Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Weird text in java apps?

by shoopdawhoop100 / July 9, 2013 8:19 AM PDT

My java apps all have this weird, unreadable text that doesn't even look like a language. I tried checking the language of my computer, all the fixes, but still no result. Help please.

P.S.
If there is a way to get screenshots in posts, I could show you.

shoopdawhoop100 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Weird text in java apps?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Weird text in java apps?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
These are "your Java apps."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2013 8:47 AM PDT

As in you wrote them?

Did you try a simple hello world as a test?
Bob

Collapse -
No.
by shoopdawhoop100 / July 10, 2013 12:31 AM PDT

These apps are ones I downloaded. Like a cribbage game or a Magic: The Gathering simulator. Thay are not mine

Collapse -
Then my bet is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2013 12:34 AM PDT
In reply to: No.

That they may have a font or language issue. As in they are using a font that isn't on your system. The app's author would know if that's it.

Sorry but when folk write "My java apps" and since I do write apps my thought is to take their word on that.
Bob

Collapse -
But it is all of them.
by shoopdawhoop100 / July 10, 2013 1:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Then my bet is

ALL java apps do this for me. I even went to the java website to the ``Test to see if your`java is working page`` and the box that has text in it has text like that! Again, if there is a way to attach pictures I could show you.

Collapse -
I believe you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2013 1:04 AM PDT
In reply to: But it is all of them.

But you can see how I took your word about it being your apps so my thought is as a developer you would try the usual.

-> Since we don't know about the PC with the issue as to OS and all details I won't hazard any guess today.

My thought is that it's something not stock but as it's your PC you would know what's different from a clean install.
Bob

Collapse -
I'm afraid I can't do that.
by shoopdawhoop100 / July 10, 2013 1:20 AM PDT
In reply to: I believe you.

I have far too much important information on my computer to do a clean install.

Collapse -
I didn't suggest a clean install.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2013 1:43 AM PDT

I had hopes to read about it's Windows 98se with the Banshee desktop theme or such. All we have is a symptom but no word on the host.
Bob

Collapse -
Oh. OK.
by shoopdawhoop100 / July 10, 2013 2:17 AM PDT

Here's the specs:
Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1
4 GB of RAM
Desktop theme is custom, with a picture I took as background.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by shoopdawhoop100

Collapse -
The clue may be the theming.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2013 3:04 AM PDT

"Desktop theme is custom"

Background pictures rarely create any issue and remember I take your word that nothing else is amiss or changed from the stock install and that Java is current such as Version 7 Update 25 (which changes daily it seems.)
http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

I'm also making big assumptions about fonts and such are stock. But those themes can mess up apps such as Java.

One quick thing to try is another user account.
Bob

Collapse -
I wish I could tell you this worked.
by shoopdawhoop100 / July 10, 2013 8:02 AM PDT

I really do. I went on another account and the same happened, it seems.
So, now what? I've expended every option possible and it is still doing it.
So, I reiterate, now what?

Collapse -
Need more clues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2013 8:43 AM PDT

I can post pictures on photobucket.com, my public dropbox and well many places.

But we are this many posts and there's just so little detail or clues to work with.

-> Let me tip my hand here. At the office I was the one that traveled overseas to create the install document for a Java GPS tracker system. So I'm comfortable with installing Java and may have a good chance of finding it but at this many posts I only have one clue and that's theming which we know can screw up some apps.

As presented it only tells me that something is off. It does not point to anything specific.

Telling the forum what's different from a stock Windows 7 install helps. But all I see is theming and again, that's not a good thing.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.