PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Weird memory problems

by Slashed1975 / November 3, 2009 5:56 PM PST

Hi all

This is very technical - for me anyway.

I have a brand new PC but I keep getting the same RAM error - it decides as to whether I am going to get the full 8GB I should have or just 4GB which is 50%. Which is decides is totally random. I should say that I get 8GB after I haven't used it for a while but if I reboot or turn it on say 10 mins after turning it off - I get 4GB RAM.

What is weird is Windows 7 (and Vista HP before I got the upgrade) show 8GB in the system but when I get 4GB it states 8GB RAM but 3.99RAM usuable. Resource Mgr states that the BIOS is reserving the other 4GB for drivers and other peripherals.

I have tried changing the RAM and the same problem exists.

I have run Memtest and it goes thru ok - providing the full 8 GB shows. However, I get an error when I do the memory sizing option and BIOS all.

This is the error -

Error Confidence Value 36
Lowest Error Address 000bf800000 - 3064MB
Highest Error Address 000fee000004078 MB
Bits in Error Mask ffffffff
Bits in Error Total 32
Max Contiguous Error 1
ECC Correctable Error <NOTHING WRITTEN HERE>
Errors per Dimm:

0:0
1:42
2:0
3:

The thing is I get the same error even when changing all 4 RAM chips.

I am at a loss at what is causing this.

This is my PC spec:

i5 750 chip
Asus P7P55D Evo Motherboard
ATI Radeon 4890 1 GB RAM
500 GB Hard drive
Everything else pretty much standard

Most progs are standard - Office 2007, Kaspersky Internet Suite, Malware Bytes, World of Warcraft and Poker Stars are the only games.

Any suggestions?

Slashed 1975

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Weird memory problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Weird memory problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's good news.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2009 8:41 PM PST
In reply to: Weird memory problems

Since it's new, it's not your problem. Call the makers and exercise your warranty.

But about that other thing -> "What is weird is Windows 7 (and Vista HP before I got the upgrade) show 8GB in the system but when I get 4GB it states 8GB RAM but 3.99RAM usuable. Resource Mgr states that the BIOS is reserving the other 4GB for drivers and other peripherals."

That's the old 32 bit os limitation. All the free Windows 7 upgrades appear to be 32 bit.

NOTHING BROKEN! Research the many discussions about this since there is no reason to repeat that discussion here. Here's a starter research for you -> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=4GB+RAM
Bob

Collapse -
I have Windows 7 64-bit
by Slashed1975 / November 3, 2009 9:48 PM PST
In reply to: That's good news.

Hi Bob

I have Windows 7 64-bit - it says so in system and I bought Vista HP 64-bit which came with the free upgrade to windows 7. I knew 32-bit OS can't have more than 4GB RAM.

It can't be a windows issue as the memory either states 4088MB or 8182MB at start up from BIOS script - windows hasn't even started yet!

Darren

Collapse -
Then it's a warranty issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2009 10:07 PM PST

Let them fix it.

Collapse -
All Sorted Now!
by Slashed1975 / November 4, 2009 1:24 AM PST

Hi guys

The issues was not windows but the ram itself.

I have read on another site that DDR3 ram sometimes isn't far enough into the motherboard. There is an audible click on both sides of the slots even though with DDR3 ram there is only 1 single clip (they say to prevent someone putting in DDR2 ram by mistake).

Bascially, when they built the pc they didn't put the ram in as far as it can go and that created the fault.

But it's all sorted now - I hope!

Thanks for all your help.

Darren

Collapse -
RAM
by a_traverso / December 1, 2009 1:54 AM PST
In reply to: Weird memory problems

Is your Windows 7 a 32 bits? 32 bits OS are confined to 3.25 Gb ...upgrade to Windows 7 64 bits to take advantage of 8 Gb of RAM

Collapse -
You got that much?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2009 2:16 AM PST
In reply to: RAM

A fresh install on a thinkpad with 4GB yeilded 2.25GB!

Count your install lucky!
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.