Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Well, as 2003 comes to a close, we should issue some awards.

by IanC_OZ / December 25, 2003 8:53 PM PST

My award for the ability to maintain politesse whilst working in an untenable situation goes to: (drum roll) Lee Koo.

My award for sheer chutzpah, demanding people read entire segments of USA legislation before their opinion on anything counts: Edward O'Daniel

My award for ability to resist belittling posts designed to abolish alternate viewpoints through pressure and persistence in reiteration of the unimportant and unrelated: Why, ME, of course.

My award for the ability to view the entire universe through a single political lense: Dave Konkel.

My award for being a sweet momma with a backbone of steel: Angeline Booher.

My award for lurking with intent: Dave Evans.

My award for invisibility of a moderator: Diana Heald.

My award for the temper of a tiger and the verbal skills of a thriller writer: Toni Hackler.

My award for sheer persistence: T. Lee.

My award for persistence with an endless ability to restructure the universe: Dale.

Come on guys and gals, issue your awards.

Happy

Ian

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Well, as 2003 comes to a close, we should issue some awards.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Well, as 2003 comes to a close, we should issue some awards.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re Watch out. Ian !!! This could be the start of something
by Mary Kay / December 25, 2003 10:14 PM PST

we don't really want to know about ourselves. Happy

Collapse -
Re:Well, as 2003 comes to a close, we should issue some awards.
by Edward ODaniel / December 26, 2003 1:08 AM PST

Thanks for the award Ian.

I realize that basing opinion on actual information and existing law is unpopular but that is how it goes.

Facts are indeed dryer than fiction but tend to be solid and fulfilling and stay with you rather than mutable and filling but leaving you feeling hungry for sustenance (like how one feels a short while after eating at a Chinese restraunt).

Your award to self missed the mark though as it should have been based on your ability to ignore the relevant and focus on the irrelevant and often completely imagined words.

Collapse -
nt) baboom :-)
by IanC_OZ / December 26, 2003 4:03 PM PST

Collapse -
Re:Well, as 2003 comes to a close, we should issue some awards.
by Evie / December 26, 2003 1:21 AM PST
My award for ability to resist belittling posts designed to abolish alternate viewpoints through pressure and persistence in reiteration of the unimportant and unrelated: Why, ME, of course. Ian Clark

Thankyou for providing yet another example for my award to you for "Posts most colored by self-delusion and imagination"
Collapse -
nt) hee hee. Ed beatcha to the punch Evie, though yours was more pungent {VVBG}
by IanC_OZ / December 26, 2003 4:05 PM PST

Collapse -
Usually personalities are in the eye of the beerholder, however ....
by Rosalie / December 26, 2003 1:21 AM PST

I'm waiting for Jonah or James to weight in, they are pretty good at stuff like this.

Collapse -
Thank you kindly for the lead in...since Ian is obviously straining for a personal award...

...I give to him the Ultimate Piss Off Award. Although I thought maybe Charlie (or would that be Donald?) should have taken it this year, yet in his wildest machinations, queries and eternal suppositions I must give it to Ian, who single handedly managed to Piss Off absolutely ALL of SE with his not once, but twice slow down and crashing of all ZDNET forums using his mirroring software. Somewhere in there should have been a minor award, maybe second place for Chutzpah in the relating of how appropriate it was to do and how much everyone benefitted (not seen to date).

To Jack Amman I give the Unknown Poster Awardfor somehow convincing people that he might not be who he claimed he was.

To John Robie I give the Texas Bulldog Awardfor not knowing when to let go of a victim.

To Keith Marcotte I give the Missing Man Award for always being MIA when SE would have a blowup.

To Marcia Butler I give the Most Tolerant Award since no matter what war was going on in SE at the time she seemed to be flying in from some other place oblivious to the flames that surrounded her.

Time fails me, so ....

Collapse -
Re:Thank you kindly for the lead in...since Ian is obviously straining for a personal award...
I give to him the Ultimate Piss Off Award. Although I thought maybe Charlie (or would that be Donald?) should have taken it this year, yet in his wildest machinations, queries and eternal suppositions I must give it to Ian, who single handedly managed to Piss Off absolutely ALL of SE with his not once, but twice slow down and crashing of all ZDNET forums using his mirroring software. Somewhere in there should have been a minor award, maybe second place for Chutzpah in the relating of how appropriate it was to do and how much everyone benefitted (not seen to date).

what a pity the award could not be shared.......

david williams
Collapse -
You're too kind James....

Ian had everyone in forums ticked off, not just SE.

As for my award, I would like to thank the Scouts for ensuring that I was camping, canoeing, hiking,... when the "Friday night fights" started.

As for awards to be given out, I'm torn between so many nominees for Politicizing a non-political topic. I await the 500 post threads in 2004 on the political conspiracies that cause the sun to rise in the east and why the sky is blue.

I give an Attaboy to all ZDNet/Cnet mods for their dedication and help in the forums. Countless honorable mentions go to regulars in the technical forums for their help as well.

Collapse -
Can't pass this one up.................... ;)

**To Marcia Butler I give the Most Tolerant Award since no matter what war was going on in SE at the time she seemed to be flying in from some other place oblivious to the flames that surrounded her.**

As a single mother, new homeowner, computer tech person, and hospice social worker, I can't think of anything that pleases me more right now than being thought of as "tolerant".

I thank you, James, for making me smile Happy

To all my friends at SpeakEasy, I extend a belated, but heartfelt, Happy Holidays!!!

Take care and be safe
Marcia
Oregon/USA

Collapse -
nt) Why, thank you, James, its so good to be remembered. Have a great 2004. :-)

Collapse -
I almost forgot! The "Most Recycled Graphic" Award goes to...

Ed O'Daniel for his (or someone's {heh heh}) Charlie Tuna gif. And now, hopefully for one last time Ed O'Daniel presents...

Collapse -
Re:I almost forgot! The
by Edward ODaniel / December 29, 2003 4:54 AM PST
Collapse -
nt) omigawd, the logs, the logs, I'm crushed by the logs once again.
by IanC_OZ / December 29, 2003 9:09 AM PST

Collapse -
VERY ODD, the above 3 posts were marked read before I read them.
by Roger NC / February 21, 2004 4:21 AM PST

though rest of thread acted normal.

Collapse -
Check the date of this thread Roger ...
by Evie / February 21, 2004 4:51 AM PST

... you probably read them long ago. The earlier posts may have expired from your browser history while the last few remained.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
(NT)Hmmm, ok, maybe that is it, didn't notice the dates, DUH
by Roger NC / February 21, 2004 5:15 AM PST

Collapse -
The awards I would give would be to...
by Glenda / December 26, 2003 3:36 AM PST

close to the mark and would irritate 3-4 people entirely to much to post! hehehe

Glenda

Collapse -
NT - I'm here just not posting as much as I used to
by Diana Forum moderator / December 26, 2003 7:03 AM PST

Collapse -
Re: not posting as much -- too busy pounding the pavement, no doubt.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / December 26, 2003 12:18 PM PST

Best of luck on finding a new job EARLY in 2004, Diana!
-- Merry Christmas!
Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
NT - and taking classes - both online and classroom.
by Diana Forum moderator / December 26, 2003 8:26 PM PST

Collapse -
Been away awhile - much fun reading this thread and nice to be back...
by Mosonnow / December 26, 2003 8:45 PM PST

Heard a good one recently:

Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes, cos this (a) puts you a mile away from him, and (b) you've got his shoes. (Probably an old one, but what the heck.)

You folks are experts at this game and I've missed you a lot.

Happy new year to all.

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
That IS a good one!

And I had not heard it before. Saved it, of course, and will share it with others.

Welcome back!

Hopefully there will be other things to enjoy here than these games.

Best wishes for a good New Year to you and yours, as well.

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
(NT) Hope this wasn't too shallow - even for me! I've benefitted much from the forums overall.
by Mosonnow / December 27, 2003 2:28 AM PST
In reply to: That IS a good one!

Collapse -
Not at all.
Collapse -
(NT) Message has been deleted.
Collapse -
Sheesh! Not true, However...
by Glenda / December 27, 2003 4:41 AM PST

when we do get posts pulled you don't see us whining about WHY? WHY? or hitting the mod alert because of it!

Glenda

Collapse -
Sheesh! Not true, However...Actually Glenda
by dawillie / December 27, 2003 5:28 AM PST

the last time i was notified by email a few days before Christmas, i responed to the email.

my response was 'thank you'.

the thread in question was Charlie's opinion that the Geneva Convention had been violated by showing Sadaam Husein's picture.

sorry, link not available.

lol.

david williams

Collapse -
LOL David........
by Glenda / December 27, 2003 5:56 AM PST

But you didn't need cheese when you replied:))

Glenda

Collapse -
Re:LOL David........
by dawillie / December 27, 2003 1:02 PM PST
In reply to: LOL David........

in a word, no.
david

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?