Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Welcome to Mitt Romney's Minstrel Show!

by Josh K / September 20, 2012 9:54 PM PDT
SERIOUSLY? Did Mitt Romney Get A Bad Spray Tan To Appeal To Latino Voters?

Mitt Romney went on Univision. He then called undocumented immigrants "illegal aliens" as though they were an invading horde determined to destroy America. And then... well, we'd like to preface this by saying we would really like to actually cover important issues, but then Mitt keeps doing interesting things like, I dunno, intentionally darkening his skin to grub for Latino votes. Free campaign advice, Mitt. DON'T DO THAT.

The site swears the picture is not photoshopped. I've seen these pics on other pages also. Apparently whoever sprayed him forgot to do his hands.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Welcome to Mitt Romney's Minstrel Show!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Welcome to Mitt Romney's Minstrel Show!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Seems they both come in several shades
by Steven Haninger / September 20, 2012 10:50 PM PDT
Collapse -
Do you think Romney doctored his face
by JP Bill / September 20, 2012 11:04 PM PDT

to look Latino/not so white?

Collapse -
They all get made up for camera lighting
by Steven Haninger / September 20, 2012 11:21 PM PDT

I see the photos on my PC screen. They may not accurately reflect what the audience saw. Actually, I think he looks rather jaundiced and not of Latino hue in that photo so he might want to consider a new makeup artist the next time.

Collapse -
Rather interesting though.....
by Josh K / September 20, 2012 11:52 PM PDT

......that of all the TV appearances he's made in this campaign and the '08 campaign, that this was the only one where his makeup made his skin look noticeably darker -- at least some of it.

Collapse -
I think it would have been stupid to try to
by Steven Haninger / September 21, 2012 12:19 AM PDT

think that deliberately making oneself look closer to the skin color of one's audience would appeal to them. If Obama, for some reason or another, was invited to speak at a KKK gathering and accepted, do you think he'd even entertain the thought of looking more white? What could be likely and Obama does it quite well is

"code switching"

He will change his verbal and body language to suit the makeup of his audience. Maybe Romney isn't as good at dialects as is Obama.

Collapse -
I think it would have been stupid too
by Josh K / September 21, 2012 12:24 AM PDT

That's one reason it's so shocking that he apparently did it. Wink

Collapse -
"apparently",,,,,REALLY, Josh
by TONI H / September 21, 2012 12:56 AM PDT

Just in case you were watching Hannity last night......Sarah Palin was on and when they went to live feed from Nevada for her, you would have sworn she was also darkened to look black or Latino. I did a double take trying to figure out what happened. Chalked it up to crappy lighting because it stayed that way for the entire time......but it was a definite contrast compared to the split screen they had with Hannity in the studio.

Collapse -
If it was crappy lighting....
by Josh K / September 21, 2012 1:01 AM PDT

.....then the skin tone would appear to change when the camera angle did. That didn't happen here.

Collapse -
RE: Chalked it up to crappy lighting
by JP Bill / September 21, 2012 1:37 AM PDT

HOW did you determine that?

2 people in 2 locations with different makeup and different lighting.

3 variables...location, lighting and makeup.

You determined it was lighting.....How?

How did you eliminate the other 2 variables?

Collapse -
It was something I didn't
by TONI H / September 21, 2012 1:41 AM PDT

think was important enough to lose sleep over....obviously Josh feels differently about Romney's 'color' and felt he was pandering to Latinos deliberately.

Collapse -
How could you lose any more sleep.....
by Josh K / September 21, 2012 1:52 AM PDT

......than you currently lose every night panicking about "BO" winning the election?

I don't know whose idea it was to bronze him for this appearance or if he even knew. Professional makeup artists wouldn't do something like that by accident though.

Collapse -
The makeup artist says it was a real tan,
by Tony Holmes / September 21, 2012 2:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
That "real tan".....
by Josh K / September 22, 2012 10:51 PM PDT

......only affected the front part of his face (no other part of his body), and apparently was not there just a few hours before he went on that program. Look at the pics in the link again.

Collapse -
You are so over the top with this
by TONI H / September 22, 2012 11:55 PM PDT

fabricated belief of yours that he deliberately 'tanned' himself up to pander for votes, that you are beginning to sound like the very people you accuse of demanding BO's past records, Josh. Are you demanding proof that he didn't do what you believe he did? Oh my..........

Collapse -
(NT) Your pettiness is getting out of hand
by TONI H / September 21, 2012 2:56 AM PDT
Collapse -
LOL, Toni
by Josh K / September 23, 2012 8:45 AM PDT

Coming from you that is beyond hysterical.

Collapse -
I guess you missed the point
by TONI H / September 24, 2012 2:30 AM PDT

With my comment. YOUR pettiness continues to be directed at me personally, Josh...

>>>Coming from you that is beyond hysterical.>>>> Show me where I have been as obnoxious towards you as you have been towards me.

Collapse -
RE: Show me where I have been as obnoxious
by JP Bill / September 24, 2012 3:34 AM PDT
Show me where I have been as obnoxious towards you as you have been towards me.

You admit to being obnoxious, BUT not AS obnoxious?
Collapse -
Stay away from those "Basement Geek" websites Josh...
by Tony Holmes / September 21, 2012 7:30 AM PDT

They're bad for your mental health. Happy How much more evidence do you need to admit that these clowns are nothing but frauds as is this whole farce about Romney's tan????

The geek site you linked to got his photos from another geek site,mediaout.com.As I alluded to in another thread,they search for anything they can spin.They are drunk on Koolaid and can't tout their candidate's record so they attack their opponent.!!

The link you posted shows two photos in question.One is obviously under different lighting because even Romney's hair looks lighter and he has a different color jacket on.The second one is blown up and pixelated! to the point where these geeks could very easily photoshop a "non tan line in" to fit their agenda! They actually have the chutzpah to call this a major find???

The link I provided shows a pict from ABC,who is in the tank for BO,notice how even his tan is.The artist who made Romney up is a 25yr employee and said the tan was genuine and Romney was a lot darker than he expected????

Hell,I'm pretty good with Photoshop,I bet I could take that "tan line"photo and put in green scales and convince these geeks that Romney is an alien lizard that wants to take over the world,would you believe that too?? Grin

Collapse -
Liberals pay lots of attention to "color"
by James Denison / September 21, 2012 8:11 AM PDT

The Liberal media has been caught time and again adding or subtracting color in photos published too.

Collapse -
One of the major news mags
by TONI H / September 21, 2012 9:13 AM PDT

Perhaps it was the Times??? When OJ was on trial had a very darkened pic of him on the cover.....and admitted that it was touched up to show him to be 'blacker' than he is for shock value. Whether he was guilty or not of those murders, they went out of their way to portray him as scary looking as possible........that 'big black man' killed those two white people mentality and fit the profile that they wanted him to fit.

Collapse -
(NT) Yep. Remember that and others.
by James Denison / September 21, 2012 9:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
It was Time magazine
by Josh K / September 24, 2012 3:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
Josh...Time link you gave
by TONI H / September 24, 2012 3:48 AM PDT

specifically said it was doctored...or didn't you read your own link this time like you accused me of doing a few times already?

>>>The cover portrait of a blurry, darkened and unshaven Mr. Simpson is actually a doctored version of a photograph made by the Los Angeles Police Department.>>>>

Collapse -
You said it was doctored for a specific purpose
by Josh K / September 24, 2012 4:03 AM PDT

The man who did the doctoring says that was not the case.

Collapse -
LOL James
by Josh K / September 24, 2012 4:03 AM PDT

"Liberals" pay a lot of attention to color.

Unlike you. Wink

Collapse -
Have you noticed Obama seems
by James Denison / September 25, 2012 3:39 AM PDT
In reply to: LOL James

....to be getting lighter? Think maybe he's been dipping the skin bleach a bit? If so, could it be to appeal to a particular voting group?

Collapse -
No
by Josh K / September 25, 2012 5:33 AM PDT

Probably just wishful thinking on your part.

Collapse -
I hope you aren't offended
by James Denison / September 25, 2012 10:01 AM PDT

by my question about Obama's skin tone.

Collapse -
(NT) Only part of Obama getting lighter is his hair, going grey.
by Ziks511 / September 27, 2012 4:41 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.