Computer Help forum

General discussion

webcal

Howdy, folks.

I guess this should be posted in the security forum but I guess it is experiencing a traffic jam at this time as I keep getting "page you requested could not be found."

I recently ran Rootkitrevealer which only reported some false positives but one I am not sure of. It reports having found HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\webcal\ URL Protocol. From what I have been able to learn is that webcal is probably something I need. But most of what I was able to learn could have been written in Martian for all I know. Could some one please let me know for sure if I need this Reg entry?

Thanks you.

Charlie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: webcal
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: webcal
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Webcal Is Part Of AOL And Is Frequently Part of Dell Comps

In reply to: webcal

....maybe AOL Spyware Protection that's been placed on the computer. Do a search for "webcal" on the computer and see if a .dll is found. You might be able to determine the properties of the file if you find it.

If you don't use the AOL product, then it's not really needed but still, it appears to be harmless as a "data mismatch". I found this in another discussion about the same detection;

Originally Posted by leccy
I've got a Dell too... and get the same detection...

it's something to do with AOL:
rundll32.exe C:\PROGRA~1\AOL9~1.0\WEBCAL~1.DLL,WebCalHandler %1

Just curious, which operating system are you using.?

Hope this helps

Grif

Collapse -
RE: Just curious........

In reply to: Webcal Is Part Of AOL And Is Frequently Part of Dell Comps

Thanks you, Grif for responding. Sorry bout that. I am using XP Home. I have backed-up and deleted the webcal key folder entry and so far so good.

While as a home/office user I consider myself more or less (probably less) a rather advance user and with all the info available on the Internet still it's sometimes difficult to determine what is or isn't important to maintain, much less which authors (even those well intentioned) can be trusted.

Using Regcleaner I find it easy for the most part but even using Regcleaner can result in serious problems. The Regcleaner I am referring too I believe was originally a MS app that as far as I can tell is no longer supported due to its propensity to cause serious problems if not used properly. But when used properly it can seemingly work small miracles where other apps, and often manual removal of reg entries can cause serious problems or would just be a big pita. While there seem to be a few look/sound alikes out there they don?t seem to be the same app.

Charlie

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!