Download.com Site Feedback forum

General discussion

welcome <my user id>, you are NOT logged in

by wpher56 / March 4, 2010 8:46 PM PST

Hi! Looks like I'm not alone with this problem: after the system scan, I'm sent to a Cnet page where I have to log in. I log in, but I can't leave that page, the message says "you are NOT logged in etc. " although the upper right of the page shows "welcome, <my userid>" !
So what ? Not a great tool if it does not display the scan results !
Pierrot

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: welcome <my user id>, you are NOT logged in
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: welcome <my user id>, you are NOT logged in
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by bone / March 7, 2010 5:12 AM PST

Me too. I have two existing computers already registered. I'm trying to register a third. I follow all the instructions and get exactly the same behavior. I am running Windows XP Pro SP3. I tried reinstalling the Tech Tracker application and rebooting. No dice. Would someone please come to both our rescues?

Collapse -
by bone / March 7, 2010 6:10 AM PST

I investigated further using my other two Tech Tracker Registered computers. One of them has a corrupted operating system showing in the Tech Tracker Online Display under latest scan results: Microsoft

Collapse -
Known issue!
by CNET_TechTracker / March 8, 2010 2:49 AM PST

Hello,

Just to confirm, we are aware of this problem and working to bring a fix to the website as soon as we are able.

Please know that the fastest and most comprehensive way to reach out to our technical support team is through our ticketing system at http://cnet.custhelp.com - where we can confirm what you are seeing, gather more details when necessary, and follow up directly with you upon resolution.

Sidenote to user 'bone': Your operating system information isn't corrupted but does appear to be mis-displaying some of the special characters included in the name of the operating system - this is wholly a cosmetic issue and does not impact the way TechTracker operates. In case you have not yet done so, to complete a full un-installation you must also remove this specific computer from your TechTracker list via the Manage Computers window, the link to this window is right on your TechTracker page.

Regards,
CNET TechTracker Support

Collapse -
Known issue
by wpher56 / March 8, 2010 4:08 PM PST
In reply to: Known issue!

You tell me that the best way to get an answer is to use the ticketing system. But to use it, I have to login. So the dilemma: I AM LOGGED IN, my userid is shown on the upper right part of the screen "welcome, <my userid>", but on the ticketing page I AM REQUESTED TO LOG IN. Anyway, I retype my email address and password, but I get a Logon denied, wrong password.
So what ?

Collapse -
Known issue!
by bone / March 9, 2010 3:05 PM PST
In reply to: Known issue!

Two of my three Windows installations are now successfully working with TechTracker. With my Windows XP Pro 32, I used seven steps to fix the problem --

1. I logged into Cnet, being careful to unselect remember me next time. The I logged out of Cnet and then selected "login." As soon as I verified I wasn't automatically logged back in, I closed my browser.

2. Making sure that TechTracker was not running in the background, I went to "Start\Control Panel\Add or Remove Programs" and removed TechTracker.

3. Using the freeware, optional donationware, very fast NTFS search engine Everything by Voidtools.com, I typed the two strings "cnet" and "txt" separated by one space into the searchbox, selected every occurrence, and deleted them all. Then I did the same for "TechTracker" and "txt." This took out all cookies containing a reference to TechTracker's previous homepage.

4. After first creating a restore point, I used Registrar Lite, free for personal use by Resplendence.com to find the locations of all keys in the registry containing the string "TechTracker," double-clicked each one, and deleted it.

5. Then I searched for all value names containing "TechTracker," and deleted all of those value names that were contained inside a key called "MUICache."

6. Then I restarted the computer and used Search Everything again to find and remove any folders containing "TechTracker" except my backup installation folder.

7. Then I navigated to my backup installation folder and reinstalled TechTracker.

As soon as I agreed to let TechTracker run, I noted its behavior was different from before. First my browser fired up, went to the TechTracker home page, and said, "Welcome to TechTracker." Following was a helpful commentary that said first I needed to scan my computer using TechTracker and told me exactly how to do it.

Next, it explained to me that after the first scan completed, I would be taken to a webpage that would allow me to either register or login to TechTracker, and that after doing so, my computer name would be registered with TechTracker and the list of available updates would appear.

After running the scan and logging into TechTracker, I was immediately taken to the TechTracker update web page, but at first the same page said at the top that I was not logged into Cnet. But about five seconds later, the web page refreshed and I was greeted with "Welcome <username> to Cnet."

I repeated the seven step procedure with my Windows Vista Ultimate 64, and again the problem was fixed. So two of the three operating systems are once again registered and working with TechTracker.

I did find one specific entry in the registry that referred to TechTrackers old home URL and believe that stopping TechTracker from running and changing that old home URL to http://cnet.com/techtracker might be enough to fix TechTracker without having to take any other action.

I will try out my guess on my Windows 7 64 operating system, which so far has had no changes to its TechTracker installation, and thus is a perfect testbed for experimentation.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.