PC Applications forum

General discussion

Webpage Creation Software Pakcages

I posted this once in the virus forum by mistake I think its better off over here.

I want to make a basic website but need/want more options than FrontPage has to offer.

Here are a few things I want to do:
1.)- (NEED) to create rollover expanding lists. Sort of like company, locations, products and when you roll the mouse over locations it gives to a choice to choose Boston, Miami and NYC then by clicking them you go to another page for each city. I have heard you can do this in Javascript but I don't know Java right now. If I do learn Java do I need to create the page in another program other than FrontPage?

2.) - (want but really want so close to need) to limit right click access to pictures for example that I don't want people downloading and using on their own websites.

3.) - I need this to be a cheap solution as I don't want to pay tons of money for a product that I may use once or twice for my own website. But I do want to know the options for more expensive solutions because I am a great sale shopper.

4.) - (NEED) this to be relatively easy. I am a pro in the computer/IT field and have done a lot of database work but not much with websites so I need a solution that is dumbed down enough I can use wizards if I have to but smart enough that it won't feel like I am using crayons once I do learn it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Webpage Creation Software Pakcages
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Webpage Creation Software Pakcages
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's move one more time. . .

In reply to: Webpage Creation Software Pakcages

Collapse -
Front Page can do what you need

In reply to: Webpage Creation Software Pakcages

I have both FP2000 and FP2003, created my website with a separate very easy menu (and free) by CoffeeCup (I didn't care for the FP navigation bar because it was difficult to place where I wanted it to be. The menu is a hover-mouse rollover type and you can pick the colors for everything and the text size/font style.

FP2003 has an option for split view now so you can type/create your site in one pane and view the code source as it's being created in another pane at the same time. Learn as you go...and you can preview the page in various browsers and resolutions. (The Preview tab never looks like the end result so previewing it a browser is a better test)

If you have a web host with Front Page Extensions available, you can upload (publish) the pages from within Front Page itself directly to your site and all components such as a forms page and/or hit counter will work correctly. Just using an FTP program to upload the pages to the site doesn't make the components work correctly...they need to published from within FrontPage itself to do that. I use the FTP program for uploading individual files only that are downloadable from my site.

As for wanting a 'disable right click' to grab the graphics.....that's pretty much a myth. Since the graphics will be in somebody's temporary internet files folder as soon as they visit your site, they can copy those files from the TIF folder directly to their harddrive if they are computer savvy enough to know that and they will have what they want anyhow. No program will prevent that.

FP2003 is about $70....can't get much cheaper than that except free which is what you can get here from this author site. http://www.evrsoft.com It's called 1stpage....the last time I was at their site it was version 2000 and I'm sure it's been updated since then.

TONI

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.