PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Weird lines on screen after installing new graphics card!

I have a Sony Vaio PCV-RS620G, running Windows XP and with 1.5 gigs of ram. I wanted to update the stock graphics card (ATI Radeon 9200), so I bought an ATI Radeon X1600 Pro.

Before installing it, I uninstalled the old graphics card driver and related software. I didn't change any BIOS settings (at that time, I didn't even think about it), but I did make sure that I had the most updated driver for my motherboard-to-AGP device (I think that's what it's called...). I shut down, took out the old driver and put the new one in (I think it's properly seated), and turned the computer back on. However, all that my monitor displays as the computer is booting up is a screen full of long, vertical, colorful lines. I can hear the computer doing its normal booting-up stuff and there are no weird beeps or sounds, but the monitor doesn't show anything but the long, colorful lines. I tried to boot up in Safe Mode, but again, I couldn't tell if it worked. I took the new graphics card out and put my old one back in, and the monitor worked fine.

Is there anything else that I should have done before installing the new card, i.e. changing the BIOS settings? If so, which ones? Could it be a bad card? Or something completely different?

Thank you so much for any help and advice!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Weird lines on screen after installing new graphics card!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Weird lines on screen after installing new graphics card!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Does it..

In reply to: Weird lines on screen after installing new graphics card!

Does it need any kind of power supply and normaly graphics cards have a small Plug and Play factor so you can turn your computer on and install the drivers, the BIOS shouldnt do anything so dont bother with that, also what colour are the lines and what do they do?

Collapse -
More about the lines...

In reply to: Does it..

No, no additional power supply required, so far as I can tell. It seems to install right into the appropriate slot, just like the old graphics card. And, when I reinstall the old graphics card (after trying to install the new one), the computer boots up just like I suppose it should - Windows boots up, and as soon as my desktop is up the "Found New Hardware" wizard comes up and installs the drivers for the old graphics card.

The line screen that I'm getting on my monitor has long, vertical, straight lines from the top to the bottom of the screen. At first they seem to be a mixture of yellow, black, green and white; then the screen goes black for a second; then comes another set of long, straight, vertical lines, but these ones also seem to have blue and pink in them.

Collapse -
Does..

In reply to: More about the lines...

If you plug your screen connector into the one on the motherboard with the new graphics card in does it show a picture?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.