Computer Help forum

General discussion

Weird Laptop Battery Problem

by andy9279 / August 14, 2014 6:25 PM PDT

I was recently given an old Compaq Presario X1000, I re-installed Windows XP onto it, and bought a new battery because the old one wouldn't charge.

Well this new battery will charge to 100%, then the battery stops charging and the charge gradually falls to 0% over the course of a few hours and the computer dies. Sometimes I can prevent this if I unplug the charger and plug it back in, then it starts charging back toward 100% again.

I should mention I do not have the original charger for this laptop, although I do have two different ones that it will run off of.

Andy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Weird Laptop Battery Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Weird Laptop Battery Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's a helpful clue
by Jimmy Greystone / August 14, 2014 11:33 PM PDT

That's a helpful clue about the non-original chargers. If the chargers you have don't have the same output capacity as the original charger, that could easily explain your problem. Frankly using any chargers that don't have exactly the same electrical specifications as the original is a rather dicey idea. It could damage the laptop, the charger, up to and including an electrical fire.

First thing you should do to start diagnosing this problem is find yourself an original charger for the unit. Either buy one from HP or check eBay for someone selling one or the same unit for parts because of a broken display or something like that. Contact the seller, see if they'd be willing to sell you the charger separately. Once you have an original charger, if the problem persists we can go from there.

Collapse -
Get the required AC charger 1st
by Willy / August 15, 2014 12:04 AM PDT

I agree with Jimmy on anything laptop charger related as explained. While some chargers can be inter-changed that's not a given. Batteries of later make have a Li-ion smart pcb aboard which allows it to be charged AND!!! telling the charger to idle or stop charging. Further, the quality of battery makes a difference on top of all this. If the specs aren't matched as the OEM intended you introduce issues as you seem to be experiencing, further you may have already caused a minor failure or compromised the charging setup which includes the entire sphere of doing that. then you add the wear&tear of age it just makes it worse or provides the excuse as related as well. Now, you may already be experiencing why you got the laptop if that was the original issue that occurred. I suggest you check online the specs of the OEM provided charger what is required and match it against yours. About the only side step to this is having a "multiple charger" type setup like a Targus charger which can "auto-adapt".

FYI- Sometimes if you push as is, you have a catastrophic failure to include battery melt down, explosion, fire or similar. Also, battery makers have provided less than desirable/capable batteries as well.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Thanks...but
by andy9279 / August 15, 2014 12:56 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply. Actually the previous owner gave me an old Targus APA10 adapter he was using with the laptop (before I got this new battery) with an output voltage range of 15-24V, this laptop needs 18.5V I understand. But as far as I can tell the Targus doesn't seem to charge the battery. I've got two chargers which put out 18.5V, 3.5A, 65W, which according to the manual online, is what this laptop uses. They're the ones I'm having the issue with.

Andy

Collapse -
Nice clues here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2014 12:53 AM PDT

1. Not the original charger.
2. The XP reinstall.

I see folk clued in on #1 so about #2. XP is far too hard on folk to install. For example read http://forums.cnet.com/7726-7587_102-2699006.html?tag=posts;msg5451420 and you see that for that model the drivers and apps (yes, folk, it takes more than drivers) were not only that many but were not on a web site!

3. That's old. Be aware this is a laptop well past it's service date so all bets are off that it's OK. Tip? Try it with a current Linux.

Bob

Collapse -
Just A Thought.. Have You Tried This?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 15, 2014 8:03 AM PDT

In order to correct problems with the battery's power management software, follow the steps below.
1. Access the "Device Manager" .
2. Expand the Batteries category.
3. Under the Batteries category, right-click the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" listing, and select Uninstall .
WARNING: Do not remove the Microsoft AC Adapter driver or any other ACPI compliant driver.
4. After uninstalling the "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery", on the Device Manager taskbar, click the "Scan for hardware changes" button .
Alternately, select Action > Scan for hardware changes .
Windows will scan your computer for hardware that doesn't have drivers installed, and will install the drivers needed to manage your battery's power. Restarting Windows will have the same effect of letting Windows re-recognize the hardware and installing the correct drivers.

If that doesn't fix it, then shut down the computer, unplug all power cords, remove the battery, then depress the power button for 30 seconds. Replace the battery making sure all connections are solid, then plug in the power cord. Hopefully things are good.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.