Computer Help forum

Question

Weird little startup issue...

by Cloverfield_33 / May 22, 2014 12:38 AM PDT

So I had major problems with my laptop where it wouldn't startup properly and even going to eRecovery and installing to factory settings wouldn't work. Anyway, I ordered a Windows 7 System Install disk and reinstalled Windows 7 properly on my laptop.

All is working good now except when I turn on (or restart) the splash screen will come up, then 'windows starting' will come up with the little graphic and then it will go all black but I can still hear the tune in the background to say its all loaded ok. Pressing the off button so it turns the laptop off and then pressing it again brings the laptop to the page I was at (only this time not black lol). I've tried pressing ctrl alt del when it's black as well as other keys but it all just works in the background. For example, when the black screen comes up I can type my password and press enter and can hear that its accepted it and gone to my Desktop. Any ideas? I'm using an Acer Aspire 8943G running Win7.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Weird little startup issue...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Weird little startup issue...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Tried function keys?
by James Denison / May 22, 2014 12:49 AM PDT

Control, Alt and function keys might toggle a screen setting controlled by the BIOS.

Collapse -
Answer
Pause yourself
by Willy / May 22, 2014 12:51 AM PDT

You had a major and you will create another if you continue to power ON/OFF during these critial times of booting. It doesn't matter if it works afterwards, it's bound to fail big time later. So, i suggest you refrain from doing this or do until you learn the lesson.

Next, it seems you recovered from a previous problem. If in fact that has been resolved then allow the PC to boot until it cleanly if finished w/o any interruption on your part. This alone may clear a path to faster boot on the next time. Since, you also did a reload of the OS, then you need to connect to MS update service and also any other s/w products that now need to update to maintain the new status of being non-updated. This is one reason it maybe slow or hard to boot as quickly as it once did. Just do this as you main task until all is updated and/or no displays to do so. Come back with results if this seems to fix you issues.

tada ----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Not working still
by Cloverfield_33 / May 22, 2014 12:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Pause yourself

Thanks for your reply Willy but I'm not sure that is my problem. I have already let it install over 150 'important updates' and I also installed all the drivers it needed thanks to a disk which came with the reinstall disk. Everything is working perfectly except this one bit. No matter how long I leave it on the black screen nothing will change because as far as the laptop is concerned I am on my password page and just waiting to enter my password. It doesn't realise that i can't see anything on screen. It's really weird.

Collapse -
when you can access a view
by James Denison / May 22, 2014 1:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Not working still

have you checked your display settings to see if you have just the one screen set, instead of two? It might be toggling between them for some reason, and if one is LVDS and the other VGA output, maybe that's causing the problem? If so, might need an updated driver file installed.

Collapse -
Nope
by Cloverfield_33 / May 22, 2014 1:15 AM PDT

Nope, I just plugged it into my tv via vga and it's still black after it's said windows starting but again heard the start up tune. *** is going on!

Collapse -
Your only steps available at this point
by James Denison / May 22, 2014 1:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope

1) reset the BIOS to safe default settings. Short it if possible.

2) Run install on the newest video drivers for the laptop, then immediately remove the current ones using Device Manager, it may freeze up at that point, so if it does, just turn off and restart.

3) Boot to a Linux Live DVD or USB and see if the same thing happens. If so....

4) hardware issue, needs repairshop.

Collapse -
by Cloverfield_33 / May 22, 2014 1:52 AM PDT

Unfortunately a lot of that was jargon to me. How do I reset bios to safe default?

Collapse -
Resetting BIOS
by wpgwpg / May 22, 2014 2:14 AM PDT
In reply to: ..

When you first power up, you usually get a line across the bottom of the screen saying to hit some key (usually F1, F2, DEL or such) to enter Setup. Setup is the interface to the BIOS. There you should see something that says to hit some key to restore to defaults and exit. I'm not sure what that's going to do for you, but if someone has done overclocking or fooled with other hardware related settings, it might make a difference. Overclocking could certainly cause the infamous "unpredictable results".
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
the tech manual
by James Denison / May 22, 2014 2:24 AM PDT
In reply to: ..
http://www.manualslib.com/download/9990/Acer-8943g.html

Start at page 41, chapter 2

Navigating the BIOS Utility
There are five menu options: Information, Main, Security, Boot, and Exit.
Follow these instructions:
• To choose a menu, use the left and right arrow keys.
• To choose an item, use the up and down arrow keys.
• To change the value of a parameter, press F5 or F6.
• A plus sign (+) indicates the item has sub-items. Press Enter to expand this item.
• Press Esc while you are in any of the menu options to go to the Exit menu.
In any menu, you can load default settings by pressing F9. You can also press F10 to save any changes made and exit the BIOS Setup Utility.

How to short the BIOS is on page 191
Collapse -
Reading The Fine Manual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 22, 2014 2:35 AM PDT
In reply to: the tech manual

Thanks!

Collapse -
Answer
Two comments
by wpgwpg / May 22, 2014 1:17 AM PDT

First it's normal for the screen to go black for a minute or two sometimes after installing updates. What I do is look at the hard disk indicator light. If that's blinking (indicating that the computer is hard at work), I know to leave it alone until it finishes. Doing otherwise will just corrupt system files causing permanent damage to Windows software files. If there's no disk activity, and the screen stays black for more than say two minutes, then something's wrong as Willy has suggested. If you power a computer off while it's updating system files, that's a formula for problems.

The other thing I'd mention is drivers and helper apps. When you reinstall Windows, you need to be sure you've got the right drivers and helper apps from Acer. If you didn't do that, it might be at least part of your problem. The fact that you say restoring to factory conditions didn't work sounds like you might have a hardware problem. Could you provide more info about why that didn't work?

Collapse -
Question
by Cloverfield_33 / May 22, 2014 1:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Two comments

I don't know what the hard disk light is but as I said all is working fine until the password page. The updates finished yesterday so no excuse for the laptop there and all correct drivers have been installed.

Restoring the laptop initially didn't fix the laptop as it still got stuck on a startup loop where it barely got past the splash screen but the reinstall meant I could completely reinstall it from a disk which worked all apart from this issue.

Collapse -
150 updates isn't all there is
by wpgwpg / May 22, 2014 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Question

My Windows 7 system has 324 updates installed, so I doubt if your 150 updates is the complete set. Also after you download and it installs updates, the process isn't complete until you restart. Then it will go through another set of operations before shutting down and still another when it starts back up.

The disk activity light should be on the front or top of your laptop. On my Toshiba L755 it's on the front; I've seen other laptops where it's above the keyboard. You should familiarize yourself with all the indicator lights on yours - the manufacturers go to the trouble and expense of putting them there for good reason.

Collapse -
Answer
In any menu, you can load default settings by pressing F9.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 22, 2014 2:05 AM PDT

"In any menu, you can load default settings by pressing F9. You can also press F10to save any
changes made and exit the BIOS Setup Utility."
From the 8943G Service manual.

Collapse -
Reinstalled

Guys I want to thank you ALL for your time and help but I decided just to reinstall Windows 7 again but this time download the drivers from Acers website. All ok so far and now just installing the 158 important updates for Windows. Cheers again.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!