General discussion

weird download speed

I am using windows 7. I just did an online test to test my download speed and got about 10mbps. For some reason when I actually download stuff I get a speed of 40KB/s max. Does anyone know what might be causing this.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: weird download speed
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: weird download speed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Download speed

The download tests usually use a site that can run at full speed for the test. When you are actually downloading real stuff, you are limited by the capability of the site itself. Poor site or good one with lots of users will give low speeds. What sites are you going to?

- Collapse -
Download a large file

Those java and flash based tests are not accurate at all.
If you have Comcast they also have power boost which only lasts for the first 10 meg or so.
Go to Microsoft, Adobe, HP or a site that has a large pipe. Download a large file and see how that comes out.

- Collapse -
40 kbs is real slow

for a 10Mb connection. Contact your ISP and complain. Just a guess but I'd say around 2MBs is what it is supposed to download at, maybe less.

- Collapse -
You may have to tell all.

For example some ISPs do bandwidth shaping. Torrent users have complaints like yours so if a test is fine but a torrent is slow then that's an explanation in itself. Save yourself a lot of time by reading complaints from other torrent users.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info