Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

webdir.dll

by Bob-Lee Bibbly / June 18, 2005 3:57 AM PDT

Norton just alerted me that I'd got webdir.dll but said it was unable to delete it.I located the file and scanned with Norton which for some reason told me it was uninfected, bit of a contradiction there. Is it safe to just delete the file using moveonboot?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: webdir.dll
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: webdir.dll
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's a bad browser helper object
by Donna Buenaventura / June 18, 2005 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: webdir.dll
Collapse -
How to remove webdir.dll
by Donna Buenaventura / June 18, 2005 4:05 AM PDT
In reply to: webdir.dll
Collapse -
one more thing
by Bob-Lee Bibbly / June 18, 2005 10:13 AM PDT

Thanks, that sorted it out but before I deleted it I checked the properties on the file which indicated it was created in November 2004.How come it took Norton so long to pick it up and after it finally did and I then scanned it with Norton it gave it a clean bill of health?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) you may have just gotten infected.......
by dawillie / June 18, 2005 11:12 AM PDT
In reply to: one more thing
Collapse -
but surely
by Bob-Lee Bibbly / June 19, 2005 7:05 PM PDT

If I had only just been infected why was the file created seven months ago? and why , after Norton had alerted me to the infection was it unable to recognise it again when I scanned the file on its own?

This is not a trivial question,if Norton, Housecall,Spybot, Hijackthis and Adaware are unable to detect an infection for that long how can I be certain that there are no other undetected infections?

Collapse -
If you can
by Donna Buenaventura / June 19, 2005 8:50 PM PDT
In reply to: but surely

tell us the name of the threat e.g. Threat name: Spyware.007Spy so we can find out why it failed to detect before.

NAV will detect only Spyware and Adware but it will not remove them (This true for standalone NAV or earlier editions of NIS/NAV and Symantec noted it in their site. Not sure on NIS edition with Norton Antispyware). But they provide instructions on how to remove it.

NAV is an antivirus program, not antispyware. If it detects spyware or adware, it is so kind of them to add spyware/adware detections with their antivirus program. I salute antivirus and antitrojan vendors that adds detections for spyware and adware though their product is not offered as antispyware.

"This is not a trivial question,if Norton, Housecall,Spybot, Hijackthis and Adaware are unable to detect an infection for that long how can I be certain that there are no other undetected infections?"

For as long as the malware authors don't stop. We can't rely our own system on protections offered by any security programs alone. They are tools only. What we need is practise safehex, use alternative if the program is unpatched, lock down the browser and the system and if possible do not use administrator account or follow this: Browsing the Web and Reading E-mail Safely as an Administrator
This is why it is recommended to keep a real time protection enabled. We'll never know which one detects or not.
BTW, you mentioned HijackThis. HijackThis should show you the entry of webdir.dll. It's not a detection tool. It's a diagnostic tool.

Collapse -
all I know is
by Bob-Lee Bibbly / June 26, 2005 10:37 AM PDT
In reply to: If you can

Norton detected it as webdir.dll, I don't know if this threat has any other name.

"NAV is an antivirus program, not antispyware. If it detects spyware or adware, it is so kind of them to add spyware/adware detections with their antivirus program"

I appreciate that but the question I'm asking is why did it go undetected for over six months by Norton which then allerted me to it but when I located the file and scanned it with Norton it was not recognised as a threat? why does Norton allert me to a threat but fail to recognise the file as a threat five minutes later?

Also, I have done countless scans with adaware and spybot and every other spyware scanner I could get my hands on but none of them picked it up.

Collapse -
Not sure unless we know the name of the threat they call it
by Donna Buenaventura / June 27, 2005 2:58 AM PDT
In reply to: all I know is

I tried searching their database online but no result on webdir or webdir.dll to hopefully find out the name of the "threat" and see "when" they added it in their "database". From there we can tell whether they just added it in their database or already there long time ago. This will allow us to answer your question.

In the "Activity Log" of your Norton program, can you lookup for the entry where it says it found webdir.dll is detected. Kindly find if it is mentioned in the activity log "threat name" for webdir.dll?

Collapse -
I did that

The only name they give for it is Trojan Horse which I guess is not very helpful.

Collapse -
Right. Not helpful to hopefully find out when it was added
by Donna Buenaventura / June 27, 2005 5:21 PM PDT
In reply to: I did that

in the database.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) "practise safehex" good one Donna!
by Berfert / June 27, 2005 10:05 PM PDT
In reply to: If you can
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?