General discussion

went to get computer fixed and i got cheated

i went to get my computer fixed because i broke the processor, i had a 2.0 ghz AMD 3200+ and when i got it back i looked on "basic info about your computer" and it sed i had a AMD 3000+ with a 1.79 GHZ processor
with 300 something MB of ram instead of 512, did i get cheated? should i call them back and ask them to replace it, can i get my money back?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: went to get computer fixed and i got cheated
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: went to get computer fixed and i got cheated
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
It depends

on just how specific you were in your instructions regarding the repair, what was put into writing, what the posted or stated refund policies of the shop are, etc.

I had a similar experience about a year ago when I had a new system built. I had known the shop owner slightly for several years, and had a degree of confidence in him. I thought that we were comunicating well, and that I had expressed my desire for high quality, if not top-of-the-line, components. But nothing was put in writing, and he had other ideas about our conversation. Yes, I got a good price, but the mobo, the processor, and the case were not what I had really expected. He did fix a couple of minor things, but I was disappointed overall. The lesson learned is to be specific and get it in writing, no matter how good the reputation of the shop.

In your case, I certainly would question the shop owner regarding the missing menory and the degrading of the processor. But if you don't have the repair specs in writing, you might have to pay more for the processor, but should not for the RAM.

Hope this helps

Frank

- Collapse -
Better yet,how much for the switch?

Hope not over $300..00

- Collapse -
More specific

What type of pc? Where was it fixed at? I have an emachines and the company fixed mine, downgraded it also, really ticked me off. I guess some have a range they can repair it at and not have to be specific. Example, some can come with 2.0 processor but can but a bit of a higher or lower one in as long as within a certain range. This stinks but true none the less. If you have taken it to a standard repair shop that you paid to have it done? This makes a world of difference. Also it sounds like you were under warranty and they replaced your ram with 3 128 sticks instead of 2 256 or one 512. This would explain the processor also. As mentioned, my cpu was 2.0 and now is 1.73 after being fixed. Instead of 1 512, I have 2-256. which really stinks.
Paul

- Collapse -
By all means call back and talk to the vendor

Do you have anything that shows or evidences the PC before you brought it in ? If so...might be handy to have available to show the vendor.

What instructionsn if any did you provide ?

Any idea what caused the failure and what parts were actually defective or kaput ?

What did they charge ...itemize please.

VAPCMD

- Collapse -
heres a more detailed question

i accidently broke the sticks of the processor, so i got them fixed, it says 2.0 amd athalon 64 processor on the front of my emachines t612, it also sez how much ram,512, but i still have 2 sticks of ram,

- Collapse -
heres a answer

i accidently broke the sticks of the processor, so i got them fixed, it says 2.0 amd athalon 64 processor on the front of my emachines t612, it also sez how much ram,512, but i still have 2 sticks of ram,

- Collapse -
here's my answer

If it's that new , you shouldn't have been horsing around, you're lucky they even fixed it by you opening it.
Paul

- Collapse -
The Rest of the story

You ask for advice but haven't told us the rest of the story.

Did you pay for this repair or was it fixed under warranty ? Do you have an itemized invoice for the repair ? What did they tell you was wrong and did they give you any options ?

Based on what you said thus far...call the vendor and report the problem. He/she isn't going to fix a problem they are not aware of. Ask about the processor and the RAM. You shouldn't end up with less than what you had in the system when it was brought in. You should have a detailed invoice from your purchase that reflects the original purchase.
Re the RAM...could have been a simple mistake when they put the DIMMs back in. They pick up one DIMM with 256MBs and another which looks similar but is only 64MBs.

Hope this helps and reminds you to stay out of the box or get some knowledgeable help.

VAPCMD

CNET Forums

Forum Info