Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Well, that didn't take long. Class action lawsuit filed

by Kiddpeat / November 10, 2005 8:22 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Well, that didn't take long. Class action lawsuit filed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Well, that didn't take long. Class action lawsuit filed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Good! Sony deserves this for what they did
by Evie / November 10, 2005 10:33 AM PST
Collapse -
I love it!
by Paul C / November 10, 2005 11:47 PM PST

From the story:

On Thursday, Sony released a statement ''deeply regretting any disruption that this may have caused.'' It also said it was working with Symantec and other firms to ensure any content-protection technology ''continues to be safe.''

That's the generic Japanese apology (I lived in Japan, and think I know this well) that covers up a desparate search for a corporate head to remove.

The copy-protection software, which Sony says is a necessary ''speed bump'' to limit how many times a CD is copied, only works on Windows-based PCs. Users of
Macintosh and Linux computers are not restricted.

I'm going to go buy a bunch of these CD's, fire up my Mandrake Linux installation and just have a great old time! Devil Didn't it occur to these geniuses that a copy protection scheme that only works on one operating system (albeit the most popular one) is useless?

A member of my church was until his recent retirement the head of Sony's huge CD production facility in Terre Haute, Indiana. He spent a lot of time in Japan and here with senior Sony executives, and knows whereof he speaks. Last Sunday, I mentioned this to him, and he told me that Sony's American IT folks warned the company against this, but that the decision had already been made.

Sony's bed has also been made - let it lie in that bed!

Collapse -
Sony should be held legally responsible also for all
by Roger NC / November 11, 2005 7:04 AM PST

damage and inconvience done by malaware using its cloaking to undetectably rob information, create bots for DOS attacks, cause loss of data, and system failures.

Roger

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) New York, too.
by Dan McC / November 10, 2005 11:45 PM PST
Collapse -
I read somewhere this morning
by Cindi Haynes / November 11, 2005 2:46 AM PST

That you can get instructions on how to remove Sony's proggie from your computer but you have to fill out 2 online forms to get it.

Now, how ya gonna know whether ya need the forms or not if the proggie's hidden??

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
And the bad part about it is
by TONI H / November 11, 2005 3:02 AM PST

that you also have to have IE being used to download and send the forms because they are Active X controls to do so by request since you can't get to the files you need without it....but

They don't mention that you have to enter the FAQ's on their site before you even FIND the links to what you need...it's not on the homepage anywhere....

AND, there is NO mention about whether the tools you finally DO get will ALSO remove the ActiveX controls they forced on you.

AND the forms you have to fill out to REQUEST the uninstaller information wants your entire life history regarding how you got the cd, where you got it from, proof of purchase, your name, address, email addy, etc. from what I understand after reading the blogs about this.

What a freaking joke........

TONI

Collapse -
My FAQ:
by Paul C / November 11, 2005 3:52 AM PST

Q. How do I rid myself of this backdoor trojan?

A. It's simple: 1) At a command prompt, type "format C:" and enter. 2) NEVER buy a Sony-manufactured CD again.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) hahahahahah
by TONI H / November 11, 2005 3:55 AM PST
In reply to: My FAQ:
Collapse -
Skip their forms
by CWatkinsNash / November 11, 2005 9:00 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Uncloaks....but removal they want forms.
by Cindi Haynes / November 12, 2005 9:12 AM PST
In reply to: Skip their forms
Collapse -
Sorry, got it backwards
by CWatkinsNash / November 12, 2005 10:05 AM PST

I have a tendency to re-write my posts before I post them and usually end up leaving something out. Happy The Symantec link I posted has the removal tool for it. Along with a recommendation to apply Sony's update patch (presumably to change people's mind about removing it).

''It has been reported that a computer with this security risk on it may also have other security risks installed.'' Well, it's not exactly an admission that the rootkit allowed it, but it's something.

Christa

Collapse -
Does this problem apply to just Sony CD's,
by duckman / November 11, 2005 3:57 AM PST

or with any music you download from their site? I have a couple of free downloads that I am owed from Sony.

Collapse -
I think it's
by TONI H / November 11, 2005 4:18 AM PST

only on their actual cd's because it's included with the autorun.ini instructions to install it at that time. There's no telling if it has been done with any Sony devices, such as their cdroms, their pcs themselves, their laptops.......and it affects all of their labels that they are involved with, including BMG.

We still don't know if it's included on their MOVIE cd's yet since they are also affiliated with a number of them such as Columbia.

TONI

Collapse -
Also...they are the only
by TONI H / November 11, 2005 4:19 AM PST
In reply to: I think it's

industry mogul so far to 'come clean' about this rootkit. It is also unknown if the others were doing it as well and just kept quiet about it...so far.

TONI

Collapse -
I haven't yet downloaded Sony stuff,
by duckman / November 11, 2005 4:21 AM PST
In reply to: I think it's

but it's like ITunes where you have to download their application for downloading from them.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Good thing I only pirate my music :-P
by dirtyrich / November 11, 2005 4:19 AM PST
Collapse -
What gets me is.........
by Glenda / November 11, 2005 6:32 AM PST

After Sony announced this, How stupid can anyone be to play one of their CD's on their computer?? Oh sure, just wipe out my PC, I love to format Devil

Collapse -
The problem is, possibly,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 11, 2005 9:45 AM PST

that a great deal of people just don't care what they put on their machines, are not aware that it is possible to do this sort of thing, It will not happen to me, I have Anti-Spyware running, and so on.

Just tell someone not to open an specific email attachment and you can guarantee that they will not only open it, they will forward it on to everyone they know.

Just another reason not to use Windows.

P

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Windows isn't the problem, it's the user
by duckman / November 11, 2005 9:55 AM PST
Collapse -
Have always used Windows, and ..........
by Glenda / November 11, 2005 10:03 AM PST

Have never had a virus! Some people are just stupid and that can't be helped]:)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Agreed !!!!
by duckman / November 11, 2005 10:26 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) :):)
by Glenda / November 11, 2005 10:55 AM PST
In reply to: (NT) Agreed !!!!
Collapse -
Sony halts anti-piracy software
by EdH / November 11, 2005 9:19 PM PST

Temporarily.

Link

As predicted, several viruses have begun piggybacking on the Sony program to attack computers, antivirus firms said Friday. Like most viruses infecting computers in the past year, the malicious programs are designed to take over computers and make them part of zombie networks, or botnets, that can be used to send spam or attack Web sites.

Collapse -
CNet's FAQ for Rootkit
by Evie / November 11, 2005 9:46 PM PST
Collapse -
Well you know what guys....
by AdelaideJohn1967 / November 12, 2005 2:04 PM PST

The answer is simple buy a MAC......

Sinc a Mac isn't affected get a Mac lol........

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!