Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Webmail functionality reduced

by slackkeymike / January 23, 2008 11:06 AM PST

I am not sure what has happened. I have installed MSIE ver 7, Kaspersky ver 7, and now, I cannot delete messages at comcast.net webmail. I uninstalled Kaspersky. Still no good. I do have spybot s&d installed. Its a new OS install. All critical updates are in place. An interesting side note is that if I log into the kids account, I can fully manipulate comcast webmail. Just not from my account (cannot delete messages). I have tried to purge cookies, files, history. No luck. I am suspecting some security setting. Any ideas?

Mike

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Webmail functionality reduced
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Webmail functionality reduced
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Opera has same problem
by slackkeymike / January 24, 2008 10:17 AM PST

OK, tried Opera browser, and I have the same problem. So it is not my AV, or MSIE (Opera shows the same issue).

ANy ideas?

Mike

Collapse -
useful
by slackkeymike / January 24, 2008 12:45 PM PST
In reply to: Opera has same problem

Useful forum.

Mike

Collapse -
Re: webmail
by Kees Bakker / January 24, 2008 4:47 PM PST

With "your account" and "kids account", do you mean the accounts on your computer or the webmail-accounts at your mail provider. That's quite a difference.

Let's see:
- When logged in in Windows XP in your account you can manipulate your kids mail and not your own mail.
- When logged in in Windows XP in your kids account you can manipulate both mailboxes.
- When logged in to the webmail on your work PC (or the PC of a friend or family) you can manipulate both mailboxes.

Or something like that. Or something else. Please detail your problem.

Kees

Collapse -
Its really not that complicated...
by slackkeymike / January 25, 2008 11:37 AM PST
In reply to: Re: webmail

But as it turns out, I cannot manipulate web email (at comcast.net) regardless of account. On any computer but this one, I can select and delete webmail without problems. On this computer, I can very occasionally delete messages on webmail, but only after clicking back and forth on the "get mail" button, or something similar. There is some interaction that just is not working on this computer. Very odd. It is not dependant on browser brand (opera demonstrates the same problem). I have a laptop that operates behind the same hardware firewall, and its just fine. I have another computer here that I can get to with VNC, but I have not tried that yet.

There is something goofy here that just makes no sense.

Mike

Collapse -
Found it!
by slackkeymike / January 25, 2008 11:59 AM PST

OK...Found it! SpyBot S&D IE Protection program found under control panel/Internet Options/Programs/Manage Plugins. I Disabled it and all was back to normal. This is not a conflict issue with KIS or anything MS per say as the problem occured when KIS was uninstalled and with the Opera browser. This is a SpyBot problem only. Thanks all,

Mike (SpyBot S&D 1.5)

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for letting us know.
by Kees Bakker / January 28, 2008 5:15 AM PST
In reply to: Found it!
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!