Question

weird battery issue

Today I opened the back of my computer, disconnected my fan, took it out and blew it out. put everything back together and have since had a weird issue with my battery. The computer says the battery is not charging. However, when I hover over my battery icon it says I have 5479 hr 00 min (82%) remaining. The percent hasn't change at yet, so I would assume that the computer is running off of the AC adapter and not off the battery, but I cant figure out why it would display the huge time remaining. Not sure where to begin to look to resolve this issue, any advice would help a lot. I can run computer off just the battery and no connection with AC adapter and I can run computer with just AC adapter and no battery in. I get no errors regarding the wrong type of AC adapter connection either.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: weird battery issue
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: weird battery issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Just an idea.

Try hitting the Dell documents on your model and see if there is a battery calibration feature. Then try that.

Remember that as batteries go past their 300 cycle rated life they can get weird. What confuses many is that past this 300 and 18 months there is no consistent pattern of failures or behavior. Those less confused know that inconsistency is normal for old batteries.
Bob

- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Recheck

I have no clue as to the age of the battery, so let's concentrate on that recent fan cleaning. Recheck your work and be sure that the fan is installed correctly, the way its suppose to be and connect, yada, yada,. Now, IMO the fan cleaning shouldn't effect the battery in my normal thinking, unless in some way you accessed that or had to remove it during the cleaning. This is why I mention, check your work, don't take anything for granted. As for the battery gauge of 82%, simply use the battery w/o AC connection and that should drop as time goes time. If not, then the monitoring got hosed or somehow effected. Which is why on "older" batteries anything can be suspect or get flaky. If that XPS model has a reset button(access hole) see if that corrects the issue, Visit the Dell support website or review the manual on your model#.

- Collapse -
more info

Battery has to be removed during cleaning. Battery is pulled out the back, panel taken off bottom and then the fan is just 2 screws, unplugged cleaned, put back together. Battery is now at 81% but still shows 5418 hr 00 min remaining. Cant find a battery calibration feature.

- Collapse -
Typical "other" method.
- Collapse -
clarification

Not to worried about the percent. its the remaining time left and the lack of it showing that it is charging that is bothering me. I just want to make sure nothing is wrong and Im not going to ruin my computer. saying that it has 5000+ hours remaining is not normal, and it should show that it is charging. unless you think this method might fix this as well.

- Collapse -
Sounds normal.

The stock battery is just a 300 cycle unit. But the hours in the software does sound buggy. Since that is not open source you have to deal with Dell to get it fixed.
Bob

CNET Forums