HolidayBuyer's Guide

Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

web server location relative to my location

by sandchairs / June 27, 2008 7:58 PM PDT

I was wondering whether my choice in web host is limited to the particular country where I reside, or whether I can choose a web host from any country? If the latter is true, are there any disadvantages to this?

Also, I would like to set up a website and from what I understand from my investigations so far, there exist two possibilities. The first is to download all the necessary software and do it all by myself which will also involve finding a good host that meets my needs and also paying someone to optimise the website for Google. The other way would be to subscribe to an online company which provides all of these services in one package at a determined price. Which brings me to the question, "Has anyone ever come across a site called SiteBuildIt.com or also known as SiteSell.com? Would this be a good option and are they or do they do what they claim? If it is a good option, are there any other sites similar to SiteSell? Is it more practical to subscribe to a company like SiteSell where I can get all my hosting, web design and SEO needs all under one roof or would I be better off going it on my own?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: web server location relative to my location
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: web server location relative to my location
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
SEO = Usually a scam.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2008 12:36 AM PDT

Too many scams on SEO even though its a real factor. Do not pay for that!

As to server location it may be best in your country or the country you are trying to do business in.
Bob

Collapse -
why a scam?
by donaldjames62 / September 10, 2009 12:36 AM PDT
In reply to: SEO = Usually a scam.

what if you don't want to DIY, I am sure there are more experts who can do it better than most of us.

Collapse -
Answers
by Sovereign Forum moderator / June 28, 2008 5:42 AM PDT

* Get a server in the US. Because then you know the same laws and rights apply.
* It depends on how much time have to get the website up. Doing it yourself costs more time, but you can get it exactly how you want it and you learn while doing it. It's also much cheaper in the long run. Hiring someone is good if you want it done fast.
* Also, you don't have to buy software to design a website. There are many online content management system that are free, that walk you through step-by-step on how to build a template for your website. Look in to Joomla, Wordpress and Type 3 Lite.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.