General discussion

Website surfing simulation?

Hi,

I have a website and I would like to display it on a pc in my shop so that customers can see the website while they are there.

I don't really want just one page displayed at a time that I have to change manually. Is there any way I can simulate someone browsing my site as if they are clicking and scrolling and visiting different pages? I would prefer to use the live files on the server as they are always being updated. Beacause of that I don't want any script like redirects in the pages themselves.

I also would like to be able to get out of "auto mode" pretty quickly and easily then I can override it or do something else on the pc.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Minskintin

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Website surfing simulation?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Website surfing simulation?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -

Dear minskin,

I can think of two moderately easy options.

One, you download free "desktop recording software", which will simply record your movements on your desktop into a small video file. You may then play back the video to your customers, and make it loop - so they will be watching you open page by page or however you do it.

Another method is similar. You find a relatively common and free piece of software somewhere along the lines of "Auto Key". It also records your movements, but gives you the option of recoding the script to modify delays. You can simply click through all of your links, and then recode it to do repeat every "x" seconds and modify the delay between each click.

Those two are probably the easiest ways. They do not require you to alter your website coding whatsoever, and option two will always have updates pages.

Hope this helps,
-AInTeL

- Collapse -
Thanks

AInTeL,

that's great, just what I need. I'll go for option 2 and see how I go.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Minskin

CNET Forums

Forum Info