Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Weird Connection,No Signal

by DigitalFrost / August 30, 2008 4:48 PM PDT

Hello CNET ^_^
I'm experiencing a weird problem since yesterday,really weird
Since yesterday,every night,I cant find my Wireless Network,I have to refresh "View wireless Network" & change the PC location several time's before it finally detects my Wireless Network,now another problem,when I finally find my Wireless Network,I click Connect,I get Conncected,
The status is as follow:
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/8025/61183582yu0.png
You will notice the Signal Strenght is "No Signal",but I still have acess to the Internet with the browser but its really not stable,I cant use any applications requiring an Internet Connection because I will get disconnected within seconds,
It's really weird because I only had this problem after 9:00PM since yesterday and even thought It says No Signal I still get acess to FireFox & IE7,only any other application requiring Internet when runned,will get disconnected as the connection is not stable.
Please,I need help(My router is Wireless-N WRT300N & PCI Adapter is AirLink Plus G,yes i'v already tried to re-install the driver,didnt work).

To make it short,why does it take's time all of sudden to detect my Wireless Network,and why does it says No Signal =(
Sorry for bad english,its not my first language
-DigitalFrost

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Weird Connection,No Signal
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Weird Connection,No Signal
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why is this connection . . .
by Coryphaeus / August 30, 2008 8:57 PM PDT

Wireless connection 3? What about connection 1 and 2.

Collapse -
Hmm?
by DigitalFrost / August 31, 2008 1:52 AM PDT

Um...I never noticed it was Wireless Network 3,does it matter,think it has to do something about the problem?
*interesting* xD

Collapse -
Open your network connections. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 31, 2008 5:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm?

and take a look. There should only be one connection for each type. One for LAN and one for wireless. I actually have two LAN (wired) in my server because I have an on board 10/100 and a PCI Gigabit. I have two wired connections but I know why.

If you have three wireless connections, something's wrong. Investigate the properties of each, and deleting/disabling may be in order.

Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2008 1:54 AM PDT

Unsecured WIFI or WEP can result in this happening today. I don't write in detail why anymore but please try it per our forum sticky which in short is:

1. SSID Broadcasting.
2. WPA.
3. Latest router firmware.

Collapse -
All done already
by DigitalFrost / August 31, 2008 2:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Just so you know.

My router has the latest version,and my network is secured(WEP)

Collapse -
WEP is not secure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2008 5:22 AM PDT
In reply to: All done already

We cover this in many discussions here and posts like yours occur every few days when WEP is used.

Your choice here.
Bob

Collapse -
Were?
by DigitalFrost / August 31, 2008 7:05 AM PDT
In reply to: WEP is not secure.

I'v been searching around the forum and havn't seen my answer,
If you could re-direct me to the post I would really appreciate =)
I noticed,everytime I open my computer,when I unplug modem & router and replugg them the internet works again,
Only thing is that its annoying to always unplug/replugg the router & modem when I open my computer.

Collapse -
The forum sticky, top post is at this link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2008 7:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Were?
Collapse -
Sorry
by DigitalFrost / August 31, 2008 7:21 AM PDT

Sorry for this trouble,I do understand,I was just saying that when I typed my request in the Search box,I didnt find such post,but thanks for the link,*reading the post*

Collapse -
No need to be...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2008 7:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry

It's just a repeating issue. Look on google for WEP CRACK and more. We don't dive into how to crack wep or the all too easy how to drive your neighbor crazy by disrupting their WEP network for hopefully obvious reasons. Someday we might but not today. No need helping them how to do that.
Bob

Collapse -
Working(at least for now)
by DigitalFrost / August 31, 2008 7:32 AM PDT
In reply to: No need to be...

Worked!
The link you gave me is great!
I changed my WEP Network to WPA in 2 seconds,now it works,hopefully there wont be any problems in the hours that are comming
Thanks again

Collapse -
Best of continued luck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2008 7:38 AM PDT

That sticky post has the setup that the contributors, mods and others use most often. It's hard won knowledge from the field and for now is the preferred setup.
Bob

Collapse -
Quick Question!
by DigitalFrost / August 31, 2008 10:13 AM PDT

Yeah,still working,
only little problem ,well not really one,on my dad's Laptop it says No Signal but the Internet works for him even thought the Signal Strenght is "No Signal",weird but hey ,at the end Internet works =D

I dont want to create a double-post so I'll ask a quick question;For some reason my dad cant have the chance to enter the key password because hes laptop automatically connects to our server,even if we click Disconnect, it reconnects by itself,were trying to figure out a way to "disable" the "automatic" connection to our server so we can have a chance to type in the good(new) key password

Collapse -
I've seen that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2008 10:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Quick Question!

Sadly it was a buggy driver. RSSI (see google) is not implemented well across wifi, cell phones and more. Frankly what I know and think about "more bars" is not fit to print.

The disconnect issue is another area of deep discussions. I can't tell if you use some vendors wifi connection manager or the Windows native one. I've had to try both and settle on "the one the works."

Bob

Collapse -
didnt last long
by DigitalFrost / September 1, 2008 10:23 AM PDT
In reply to: I've seen that.

So one day after,the problem is back,Im connected,Internet works,but I got No Signal as Strenght Signal,so the connection wont stop dropping every 2 minutes,which is really frustrating when im gaming(playing MMORPG).
I thought the change to WPA would of really solved the problem =/

Collapse -
Is this your adapter?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2008 12:07 PM PDT
Collapse -
D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G510 Wireless
by DigitalFrost / September 1, 2008 10:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Is this your adapter?

Hello,
Well my adapter isn;t a USB but a card in the computer
Here is the model;
D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G510 Wireless
My Router is a Linksys Wireless-N WRT300N
By the way,disconnecting Router==>Modem then reconnecting Modem==>Router make's the Internet works,but sadly I have to do this everytime I start my computer

Collapse -
I have the DWL-G510
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2008 11:24 PM PDT

It's junk. I found it would sporadically work. Others I share this finding with write similar responses.

Get something else.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by DigitalFrost / September 2, 2008 2:29 PM PDT
In reply to: I have the DWL-G510

Yeah,trying to avoid buying new stuff,but i;ll have to suck it up,
thx for support

Collapse -
Last hurrah.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2008 10:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

And it barely helped. I used XP's WZC rather than Dlink's network management. It helped but did not fix this one. I'd give it away but I want to search for new firmware and try it on Linux someday.
Bob

Collapse -
Same adapter?
by DigitalFrost / September 4, 2008 6:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Last hurrah.

You have the same PCI adapter than I do?
If you get any update on the problem let me kno ^^

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?