoft Word 2000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: were's "File"?! -Microsoft Word 2000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:were's 'file'
by Kees Bakker / April 6, 2004 7:36 AM PDT

This is strange indeed. The menu bar is not configurable, and is supposed to be unchangeable.

- I should start with delete (or rename) all occurences of normal.dot on your hard disk.
- Then try other methods mentioned in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;242368&Product=ofw2k, although strictly speaking it doesn't apply.
- Then get the Office CD and repair Office from Setup.
- Then (having the Office CD at hand) uninstall and install Word. Backup your outlook.pst.
- Then unistall the whole of Office, use Microsofts Office eraser to finish it off, then reinstall Office.
- Then download Open Office and forget about MS Word

Somewhere along this evening of work the problem should be repaired. If you're lucky: already with the first step.

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Kees

Collapse -
Here you go...
by caktus / April 6, 2004 5:06 PM PDT

1. Open Word 2000
2. Right click on a blank area of the Tool bar.
3. Left click on "Cutomize".
4. Left click on the "Commands" tab.
5. In the "Catagories:" column scroll to and select "Built-in Menu".
6. In the "Commands:" column left click on and drag "File" to the desired location on the Tool bar and release.

Happy Word-ing

Collapse -
Thanks guys but no cigar?
by KivaBoy / April 7, 2004 4:23 AM PDT

I tried Caktus?s method, but it didn?t work (thanks anyway) and for Kees Bakker?s method ? well, with all due respect, and no offence ? I?d shoot myself in the head first.
So if anyone knows of a method that is fool proof (or in other words: that I can do it) then please notify me.
Thanks Wink a lot? KIVA

Collapse -
Re:Thanks guys but no cigar?
by Kees Bakker / April 7, 2004 4:33 AM PDT

Kiva,

Deleting normal.dot is really easy, and really totally harmless, and has a good chance of being a solution.
I take it you know how to find files in Explorer (Tools>Find>Files or Folders. Then type in the name field normal.dot and search the whole hard disk (c: ). This shows them all.
To delete: select them and press del-key.

I can imagine you don't want to fool with the registry. You might find someone who dares to do it.

And putting in the Office CD, running setup, choosing repair Office, is also safe and easy.

Same goes, in my opinion, for uninstalling and reinstalling this same way. Insert the CD, run setup (it might appear automatically) and follow the instructions to remove Word. Then the same for install it again.
It's about the same as the first time you installed the program.

Nothing to worry about. Just do it.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Sorry and thanks to Kees
by KivaBoy / April 7, 2004 5:47 AM PDT

I would like to apologies to you Kees, you really know your stuff? IT WORKED!!!:-)
Thanks again to all of you (the two of you) for trying to help.
Kiva;-)

Collapse -
You're welcome.
by Kees Bakker / April 7, 2004 7:55 AM PDT

Kiva,

The level of expertise on this forum varies greatly, from newbies to people asking advice on Visual Basic programming. So (unless the question makes clear that somebody is a newbie) I don't start with giving too detailed instructions. That could be considered an offence also.
Details can always be added later on, when asked. So no need to say sorry.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.