Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.

Thanks,

CNET Support

General discussion

WEP more insecure

Apr 4, 2007 12:08AM PDT

"Our attack

We were able to extend Klein's attack and optimize it for usage against WEP. Using our version, it is possible to recover a 104 bit WEP key with probability 50% using just 40,000 captured packets. For 60,000 available data packets, the success probability is about 80% and for 85,000 data packets about 95%. Using active techniques like deauth and ARP re-injection, 40,000 packets can be captured in less than one minute under good condition. The actual computation takes about 3 seconds and 3 MB main memory on a Pentium-M 1.7 GHz and can additionally be optimized for devices with slower CPUs. The same attack can be used for 40 bit keys too with an even higher success probability."

http://www.cdc.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/aircrack-ptw/

WEP is better than nothing. It will stop most of your neighbours from freeloading. However, it is almost useless against a knowledgable attacker. Use WAP instead.

Discussion is locked

- Collapse -
OSX Problems with WAP
Apr 4, 2007 6:38AM PDT

I have always used WAP in the past until "wonderful" apple released an update that was supposed to increase wireless connectivity to routers and other devices, however it would no longer connect with my router anymore that was using WAP, it seems, but is not limited to D-Link routers, or least thats the majority of routers that people are reporting that wont connect with the apple computers anymore. So I guess I'm vulnerable to attack because I have to use WEP, anyone else with an apple encountered the WAP problem?

P.S. WAP works fine on Windows Vista on my MacBook.

- Collapse -
Did you try mixed mode on router?
Apr 4, 2007 6:52AM PDT
- Collapse -
do you mean WPA?
Apr 4, 2007 1:43PM PDT

I'm confused as to whether you had problems with WEP or WPA encryption

- Collapse -
Oops.
Apr 4, 2007 4:09PM PDT

I did mean to say use WPA (WiFi Protected Access) instead of WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy).

WAP (Wireless Application Protocol) is "an open, global specification that empowers mobile users with wireless devices to easily access and interact with information and services instantly".

WPA is supported by MacOSX starting with 10.4 (Tiger).

Acronym brain fart.

- Collapse -
Thanks for clearing that up
Apr 4, 2007 5:52PM PDT

I was wondering what the heel you were talking about at first. Wink