Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Web Pages Very Big Text

by Powlaz / January 1, 2007 3:04 AM PST

I am stumped. The text on webpages viewed on this PC is huge. I checked the following:

From within IE 6: View>Text Size - the text size setting is 'small' and everything is still huge

Display Properties: Appearance> Font Size is Normal.
Display Properties: Settings> 1024x768 resolution
Display Properties: Settings>Advanced>DPI Setting -is 96 (lowest offered).

This is a Dell 4550 P4 computer with XP SP1 and IE 6 SP1.

Where can I look for an adjustment that works? It's almost as if IE is zoomed in but this version doesn't have zoom.

Thanks for the help,

Po

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Web Pages Very Big Text
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Web Pages Very Big Text
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: this version
by caktus / January 1, 2007 4:31 AM PST

You didn't mention what version or build of IE 6 you are using.

There's no Zoom utility in Display Properties > Settings > Advanced > Graphics > Graphics Properties?

Collapse -
Right click a blank spot on your display, click
by DarCLew2 / January 1, 2007 6:22 AM PST
In reply to: RE: this version

Properties. Click on Appearance Tab. At the bottom is Advanced, click on that. This is were you readjust all your settings. I favor Georgia.ttf. Both Active and Inactive are 19 but Georgia is 8 Bold; Icons are 31 with Gorgia Bold size 7; Menu is 17 with Georgia Bold 8; Message Box same as Menu's; Selected Types 17 with Georgia 8B; Tool Tip is yellower with Georgia 7 Bold. You can also match your colors in both active and inactive toolbars and I have dark blue and a lighter blue and both are white letters. Click Okay, then Apply and okay. It will tell you to please wait so it can set the new setup. Darrell L.

Collapse -
I checked these things too
by Powlaz / January 1, 2007 8:38 AM PST

There is no Graphics Properties or Zoom setting on the Display Properties Advanced menu. And in the Advanced settings for Appearnce everything is normal with the largest font size set at 10. Regular documents and all menus, taskbar, etc. are normal. It's just IE that's weird.

IE version:6.0.2800.1106
It's SP1

Po

Collapse -
Try This
by Tufenuf / January 1, 2007 8:42 AM PST

Po, Go into Internet Options and under the General tab click the Accessibility button and uncheck all items listed.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Graphics Setting and Zoom is a waste of time
by DarCLew2 / January 1, 2007 2:02 PM PST

CLICK THE APPEARANCE tAB ONLY. Below that are two items, EFFECT and under that is ADVANCED on the left side, click ADVANCED. I can set Font settings to 7, you can change the Font Type. In that same area, you can shrink ToolBars. Regular documents and all menus, taskbar, etc. are not normal. Obviously, you never changed the settings. They will effect Internet Explorer, your ISP etc. but since you are not doing anything, I won't waste my time with you. Good luck! You will need it. DarCLew2

Collapse -
Thanks for trying guys
by Powlaz / January 2, 2007 1:16 AM PST

Darclew2 in the Advanced menu of the Appearance tab everything was already set to 8 with one exception Active Title Bar- which is why I didn't feel the need to change it. As I mentioned everything else appears as it should anyway.
Under the Accessiblity portion of the Internet Options General tab everything was already unchecked - though thank you for the suggestion because I hadn't already checked it.
This one is baffling.

Thanks for trying,

Po

Collapse -
One of those settings was 10 for a different letters, but
by DarCLew2 / January 2, 2007 1:49 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for trying guys

it when down even lower when I used a different font. It was stuck at 10 but using Georgia, it dropped to 8 and 7. Even the size of Icons can be made smaller, by making the number smaller. Po, The appearance will not show until the changes are set first (you won't see anything at this point), click OK and nothing will show yet, Apply and you'll see "Please Wait", the color will dim and then you will see changes. If it is okay, click OK, if not, go back to Appearance and Advanced and make the changes you want. Darrell

Collapse -
Maybe it's time to repair or reinstall IE.
by caktus / January 2, 2007 2:32 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for trying guys
Collapse -
Updated to XP SP2
by Powlaz / January 12, 2007 12:09 AM PST

And that worked the problem out.

Thanks everyone for your ideas.

Po

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!