Dell forum

General discussion

Welcome Dell Desktop users

by DELL-ChrisM Dell staff / March 16, 2009 4:19 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Welcome Dell Desktop users
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Welcome Dell Desktop users
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Welcome Dell Desktop users
by Big Steve / March 17, 2009 12:24 PM PDT

Well this is good, a place on CNET to discuss Dell computer products. I've been a member of Desktop Review.com for about a year but I'll have to say there's not much action on that board. Many haven't posted over there in weeks. I'm glad to see CNET set up a forum on their website for Dells.

Collapse -
Welcome, Chris
by PudgyOne / March 18, 2009 6:58 PM PDT

Glad you could make it. Wink

Rick

Collapse -
Hi Everybody!
by Bugbatter / March 19, 2009 2:16 AM PDT

It's great to see our Dell buddies here from the Dell Community Forums.
CNET does not handle diagnostic logs on their Spyware, Viruses & Security forums, so just send 'em on over to DCF and we'll grab them.

Collapse -
Welcome Chris, I have a problem maybe you can help.
by gcjc5 / March 20, 2009 12:49 PM PDT

Can not view websites.
by gcjc5 - 3/16/09 7:08 PM

I have a Dell XPS 400. Running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002, service pack 3. Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80 GHz,2.79 GHz, 1.00 GB Ram Physical Address Extension. Windows is fully updated. I am running AVG free edition antivirus. I am connected to the internet through a Westell versalink router model 327w, from Verizon DSL. I can connect to the internet just fine but I can't view any websites. What could be the problem? When I boot the computer up everything starts up down at the clock area just fine. MSN Messenger will connect and sign in and tell me I have mail but when I click on the link to go to the mailbox it won't pull it up. Yahoo Messenger will not sign in at all. If I go directly to Internet Explorer or Firefox it will not pull up any websites. I have File Hippo update checker installed and it starts and says I have 14 updates available and when I click on the icon to bring it up it will not go to the website that the updates are on. I have done at least 3 system restores, Disk Cleaned and Defragmented (I do that everyday) I have Ccleaner installed and have used it to clean things up as well. I have even gone to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services and found that the Wired AutoConfig was not started so I started it and the first time I did that I could view websites again but when I logged off for the night then came back the next day I couldn't view websites any longer. I tried that move again and no luck this time. I am able to get windows updates through the Help and Support link in the start menu. I am of course writing this on my other computer connected wirelessly through the same router and this and all the rest of my computers will connect and work just fine. And yes I have tried to connect this one wirelessly also and still no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated. P.S. I also have this posted in the computer help forum. One of the suggestions was to download the Opera Browser and I did and that worked although Internet Explorer and Firefox still do not. Also MSN Messenger will sign in but Yahoo messenger will not. Although I glad the Oprea Browser works, I just don't understand why nothing else will.

Collapse -
gcjc5
by DELL-ChrisM Dell staff / March 20, 2009 3:25 PM PDT

Reset the internet explorer to defaults.
* Click Start- (Settings)- Control Panel- Internet Options
* Click the Advanced tab
* Click Reset
* Click Apply and OK
* Open internet explorer

Any difference?

Collapse -
Dell Help
by bbuss55 / March 21, 2009 12:04 AM PDT
In reply to: gcjc5

It's nice to see a place where one can go and get technical help without having to call the 800 number and speak to a foreign country. Too bad this didn't take place a year ago when I became so frustrated with Dell that I swore off buying any more of their products. I currently own a Dell laptop, Dell AIO printer and a Dell desktop computer. I had so much trouble getting my desktop computer (with Windows Vista) set up and running (took over 3 months) and actually recognizing my Dell printer, this was after over 6 hours on the telephone with their tech support, that I decided to never purchase from them again. The tech support over the phone is appalling. When I couldn't understand the person because of their strong accent, having to ask them to repeat themselves, I asked to speak to a manager. The manager spoke no clearer than the original tech so I asked to speak to someone who had a better grasp on the english language and they hung up on me. This kind of tech support I can do without. I finally had my son assist me and he was able to get things running smoothly. (I hate windows Vista. Now I hear Microsoft will discontinue Vista which means I am left hanging should any future problems arise) I can get computers for a much better price than dell offers, but I bought them because they were supposed to have great tech support. That, apparently, is a thing of the past. From now on, I will get my computers locally. At least they speak english.

Collapse -
Reset Internet Explorer
by gcjc5 / March 21, 2009 12:13 PM PDT
In reply to: gcjc5

No difference.

Collapse -
I can't install downloads!
by madd_flagger / March 21, 2009 9:58 AM PDT

I have a Dell optiplex GX620 runing Windows XP with service pack 3 and everytime I try to download Open Office or any other application, it demands an instalation CD. Why can't I install these apps?

Collapse -
Vostro 200 wakeup problem
by ice_dog_fan / March 26, 2009 11:34 PM PDT

Dell Vostro 200 running XP Pro 2002 SP3 and IE7 on a 10 mbps cable modem, obtaining IP address and DNS servers automatically.

After power on, I can?t connect to any Web sites.
Pinging any URL by name fails.
Pinging any valid IP address succeeds.
?Ping -t? to a valid IP address will let me connect to Web sites.
For the rest of the day, first try to a new Web site times out.
Page refresh USUALLY brings up the site.
I?ve tried IE reset.
ISP has tried modem ?re-provision?.

Collapse -
compatible hardware upgrades
by smc57 / March 29, 2009 3:17 AM PDT

i'm upgrating my Dell Dimension 8200 to 1gb rdram memory. i want to see what I need look for when upgrading video and sound cards. I' like to get the best I can for the money. I'm looking on Ebay.

Collapse -
by DELL-ChrisM Dell staff / March 31, 2009 6:01 AM PDT

I wouldn't worry about the sound card. What video card is currently installed?

Collapse -
XPS 400 SATA drives not always recognized.
by benm_130 / April 16, 2009 6:07 AM PDT

Dell XPS 400 P4 HT 3GBR 1TB Seagate Baracuda (primary drive - recent upgrade) 80 GB Maxtor (original drive) both HD run on SATA.

I've never had any trouble out of my computer until recently. The computer itself is almost 4 years old - not sure if that has anything to do with the prob. For Christmas I got a 1TB Seagate Baracuda HD to replace my aging 80 GB Maxtor (factory HD). I installed windows on the Seagate and things were going great. Last month, the computer shut down unexpectedly and when I tried to restart I got a message that no disks were found. I went into my BIOS and turned on all four SATA channels just to make sure the drive was turned on. That didn't work so I unplugged the SATA cables from the drives, switched them and it started right up. It's happened several times since then and now it's happening every time I restart the machine. It will fail to recognize the HDs - both in the BIOS and in the startup. Usually when i unplug them and switch them it will fix itself again. USUALLY. Sometimes that doesn't even work. It's very strange - there doesn't seem to be a pattern to it. I just have to keep trying and restarting until it works.

ANY IDEAS?? I'm stumped...

Collapse -
SATA drive not recognized
by DELL-ChrisM Dell staff / April 18, 2009 4:45 AM PDT

Disconnect your HDD and test ours. If it also fails to be shown in the SATA bios, the issue is with either the SATA cables or the ports.

Collapse -
Added RAM - Computer is dead
by ddement / April 17, 2009 1:09 PM PDT

Hi - I have an emergency. Vista Home Premium on a Dell Inspiron 531 with 2GB RAM, 300 GB HD, two USB drives, etc. I added two 1GB RAM cards from Crucial a few hours ago, and the computer won't start. It powers up with fans running, USB ports are powered, but nothing on the monitor and no power to the keyboard. The Crucial invoice states that these cards are an update for a 531, and they fit. I grounded myself, pressed them in carefully to the two empty slots and clipped the end holders in. No wires were bumped, no accidents.

What to do? I could foresee having to get another computer and mounting this drive in it, but this is my right arm in my business and I can't stop work for this. Could there be a blown fuse on a board somewhere? Maybe the power supply is not producing one of the necessary voltages? Guessing. Please contact me asap. Thanks.

Collapse -
Further to the "Added RAM..." post
by ddement / April 17, 2009 1:54 PM PDT

I've got a normal start now after unplugging the computer and plugging in again. But what could have caused the added RAM to make it not boot up? Should I install it again and unplug it first? This was very scary to have happen and I want to be cautious. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
added ram
by DELL-ChrisM Dell staff / April 18, 2009 4:42 AM PDT

I would power off. Remove the old ram and only try the new ram in slots 1 an 2. Power on. if it boots ok, add our memory into 3 an 4. Power on.

Collapse -
overclocking the dell
by wakeboarderking9 / April 19, 2009 6:32 AM PDT

Hey, glad to see a forum devoted to Dells.

My question is: How do you overclock these computers? I have a Dell Studio Desktop with a q8200.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!