Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Weird connectivity problem between Sony Vaio and D-link wifi

by deaddwomannwalkingg / January 1, 2009 7:00 AM PST

There's this rather absurd connectivity problem that my Sony Vaio faces with my D-Link wi-fi router.

I'll mention the problems first
1) Sites such as yahoo mail and facebook would load at their own will. Facebook's homepage loads and beyond that nothing. Yahoo Mail shows me how many mails I have but will not let me read the mail content.
2) Yahoo messenger doesn't let me transfer webcam/pictures.
3) On various sites as soon as I click on submit the form the page reloads/gives up an error.

Now here's a solution that I tried the last time and which worked. I changed the "Channel" on my laptop's wireless card. It worked then. Now when am changing the channel to the one that I had previosuly it is not working Sad

My wireless router has channel st to 6. Ive changed my card's channel to 6 and I still have the same set of problems Sad

Could somebody help me out please ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Weird connectivity problem between Sony Vaio and D-link wifi
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Weird connectivity problem between Sony Vaio and D-link wifi
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This sounds just like another discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2009 7:15 AM PST

In the end it was 2 things.

1. There was some malware on the machine. Read what you find on google with these 2 words -> GRIF SUPERANTISPYWARE

2. The router was not setup per our forum sticky. After we did that and got the malware out, it was back to normal.

Now you could have firewalled your machine too much. But there is no mention of the firewall in your posting.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks a ton for replying
by deaddwomannwalkingg / January 1, 2009 11:00 AM PST

well I had just formatted my laptop and testing my internet connection was d first thing that I did. So there isnt any chance of a malware being in there.

It's some setting that I need to tweak I guess but am unable to figure out which one Sad

Collapse -
Just need a little clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2009 11:03 AM PST

An error message would help. Also how your setup differs from our forum sticky.

Collapse -
ummm which sticky ?
by deaddwomannwalkingg / January 1, 2009 11:54 AM PST

am new here, couldnt really locate the sticky you're talking about ?

I don't get any error message strangely enough. The stuff just won't load. that's it. My IE/Mozilla will just show up the usual "check your internet connection" error.

What I find awfully strange is that everything works perfectly fine on my father's laptop.

Collapse -
The forum sticky is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2009 4:07 AM PST
In reply to: ummm which sticky ?
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.