Cameras forum

General discussion

Webcam tech advice, please

by Cleeve / May 30, 2010 1:02 PM PDT

Does anyone know of a current or recent webcam which outputs 16bit YUV with very good low light capability? (May 2010)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Webcam tech advice, please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Webcam tech advice, please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Opposing goals?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2010 10:24 PM PDT

Let's get this out of the way. "Webcam" for almost all discussions is a cheap thing built for disposable video use.

16 bit video channels are mostly for scientific use like Hubble and research so for that you look at the usual 5 and 6 figure cameras.

Then again you may want to reveal EXACTLY what you are trying to do.
Bob

Collapse -
There's always one
by Cleeve / May 31, 2010 10:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Opposing goals?

The webcam is one of four input devices to a large parallel processing array controlling a slow moving system. It samples the inputs spatially and temporally to make decisions based on the black and white component for edges and a coarse reading of colour to eliminate shadows and detect specific areas of interest. Resolution is not critical as it is downscaled and then resconstructed from other inputs. Changing the software is out of the question in terms of cost so it must be 16bit YUV. We will also change the lens, the power feed and the serial data line - but don't you worry about that!

Call it a webcam, a digital camera or anything else you want: I just need to try some low cost CCD or CMOS devices with good low-light capability which output YUV, 16bits down a serial line to replace one that is broken. To describe it EXACTLY would run to 100s of pages - and I'm not going to that level.

So, now we have got that out of the way, can you recommend anything that meets the original specification? or were you just making a point?

Collapse -
"replace one that is broken. "
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 1, 2010 12:18 AM PDT
In reply to: There's always one

So it is a scientific apparatus. It sounded like it. Tipping my hand here, I was involved in machine vision products and write apps to configure such.

Your spec should be some 100+ pages long since this area has few standards and when it comes to webcams, almost none. Let's look at something I'm about to implement.

http://www.robotshop.com/CMUcam3-robot-vision-system-1.html is the usual camera with open source so you can tweak it to fit.

http://www.electronics123.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2518/.f and others like it for use with other microcontrollers.

But I fear the cheap fix is to get with the original designer and replace the failed part with exactly the same thing to avoid all the work changing out the sensor will entail.
Bob

Collapse -
Like hens' teeth
by Cleeve / June 1, 2010 6:15 PM PDT

Thanks. At first glance the sites look useful. I'll get someone to look at them a bit deeper.
btw We were the original designers, but technology becomes obsolete so quickly (especially the low cost, mass market things) that they are like hen's teeth. Even the derivatives are getting are to find - hence a quick trawl of the market.

Collapse -
16 bit YUV.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 1, 2010 8:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Like hens' teeth

Since we do video processing in our apps (yes I do this) I know that it is a trivial bit of code to take an frame in almost any encoding and encode it to 16 bit YUV http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb970578(VS.85).aspx

Long ago, Intel had some vision processing libraries to do just that but I didn't go find them today.

So if the developers are still active maybe they can re-write the stuff to use something you can find today?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?