Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Website-blocking software...

by Sparlingfairy / September 7, 2008 6:30 AM PDT

Is there any software out there that can password-lock websites (ideally more than one website at a time). I have been trying to find something for a while now, and I cannot find anything that is free. It is either expansive or just on a trial basis. I need something that, once you?ve inserted the password, doesn?t let you back in for at least a month or so. Is there anything like this available?

I have windows ME.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Website-blocking software...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Website-blocking software...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try a hosts file.
by Tarq57 / September 7, 2008 6:47 AM PDT
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
This will block a large number of known undesirable (hazardous) sites by default; you can edit it with any site you wish. It will prevent all access to that site until you modify the entry.
Or is it more the "net-nanny" sort of thing you're after?
Collapse -
Does it password ptotect them?
by Sparlingfairy / September 7, 2008 7:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Try a hosts file.

Thanks

Don't need net-nanny. Does that password protect the websites until you need them again? Because whatever it is I download, it must have password protection.

Collapse -
No. It's not
by Tarq57 / September 7, 2008 7:05 AM PDT

a password protection. It prevents the websites loading at all. Totally blocks them.
Perhaps you better explain exactly what it is you need, maybe why, for a bit of context.
I might be recommending something based on what I think you want that isn't actually what you want.

Collapse -
"once you?ve inserted the password, doesn?t let you back in
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2008 7:13 AM PDT

"once you?ve inserted the password, doesn?t let you back in for at least a month or so."

Looking over your "specification" I can answer I've yet to find any of the NetNanny type applications offer such a timed feature or lock that expires like you asked for.

Given there is no such product maybe you can make do with the free solutions found with http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=free+parental+control
Bob

Collapse -
Just password..
by Sparlingfairy / September 7, 2008 8:41 AM PDT

Thanks for the links. Forget about the time limit. I basically need it becuase I think I'm spending much too much time on the Internet. I have studying and will be starting back at work in a few weeks and the Internet just eats my time. I have little self-control, I will admit that. There needs to be no temptation.

Is there any software that is primarily a website blocker? I don't really need all the extra features that come with parental control.

Is there anything specific? If I get a password one I'll just get someone else to put in the password.

Collapse -
Any..
by Sparlingfairy / September 8, 2008 9:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Just password..

Does anyone have any ideas for password-only software??

Collapse -
I think that maybe
by Tarq57 / September 8, 2008 9:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Any..

this is something you're going to have to solve at the behavioural issue, rather than using software.
What you're attempting is a bit like giving up smoking by getting someone to handcuff you for an hour at a time.
It probably won't work.

Collapse -
It does...
by Sparlingfairy / September 8, 2008 10:35 AM PDT
In reply to: I think that maybe

But I think it does help. A while ago I had a trial one on my computer and it worked just fine. I wasn't thinking about it or too bothered by not being on. I just need to be blocked off. It will help me get on with things.

Anyway, if anyone can help

Collapse -
Can you remember the name
by Tarq57 / September 8, 2008 10:53 AM PDT
In reply to: It does...

of the trial one you had? Why not use it? Or is it expensive to purchase?

Collapse -
Much too...
by Sparlingfairy / September 10, 2008 9:04 AM PDT

It's much too expensive to buy at the moment... I can't really afford it.

I just need a simple piece of software that password locks websites. That is all. If anyone has any ideas do share.

Collapse -
Any ideas?
by Sparlingfairy / September 11, 2008 12:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Much too...

Bump. Does anyone have any ideas? Surely there is something out there. I'm not too good with technical stuff, so I'm rubbish at finding software.

Collapse -
If you post
by Tarq57 / September 11, 2008 12:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Any ideas?

the name of the trial you had, it may just help those of us who can ferret out this stuff find a freeware equivalent.

Collapse -
Bump...
by Sparlingfairy / September 14, 2008 5:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Website block

Bump.

Collapse -
Re: Bump...
by Big Steve / September 15, 2008 1:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Bump...

Sounds to me like you might have some Internet addictive issues. You're not spending too much time surfing sites you shouldn't be surfing are you? You know which kind of sites I'm talking about I'm sure.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.