Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Weird Office XP Page Numbering Problem

by hairymon / October 5, 2006 6:03 AM PDT

I have a very weird problem regarding using page numbering on Office XP Word docs.

On one computer, the document correctly says "Page 1 of 9"

On another, it will only show the codes, like "Page {PAGE} of {NUMPAGES}" no matter what I do.

Both computers have SP3 so service packs are not the issue.

Please advise, thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Weird Office XP Page Numbering Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Weird Office XP Page Numbering Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Printer Setting
by entrecon / October 5, 2006 6:23 AM PDT

I just tested this here with Word 2003.

Look at: File>Print>Options>Field Codes

On the one printing the codes it probably has a check mark there.

Collapse -
Didn't work, any other ideas?
by hairymon / October 6, 2006 5:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Printer Setting

First off, I learned that on the computer that showed it correctly (not as codes) in Print Preview, it still printed it as codes, not numbers.

Another hint I found out is that if I go to a computer that still has Office 2000/Word 2000 on it, it prints correctly. But then I did a NEW document on Office XP/Word 2002 with the page codes and still had the same problem, so it's not because it was a former 2000 document or anything.

Both computers had "Field Codes" checked and unchecking didn't help.

Any other ideas are welcome, thanks.

Collapse -
Normal.dot?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 7, 2006 6:30 AM PDT

I would try deleting Normal.dot from each computer.

This is the template where Office saves various global settings, but it can get corrupted.

If you do a search on each computer and delete all instances of Normal.dot, then the next time you open Office XP it will create a new one.

See if that solves the problem.

Mark

Collapse -
Nice try but didn't work
by hairymon / October 10, 2006 6:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Normal.dot?

Any other ideas? This is driving us crazy and we can't believe we're the only ones with this issue out there.....

Collapse -
Seems you need to take advantage of all those purchases.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2006 7:16 AM PDT

From what I gather you've dumped 10s of thousands on Microsoft products. Isn't it time you made a call to Microsoft?

Bob

Collapse -
Looks like I finally got it, its a combination of things her
by hairymon / October 11, 2006 1:57 AM PDT

I got it fixed, here's what I had to do, I don't know why Microsoft doesn't have a knowledge base for this, it was a combination of the suggestions here, thanks everyone:

1) Replace Normal.dot

2) Go into Page Setup, and uncheck "Field Codes"

3) However, the Print Preview still showed the field codes. Now I do ALT+F9 and it's permanently fixed!

It seems you have to do all three of these in order for it to work, doing one of the 3 didn't fix it.

Collapse -
Three barreled shotgun.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2006 2:17 AM PDT

Fire!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Try pressing Alt+F9 (toggles field code display)
by ChuckT / October 10, 2006 3:33 PM PDT
Collapse -
Well, we're getting closer.....
by hairymon / October 11, 2006 1:41 AM PDT

Doing that does correct it on the "Print Preview", but it's still coming out with codes on the printer. This is true regardless of workstation or printer.

Any new ideas?

Collapse -
To shut off the printing of field codes
by ChuckT / October 11, 2006 5:08 AM PDT

There is a setting in:
Tools>Options, Print, Include with document, and uncheck ''Field codes''

Collapse -
and if that doesn't work
by ChuckT / October 11, 2006 5:10 AM PDT

then run Help>Detect and Repair

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!