Computer Help forum

General discussion

weird stuff in email

by jco / March 13, 2007 8:59 AM PDT

Hello to everyone. I?m wondering if anyone knows what could cause a sudden influx of undeliverable email that I never tried to deliver in the first place.

Specs are: Dell Dimension 8200, XP SP2 plus all updates since; 512 MB RAM; Pentium 4 Processor, 2 GHz. I use AVG Pro, Spybot, CCleaner, Firefox and Thunderbird.

Today, my Thunderbird inbox had a slew of undeliverable mail, but I hadn?t sent any of it out. All showed my email address as the return, but I hadn?t even heard of any of the people or addresses I supposedly sent to. I?ve put in a few of the weird things I found, but I copied them into WordPad first, and checked with AVG, so I wouldn?t pass on any viruses if there are any. Thanks for your help.

mailto:c3013005@guedu.cc.gifu-u.ac.jp

X.400~Mail~Gateway

mailto:euyoung_nelsonq@boonton.com postmaster@wtt.bz

mailto:0JEU00KFPE1774@mail.airbridge.net

mailto:nextel-mjpanza@imap17.bwc.na.blackberry.net

mailto:neilvass@o2.co.uk

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: weird stuff in email
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: weird stuff in email
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's a spammers way
by PudgyOne / March 13, 2007 9:30 AM PDT
In reply to: weird stuff in email

to see if you have an active email account. As soon as you opened the email, the spammer got a message saying that you have an active email account.

Look out SPAM!

NEVER open an email from anyone you don't know.

Rick

Collapse -
Thanks
by jco / March 13, 2007 9:52 AM PDT
In reply to: It's a spammers way

Thank-you, PudgyOne. I've had virtually no problem with spam -- until now. And I had no idea spam came in this form. Gulp. I'm going to hope this isn't the start of something big. If I get more (I'm sure I will), I'll just delete them. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Another possibility
by jackson dougless / March 13, 2007 10:15 AM PDT
In reply to: weird stuff in email

Or two really...

While considerably less likely if using Firefox and Thunderbird, you might have been hit with some malware, and someone set up a mail relay on your system.

Another possibility is that you are running your own mail server and didn't secure it properly.

Since you're using Thunderbird, some suggestions to help make it even safer. I haven't used it in awhile, so there may be even more than this now... Make sure that you set all email messages to be displayed in either limited HTML or plain text. Not an easy feature to find as I recall, but a good one to set. You should also disable scripting in email messages, along with plugins. Finally, be sure to set it to never load remote images. That should further help cut down on your spam levels over time.

Collapse -
Another thank-you
by jco / March 13, 2007 10:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Another possibility

Thank-you, Jackson. Since I hadn't had trouble with spam, I know virtually nothing about how to protect myself from it. I'm printing out your response, and checking my settings, post haste!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?