General discussion

Website fonts snag

Sometimes I don't get a response in the Web Design forum for days, so I thought I would throw this into the air here and hope somebody can tell me how to do what I want regarding fonts on my site.

I have a small table down the left side of my site that will have clickable links to the main category pages as each separate category page will then have it's own table of contents via graphics or text links further down into the site.

Inside that table I have text only links that I want to have consistent fonts that go with the rest of the site. I use a basic Tahoma Font that nearly all browsers can view correctly, but the smallest I get for a choice is 8pt. It's still a little larger than I want it to be since 800x600 carries a two word line down to two lines instead in order to fit in the table. I don't want to change the size of the table horizontally because then it will overlap into the actual area rather than the lace border it sits in currently.

How do I change the HTML for the font size down to 6pt instead? Can I manually type it into the HTML and have it work or am I limited with Tahoma to no smaller than 8pt?

TONI

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Website fonts snag
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Website fonts snag
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Hi Toni

I do visit the Web Design forum occasionally and do my best, (little that it is), to hinder people there, Happy

You already know about the problems with different browsers and screen resolutions, and nowadays this is a perennial problem for web site design.

But with this particular problem, have you thought about using subscript? It brings its own difficulties of course, but it will bring the font size down.

I hope this helps

Mark

- Collapse -
Figured it out

I checked the HTML and saw that even though I set the table properties to be 8pt...the actual LINES of text were showing up as 'font-small(1)'

Once I removed that entry from the HTML for the lines, it bounced into being 8pt which actually is the size I wanted it to be and kept thinking it was larger than it should have been because it was defaulting to the LINE entry instead.

TONI

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Nice work
- Collapse -
New problem

I wanted to put a main category 'nav' type bar near the top of my pages. I can do this easily by adding a nav bar (FP nav bar looks like crap and doesn't give me the links I want in it for some reason by default; however, I if I cut out the default crap and paste in what I really want to show up there, that works); however......

I have two separate pages that I use for the background. One is a solid color with a decoration down the left side for the main category pages, and one is a solid white page with only a left border that matches the same decoration that is on the solid pages.

I use two different colored fonts for the pages involved. The solid color page uses a beige colored font even for the links because the background is a very dark burgundy. The white page uses a navy blue font against the white which shows up very nicely but has burgundy links to match the other pages.

If I try to create the nav bar with my copy/paste method to get the text links for the categories...it immediately defaults to whichever color font the page is already formatted to use......however because it's a shared border, it goes to the white page the same way with the cream colored font that you can barely see. If I use the burgundy color for those hyperlinks on the white page, it tries to use the same color on the burgundy pages, and it all disappears because the color is identical to the background on those pages.

So, even though the shared border would then apply to all the pages on the site at one time, I can't use a shared border.

If I use a table row instead, everything lines up in the right spot with exactly the right color text hyperlinks and the templates are perfect for now using for any new pages. But it means I have to manually create the table on every existing page before I publish the site.

Anybody got a hint on how I can get the table inserted into the pages I want (two different tables based on font color alone) without having to do each one manually?

TONI

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Out of my league I'm afraid. Sorry

CNET Forums

Forum Info