This post is to help with the installation of Mac OSX. First off, make sure that your Mac system could install the operating system. This guide is based on the installation of Mac OSX Leopard, but it will work almost the same way in Tiger. The apple site has the detailed system requirements to install Leopard or Tiger. Here are the links:
Before you start the install, make sure you have all the needed products to perform it. The Mac OS CD?s or DVD?s, Backup media, Application media, and serial numbers for your apps. External drives will be your best backup option. You can buy them very cheap at many retail stores online, or stores which sells computer electronics.
Now for the good part. I will explain the process step by step so it will be easy to follow.
1. Backup all your data (All of it!). This is the most important thing. Losing all your data is such a pain.
2. I will advise to disconnect all peripherals attached to your Mac. Sometimes external drives and other
devices may cause problems. A standard keyboard and mouse should not have any problems.
3. Turn on your Mac and insert the install disk, then hold the C key to boot from the OS X install disk.
4. When the install is loaded, there are many paths to go down here. You can reinstall the operating
system from Time Machine (Leopard?s backup system) or install from the media disk.
5. Before you begin the install, you will need to format the disk if you just replaced it. In the top menu bar; click
utilities then disk utility. There you can reformat,verify repair disk and even partition your drive.
6. To install Tiger or Leopard the hard drive has to be formated in the Mac OS Extended Journaled format. Here is a
link to a site with step by step visuals to format your hard disk for Mac OS.
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/partitioning_tiger.html. Just make sure you do not format your backup
7. Leopard users, Apple has posted an install pdf so you can follow here:
Tiger users: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Tiger_Install_Setup_Guide.pdf
8. Users restoring from Time Machine follow the same guide and go to the restore system function page.
9. Reading and following these guides will help you to install OS X successfully with very little problems.
10. For advance users I will advise you to customize you installing by selecting only the apps and tools you need.
This will save a few gigs of space; e.g printer drivers, other fonts ad languages. Click the customize button after
you select your install destination.
11. After installing Mac OS X, a setup assistant will be launched. Follow directions till you get to your desktop. At
this time you can transfer your data, if you did not transfer it using the setup assistant menu.
12. Resist from diving in to all the new goodies, and surfing the waves. Now is the time to update the system. Go to
the apple menu which is located in the top left corner of your desktop. Navigate to software update and
download all the updates for your system.
Note* If you have Apple applications on CD?s or DVD?s install them before you launch software update, this will
install any new updates of the program. At this point I do not advise to install third part applications until
the full update is complete. Some updates require restarting your system. After restart keep checking to
make sure you have installed all updates.
13. At this point you can install all your third party apps. Just make sure they are compatible with the operating
14. For new users to the Mac family installing apps is a little different from other operating systems. Here is
another link which shows how to install apps on a Mac.
15. Customize the OS to your liking.
16.Now is the time to run maintenance for your system. Mac requires very little maintenance because of the
system structure. Your mac is set up to run maintenance scripts at night when it is not in use. There are a few
apps which you can use to maintain your mac when you need it on demand.
Coctail- http://www.maintain.se/cocktail/index.php (Paid software)
Mainmenu- http://www.santasw.com/ (Free)
Onyx- http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs2/english/download.html (Free)
Note* These apps will make sure that your mac runs smooth. The default setup should not hurt your Mac,
for advanced user there are many tools built into these apps to twick your system to your liking.
After refreshing your mac it is now time to enjoy using it.
*Cnet?s download.com provides a mac software page where you can get paid and free apps for your system.
Here is the link: http://www.download.com/Mac/