Computer Help forum

General discussion

Weird Monitor Problem

by DB210 / November 25, 2008 2:22 PM PST

Ok, I bought a 15-Pin standard VGA cable to plug my laptop into my TV. Everything worked fine, but later problems started.

When I went to boot up my computer it just automatically started up with the TV as the default monitor. This would be fine, except for when this happens, my Laptop no longer detects the built in Laptop monitor.

This stayed like this for a month, then it randomly booted up with my laptop monitor as the default, and ran perfectly.

Now, all of a sudden, it no longer detects my laptop monitor again, and i can only use my laptop when hooked up to an external monitor.

*** is going on?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Weird Monitor Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Weird Monitor Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How Are Your Graphics Card Settings For The Monitors
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 25, 2008 11:31 PM PST
In reply to: Weird Monitor Problem

Have you got them set to "Clone" the image so both displays are the same? Which monitor is set as the "Primary" display? (Make sure it's the laptop.)

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
Well..
by DB210 / November 26, 2008 1:00 AM PST

Well the problem is my laptop monitor isn't being detecting by my laptop at all. I cant choose to change the displays or settings because as far as my computer is concerned, my built in monitor doesn't exist. The laptop monitor doesn't turn on or show any sign of activity.

There is still 2 monitors being detected under the personalize option (Right Click - Personalize - Display Settings), but they are both the external monitor. When I choose to switch over to the second option, the screen just flashes and the external monitor again is the only thing that displays any image.

Collapse -
??
by ROBTRINX / November 26, 2008 3:09 AM PST
In reply to: Well..

have u tried going into f2 when booting up and messing with the settings? i believe there should be a setting that lets u run both?

Collapse -
Nope
by DB210 / November 26, 2008 4:13 AM PST
In reply to: ??

It still doesn't detect the monitor even in there.

Collapse -
Please Try Installing An Updated Graphics Driver
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 26, 2008 7:34 AM PST
In reply to: Well..

Since you mentioned the "Personalize" option, it sounds like you've got Vista running there.. (Unfortunately, you've still not given us any information about the computer such as make and model and operating system..

That said, there are frequent updates for Vista's drivers.. Visit the video card manufacturer's website and download, then install the most recent driver update for your card.. It might fix all of your issues.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
:( Nope again
by DB210 / November 26, 2008 10:51 AM PST

Ive tried 3 different drivers, and tried restoring the default ones; No results.

As for my laptop;

ASUS F3SV-X1 NoteBook
Intel Core 2 Duo T7300(2.00GHz)
15.4" Wide XGA
1GB Memory DDR2 667
Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220163

Added;

Transcend 2GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)
Western Digital Scorpio WD1600BEVS 160GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 1.5Gb/s Notebook Hard Drive (Replaced old one)

Collapse -
bump
by DB210 / November 29, 2008 5:00 AM PST
In reply to: :( Nope again

bump

Collapse -
Then My Next Step Would Be,,
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 30, 2008 9:55 AM PST
In reply to: bump

...Take the laptop to the repair shop.. Sorry I haven't responded sooner.. Visiting family during Thanksgiving holidays.

Basically, if nothing is making the laptop display come back, then you've got a problem with the display.. We just fixed one like that here.. An external monitor allowed us to use programs but the main laptop display died.. Replacement or repair of the screen, or it's connecting cables was the only fix.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Its working now
by DB210 / December 1, 2008 8:22 AM PST

Now its working fine. I can't explain it, and dont know what happened... but the monitor is suddenly working perfectly. I made no changes or anything, it just suddenly started working again.

Collapse -
Then It Can Also Revert to 'Bad' Again Also...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 1, 2008 8:33 AM PST
In reply to: Its working now

Now is a good time to start looking for a replacement. Your current monitor may last an hour, a day or two, or maybe longer, but it will probably do the same thing again.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.