The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Well just got my iPhone

I'm in Sydney Australia, and iPhone just been launched here. I went on the 12th.... Lined up at 9:30AM..... At the Sydney Apple store.
Got home only at 8PM! That's how awful the instore activation process was.... well the activation actually only took 10 seconds. What took the time was the mobile phone company only had 11 people at the store to make the contracts! And it took around 15 minutes per person.
Lets just say this store had more iPhone's than they can sell, stock is not the problem staff is.
I suppose I could have gone to Telstra's store just next door, who was selling them unlocked for $1000. But that is a lot to put down on a phone in one go... Infact most people preferred to line up for hours at the apple store than go to Telstra, who had obscene plans, $110 for 100MB....
But there was a small line there that didn't get out to the street. I guess Telstra had 2 things going for them. Excellent 3G coverage even in rural areas and an unlocked iPhone.
Anyway, I got it and was playing with the iPhone right away. Was all remarkably painless once I actually got through the awful mess of details and ID the phone company wanted.
And it's a very nice phone. It's missing copy and paste though. And 16GB is just pathetic. But I couldn't wait another year for a 3rd generation phone.... It has some weird oddities too, like it forces me to use iPhoto to get photos off the device, although the quality of pictures it takes, it's certainly not a replacement for a camera.
Overall I was quite satisfied though, my reaction wasn't so much this is a great phone. It was more finally a phone that works as well as I expect it to. The first phone I haven't wanted to smash with a hammer for bad UI.

Also I'd like to jailbreak it, as a OS X geek, I feel naked without BSD and bash. Wink Black boxes that just work without you being able to get into them, scare me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Well just got my iPhone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Well just got my iPhone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wow...

In reply to: Well just got my iPhone

That seems like such an ordeal for "just" a phone, but if you're happy with it, that's all that matters. Happy

Collapse -
Well..

In reply to: Wow...

It's not like I expected to be in a queue the whole day!

Collapse -
Let us know what real world battery life is like on the 3G

I've noticed that the 2.0 firmware for the 1G iPhone seems to suck the power out lot quicker. I'm guessing its the push functions or the intermittent location checks because I keep bluetooth and wifi off until I need them. Not that I'm complaining because now even the old iPhone can track you moving down the street instead of just at points where you ask it to.

Haven't decided whether the speed and the real GPS make it worth upgrading. The new firmware and the app store is going to keep me occupied for quite a while. No jail-breaking for me. I understand the appeal, but I can't afford to have my phone go down nor do I care to spend hours scouring discussion boards looking for solutions to problems I created by knowing just enough to get myself into a jamb but not enough to get myself out.

Collapse -
Well done! I didn't have as much luck

I was second in line at my local store on the 11th, but they didn't have any 16GB Black models for pre-paid customers. Was sucky. But congratulations on getting one!

Collapse -
PS

Ahh, image capture program is far more flexible than iphoto. That's more like it.

Collapse -
My story from the Sydney Apple Store

I don't know which carrier you are with but I was also at the apple store in Sydney. Optus which by far had the longest line had around 30 staff members inside the store. For most of the day they had two members as well as an apple employee for every customer.

So I got to the apple store at 530am, the store didn't open till 8am.
I was about 80th in the cue, and the cue went across the expansive
store front and then went around the corner. It was quite amusing that
as it went past a store front security made people leave a gap, but
once the store opened those holes filled up quickly.

When the store opened we moved from out the front to cueing up in
inside the store on the ground level, the Sydney store has 3 levels.
There was 3 different cues for the different carriers here in
Australia, Optus, Vodafone and Telstra. Not surprising the Optus line
was massive as they have easily the best plans. Vodafone and Telstra
would have had a total of 10 people all up - fail lol. A long time
went by before the first of the cheering started and it took ages for
the next. Everybody thought that it was taking forever for them to get
through people. We were then told that the servers at Optus had gone
down so they couldn't process people. As it was the Optus servers and
not Apple activation servers we had to wait. 3 hours went by until the
first of the Optus phones were handed out. Because of the massive
problems Optus was having they had reinforcements come in so for every
apple employee signing people up they had at least one Optus employee
help out and for some people they had 2 Optus employees.

Finally at 1130am I made my way up to stairs where they had turned the
second floor into the sign up area using iMac's. The first thing I
noticed is that they had VMWare Fusion installed on the iMac's used to
sign people up for Optus. They were running Internet Explorer to
connect to Optus's online sign up section. I thought this was a little
amusing in the Apple store. Anyway I signed up to Optus's $89 plan for
24 months which gives me 850mb of data a month and $600 worth of calls
(I don't know why they don't just give you it in minutes, however the
$600 includes sms and calls are charged at 35c per 30 seconds). On
this plan I got my 16gb iPhone for free, err well no additional cost
which was nice.

When I was signing up they had two sim cards on the desk. They
accidentally entered one card into the system and put the other one in
my phone. They worked out they put the wrong sim card in my phone so
switched it over. Unfortunately for me they did this after they
activated the phone in iTunes. Luckily for me I had gone up the genus
bar to get my .mac account put into the phone. When I got up there and
turned the phone on I got an error warning saying I had the incorrect
sim card please activate in iTunes. So bak down stairs I went and it
took another 30mins to get it fixed.

Finally I had my .mac account details put into my phone and all my
contacts, email, calendar was automatically synced. This worked
extremely well and I was very impressed how quickly it synced
everything. I finally left the store at 1230 to venture off to work.

I think its a bit rich to turn up at 9:30am on the launch day when people had been lining up over night and others got there very early in the morning and complain you didn't get out till 8pm. I counted 30 iMac's on the second level and another 15 on the third floor all signing people up. From what I saw there wasn't any more space to put people to register phones.

Collapse -
Hang on

In reply to: My story from the Sydney Apple Store

What's this about the sim card? Is it only that other sim card wasn't enabled? Happy
Why did it need to be activated again?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.