Computer Help forum

Question

Weird Beeping and Unresponsive Mouse?

by SoupOrJuice123 / November 20, 2013 1:47 PM PST

The video explains pretty much everything, anything else is probably in the description. Any other questions, just ask.

And no, when this happened to me while playing the game normally I wasn't doing anything, well, out of the ordinary.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Weird Beeping and Unresponsive Mouse?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Weird Beeping and Unresponsive Mouse?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Tell more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2013 1:50 PM PST

Did you try your monthly maintenance ahead of schedule? You know, canned air on vents and heat sinks.
Bob

Collapse -
Pretty much new hardware, doubt that's the issue.
by SoupOrJuice123 / November 20, 2013 1:52 PM PST
In reply to: Tell more.

Yes and no. I sprayed it out about 2 weeks ago but all of this is new parts. New PSU, CPU, Mobo, Vid Card, and HDD. Fresh install of Windows on an SHDD. That's why this is confusing to me as it was never a problem on my old HDD/Windows install. Of course I've never done anything quite like that in regards to a stress test before.

Collapse -
Ahh, new.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2013 2:31 PM PST

When I see a new PC do that I have the cover off, power off then reach in and give the CPU and other heat sinks a little torque to see if they feel like they are on solid. The feel must be just right with that good feeling and a little squishy rotation test to feel if the compound is there. I still encounter PC builders that think compound is optional.

Given it's new, I also review the selected parts. Some new builders skimp on the power supply or didn't know that it's not only Watts but Amperes we need to check.
Bob

Collapse -
Checked connections
by SoupOrJuice123 / November 21, 2013 12:12 AM PST
In reply to: Ahh, new.

Fairly certain all the parts are seated properly, everything is plugged in correctly. I also did use a PSU watt calculator however not sure how the PSU could be causing this issue to crop up at random. Also not sure how to calculate the required Amperes necessary, could you elaborate?

Collapse -
Elaboration.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2013 12:20 AM PST
In reply to: Checked connections

When I want to build a reliable desktop PC I follow some simple rules. The first rule is that no rail shall be run at over 50% of its rating. So to figure that out I find the biggest consumer on any rail. For most of the time that's the GPU or graphics card.

Now that I know which graphics card is being used I head to the web to find benchmarks such as http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-titan-performance-review,3442-12.html

Using that as a guide I see 450 Watts total so to keep it safe I opt for spec out a 900 Watt PSU.
I see 145ish Watts for the card so that's well inside all known 900 Watt PSUs and I'm done.

You may wonder why 50% It's because folk get really upset if it fails just a few years later. Power supplies use electrolytic capacitors and if you get out the data sheets you see how they age and then you know.

And yes, you can skimp on that.
Bob

Collapse -
aCTUAL VIDEO
by SoupOrJuice123 / November 21, 2013 3:08 AM PST
In reply to: Tell more.
Collapse -
Nice but it appears you are running so many things that
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2013 3:25 AM PST
In reply to: aCTUAL VIDEO

Well, this is just another lesson about that. I can't find where you tossed out anything that is optional such as f.lus, steam, overwolf and what else?

If this happens primarily with games you research that game and the phrase BSOD to see if others have issues.

Why I note this is that a member had a near record 60+ posts and at about post 58 they revealed the game name and I found that game is know to BSOD with a particular AA setting.

It became another Roseanne Roseannadanna moment.
Bob

Collapse -
Something odd in the DXDIAG?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2013 3:30 AM PST
Collapse -
Win 7 SP1?
by SoupOrJuice123 / November 21, 2013 5:09 AM PST

I downloaded the Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium w/ SP1 .iso from Microsoft's website (not sure where exactly). Burned it to a disc and did a fresh install.

It's also not exactly a crash as far as I can tell just an overload of input.

The game is Garry's Mod that it happened to. I did close everything except what I figure is required (AMD and Intel processes, basically).

Collapse -
That's a problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2013 8:33 AM PST
In reply to: Win 7 SP1?

That install could be incomplete. I've lost track of an old discussion where we had to update the SSD firmware, BIOS, install the Intel RST app and then rip out the old audio video drivers, install the motherboard drivers and finally re-install the audio and video drivers.

I consider all that consumer unfriendly and if you feel the same, why not ask for a RMA on the parts that are failing you?

However the power supply is still suspect as I'm missing some detail.

In the meantime reduce all video effects, turn off AA and more.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.