Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

weird mouse pointer "issue"

Hello... I'm on a new installation of Windows (on a new hard drive), and I was messing around with the nVidia control program a bit ago... I'm not sure if this is what has caused this somewhat amusing "glitch," but at some point in time while using my PC (long after I'd finished playing with nVidia), I noticed that there is a stationary mouse pointer on the right side of my screen, midway between the top & bottom. I tried refreshing my desktop and doing some other stuff, but it's still there. Now, restarting the PC will probably get rid of it, but what is weird is, it's on top of everything! I move my mouse next to it, and the pointer goes under the stationary pointer. I even tried to take a screen capture to show that I have two mouse pointers, but it only showed my working pointer (I used irfanview so it would show it).

Odd, huh? Not even a screen capture would reveal this mouse pointer. Maybe it's a ghost? Wink
Maybe if I try to take a picture with my mom's digi cam, it'll STILL not show up... :rolleyes:

Okay... but I figured I'd pass along this interesting little bug. Before I restart my PC, what comments have ye?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: weird mouse pointer "issue"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: weird mouse pointer "issue"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) High Tech Mouse?

In reply to: weird mouse pointer "issue"

What kind of mouse are you using?? If using a wireless or any other sort of Logitech type mouse you kinda got what you had coming!

Stick with a high quaulity roller mouse like a Dell, I only have to clean mine every 6 myhs. or so & it takeas all of 5 minutes!

In some situations - Old School Rules!!

And High Tech Sucks!!

John

Collapse -
Microsoft bluetooth wireless optical

In reply to: (NT) High Tech Mouse?

The mouse I used before was a corded Logitech optical mouse, and I never had any problems with it. The reason I use this mouse is because my cousin gave it to me, and I think it's cool. Optical is far superior to ball mice. Even when they're clean, the balls catch something and get stuck. You say high quality such as Dell? Are you out of your flippin' mind? Dell is crazy, that's what it is.

Anyway, back to the subject, it's odd; when I woke up today and pressed a key to wake the PC, the stationary pointer was gone. Oh, well... I guess the ghost was bored just hanging around, eh?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.