Speakeasy forum

General discussion

well as the cut off for bats was reached sucks i had to sta

start new josh remeber these words i am bigger then they are i am not afraid Grin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: well as the cut off for bats was reached sucks i had to sta
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: well as the cut off for bats was reached sucks i had to sta
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: well as the cut off for bats was reached sucks i had to

In reply to: well as the cut off for bats was reached sucks i had to sta

What are you saying Mark? Even trying to put some kind of punctuation (period) in your sentence I can't make out what it is you are saying.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: well as the cut off for bats was reached sucks i had to

was 1 sentence
whats so hard to read
start new josh remeber these words i am bigger then they are i am not afraid Grin

Collapse -

Hmmm...one sentence...still trying to get on your page maybe with commas, but trying to make heads/tails of what you are saying.."... bats was reached sucks...."

Collapse -
The layer limit was reached in Josh's "bats" thread

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ty cindi unreal how some make big deal out of my speac

In reply to: The layer limit was reached in Josh's "bats" thread

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) But the bats have sharper teeth and they can fly!

In reply to: The layer limit was reached in Josh's "bats" thread

Collapse -
And most importantly.....

In reply to: (NT) But the bats have sharper teeth and they can fly!

....they're....BATS. Ecch.

We had some unexpected (human) company for dinner last night so the bat hunt had to be put off till today. We left the attic light on last night and all was well this morning.

Collapse -
Re: And most importantly.....

In reply to: And most importantly.....

true they have teeth thats why u wear gloves use coffee can or something simular and carefully remove them they dont want you for food

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: And most importantly.....

Yep, bats around these parts want insects for food. Some South American bats suck blood out of cattle. Not sure if they have done to humans.

BTW has anyone mentioned that some bats carry Rabies. Animal experts around here have cautioned people in the newspaper and on TV about handling bats and take Rabies shots if the bat that bit is not captured or killed for exam.

Collapse -

Bats have been known to carry rabies though it's rarer than people think; in fact I think there was a rabies alert not too far from us, not sure if bats were included but I'll be checking into it.

They're not at all aggressive and if they get caught in your hair or whatever it's most likely because they're scared/confused. Most of the bad press is unearned, but they are gross, aren't they!

I had gardening gloves on the other day when we captured bat #3. When I go into that storage area, I plan to have the gloves on as well as safety glasses. I won't be trying to capture anything; just want to see if they're in there. If they are, the only thing I'll be picking up will be the phone.

Collapse -

I had to take Rabies shots as a kid, one each day for 21 days, in the stomach, for playing with a puppy that turned out to have Rabies after foaming at the mouth. The Cops shot it. They sent the head off to Austin for determination.

The Public Health Department here will be very upset if someone doesn't take Rabies shots after being bit by a Bat, and the Bat cannot be found...just like being bit by a dog and the dog cannot be found.

Collapse -

No doubt the same fate would await me or a member of my family, another reason we have to get this dealt with ASAP.

Collapse -
Just a thought. . .

In the areas that the bats like to hang out, what's chances that you could put up (temporarily, of course), a few rollls of that sticky-bottomed shelf liner paper, with the sticky side down (slick side towards the ceiling)? Hang them across the ceiling with tape at the edges or push pins, and the bats will either get caught in it, or will be deterred since they want to be able to land somewhere that they can hold onto, but that won't hold onto them.

It worked here when we were missing a hamster that was devouring my income tax receipts and making them into bedding while he was on the run. Of course, we had to put it lower for the hamster, since he only flew after he'd bite someone's hand Wink

Collapse -
Re: Just a thought. . .

In reply to: Just a thought. . .

Hi Diane:

We're working on some stopgaps. For example, the attic door doesn't fit its frame very well and there's a gap at the top. We have a towel stuffed in there at the moment but I'm going to get some wood and fill in the space more permanently. There's also a hole in the ceiling in the closet in my daughter's room that was drilled by the previous owners for a roof TV antenna wire. The hole is probably big enough for a bat to squeeze through and it goes right up into that storage area in the attic, so I'm going to be spackling over it tonight. Stuff like that.

I don't want to do glue traps or anything similar in concept. I used to work in a bar that used them in the basement, and it's awful. Mice would get caught in them and either starve to death or die of exhaustion or panic trying to pull themselves out.

Collapse -
Re: Just a thought. . .

In reply to: Re: Just a thought. . .

Know what you mean. I live trap and release squirrels as they can each eat/store up to 60 lbs of pecans a season. They need to be released ASAP, I would say within 4-5 hours, or in their panic may have a heart attack, dying of fright that they cannot get out of the have-a-heart cage.

When I was very small, my Dad brought home a baby squirrel with its eyes barely open. They were out in the woods cutting down trees for firewood and a nest was found in one of the cut trees. The squirrel was nursed and kept in a cage about 3X4 ft. When grown it would recognize us as feeders, but would bite if given a chance, and never liked being in the cage at all. My Dad released it in the wild.

JR
My Dad and I often hunted squirrels for the delicious brown gravy stew my mother would make.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Me neither! Maybe we're illiterate!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.