Computer Help forum

General discussion

Weird Problem

by mopscare42 / April 14, 2008 3:21 AM PDT

A friend ask from to look at her computer because she screwed it up and it wouldn't start in Windows XP any longer.
This is what she told me she did. For some reason, which she never did explain, she tried to do a system recovery on her Compaq model SR1000V computer.
After doing what ever she did, when you power up the computer, it starts to load windows but then stops and asks you to inter the Micrsoft key code.
I looked at the Windows XP sticker on the computer, enter that and it just keeps saying it's an invalid number.
She did say that when doing the recovery the computer said there was no C partition and asked her to enter the letter "L" to choose another partition, which she did?.
Now you can't even boot from the DVD/CD drive to run the recovery disc even though it should.
So I really have no idea of what I need to do next to get the computer up and running.
She uses a computer a lot, but can't afford a new one right now.
Any advise would be very much appreciated.
Wayne

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Weird Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Weird Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why Can't You Boot From The DVD/CD Drive?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 14, 2008 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Weird Problem

Are there errors? If so, please give us exact error messages.

Can you access the BIOS and make sure that the DVD/CD drive is set to boot first? It's possible the drive was set to boot first and will need to be changed in the BIOS.

It may be the DVD/CD drive has gone bad.. Tried swapping in a known good drive?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks Grif.
by mopscare42 / April 14, 2008 7:20 AM PDT

Sorry it took me awhile to get back ,but I took an old XP computer I wasn't using and took it to her to use until I can get her's fixed or at least try too.
I brought her computer home and will attempt to fix it here.
I was able to get into bios and get the CD drive to boot.
I booted from the recovery CD that came with that computer and it goes through it's routine just like it is doing a recovery, but instead of finishing the recovery it drops right back into the screen that asks for the XP key code.
I have tried that with every option and it still does the same thing.
Her husband brought a copy of XP home that they had at his work that he said had never been used before,so I put the disc in, booted and as soon as it starts it says "An error has been incountered that prevents setup from continuing"
"One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed"
Fatal Error
"Installation failed:H\i386\asms. error messege"
When I go into the safe mode I get an error "Windows XP setup cannot run under safe mode"
So I have no idea of what to do next.
Thanks
Wayne

Collapse -
Wayne, try this
by PudgyOne / April 14, 2008 7:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Grif.

When the computer boots up, press F11. If the recovery partition is still there, it will allow you to recover the system from it. Bad news is, all files and folders are lost. They may be already, since she tried to insert a system disk. You must also install the exact version that was in the computer. XP home gets XP home, XP Media Center gets XP Media Center, etc.

If you get in using F11, You can try the regular recovery. It that fails, then choose advanced and choose destructive recovery.

Rick

Collapse -
Since Two Discs Failed...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 14, 2008 7:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Grif.

Yes, you can't run XP's setup from either "normal" or Safe Mode Windows.. It must be run from the command prompt to correctly perform a format and reinstall of the operating system.

I'll guess that the DVD/CD drive is starting to fail and isn't reading the discs correctly.. The "Installation failed: H\i386\asms" error usually means the disc is bad but since it's new, it may, or may not be the case. Are you sure the XP CD is a new legal version which contains a legal key code?

It could also be a defective hard drive but usually that shows up during the formatting process.

Hoppe this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thank you both.
by mopscare42 / April 14, 2008 9:04 AM PDT

The husband said the XP disc had never been used, but who knows. It looked clean whith no scratches.
Some one could have already registered it.
I don't think the DVD/CD drive is bad because it looks like it is reading the CD OK.
I got into the recovery console, but hit a dead end there.
It asks if I want to recover the C drive to enter 1. that is the only choice, so I do. It then says Type in the administrator password. I have tried the normal stuff like admin, password and a couple others but it says invalid on each of them.
So that is where I am at now.
If nothing can be done with it the way it is, would the best thing be to format the hard drive and get a new Windows XP home program and install it from scratch?
I changed the boot up to show diagnostics and that doesn't show any problems, so it appears to be a software problem.
Thanks
Wayne

Collapse -
I Thought You WERE Formatting The C Drive??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 14, 2008 9:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you both.

If you are able to boot from the Recovery Discs or the full XP CD, then one of the first things it will ask you is to create a partition and format it.. Apparently you haven't done that yet?

If you can't use the XP disc you have, then new ones aren't going to work.. Likewise with the Recovery Discs.. Normally, placing Recovery Disc 1 in the drive, then restarting the system should give you an option to perform a complete/destructive recovery.. If you can't do that with your recovery discs, (you said you had already tried that), then that won't work either..

As to the "administrator" password, try leaving it blank.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks so much Grif and pudgyOne
by mopscare42 / April 14, 2008 10:29 AM PDT

Leaving the administrator password blank worked and I was able to do a recovery and things are working again.
After looking at the disc 1 of the set, it is pretty hashed so that was the problem there.
Again thank you both for hanging in there, you helped save that lady money that couldn't afford right now.
Wayne

Collapse -
Hp owns Compaq
by PudgyOne / April 14, 2008 10:47 AM PDT

The paperwork says

To burn your own set of recovery disks, select Start > All Programs > System Recovery > PC Recovery Disk Creator

That's all there is to it.

Rick

This also works to make recovery disks for Compaq.

Collapse -
Thanks
by mopscare42 / April 14, 2008 11:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Hp owns Compaq

I will make a set before I take the computer back to her.
Wayne

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.