HolidayBuyer's Guide

Download.com Site Feedback forum

General discussion

Welcome to the CNET Download.com site forum!

by peterbutler Download.com staff / September 24, 2007 8:32 AM PDT

Hello, everyone, and welcome to a new CNET forum dedicated to the CNET Download.com Web site.

In addition to all of the the specific information you can find in any of the individual software forums on CNET, you can also ask questions, post suggestions, or make comments about the CNET Download.com site here, and someone from the CNET Download.com staff, the CNET staff, or the download community can respond.

If you have a specific question or complaint for which you would like an official response from CNET, please contact us using the CNET Help Center, which also includes an extensive knowledgebase for searching for support answers to common questions.

This forum exists as a more casual method for CNET Download.com staffers and users to create a communal discussion about the functionality, content, and development of the Web site. We'll provide you with news and updates about changes to the site, and you can voice your opinions about what you like and don't like.

Hate the green and yellow? Tell us about it. Should we add a ringtones download library? Let me know. Confused about downloading songs from CNET Download.com Music? Ask a question.

Power downloaders, if you can help users in need, please do. There's no need to wait for a Download.com staffer to answer a question if you're in the know.

After all, that's what this forum is all about: fostering better communication between all of us who contribute to CNET Download.com in any way.

Thanks for participating!

Cheers,
Peter Butler

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Welcome to the CNET Download.com site forum!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Welcome to the CNET Download.com site forum!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Advanced Windows Care Personal 2.6.0.835
by foxygrandma / January 26, 2008 10:58 AM PST

I have Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600), Dell Inc. Dimension 4700 and IE 6, SP2.

I have tried several times to download Advanced Windows Care Personal 2.6.0.835 from http://www.download.com/3150-2086_4-0.html?tag=catat.1

Each time I do I get a message box, and in the title bar it reads 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem. In the message box, among other things, it says: The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction, There is a bunch of numbers after that and then it says to choose Close to terminate the application.

I have had no problems downloading other software from your site.

Anyone know what the problem may be? Thanks much. Anna Ruth

It was not easy finding this forum. I couldn?t find an answer in the various help links.

Collapse -
I'd run System File Checker...
by John.Wilkinson / January 29, 2008 8:16 AM PST

Given the error I assume you mean the problem occurs when you attempt to install/run Advanced Windows Care Personal, not download it. If it is in fact the download process that spawns this error you may try disabling your download manager, if one is in use, or using another browser to see if the problem remains. Regardless, though, I'd do two things:

1.) Click here to download/run an application designed to repair the most common cause of the 16-bit subsystem error.
2.) Go Start->Run and type in sfc /scannow (with the space) and have your XP CD handy. It should detect and replace any corrupt Windows system files present.
3.) Run a quick virus scan with your preferred security software. There are a few trojans known to cause such issues.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
sfc /scannow
by foxygrandma / January 29, 2008 12:37 PM PST

Thank you, John, for your answer. Yesterday I did a clean Windows install. Got to install Advanced Windows Care Personal okay. I will keep your message, though, in case it happens again. Anna Ruth

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.