Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

web page urls saved, in windows xp

by spikester / June 12, 2005 3:13 PM PDT

How do you clean out the saved web page urls from the drop down menu?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: web page urls saved, in windows xp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: web page urls saved, in windows xp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
here's how
by AussiePete / June 12, 2005 3:58 PM PDT

tools>internet options then click on "delete files" and "delete cookies"

Peter

Collapse -
Not the easiest way to start, but easiest from then on.....
by tobeach / June 12, 2005 4:04 PM PDT

Download & install CCleaner .Exe(aka Crap Cleaner) from:
http://www.ccleaner.com/
This program is completely free & free from spyware, malware etc. Don't click on any sponsored or flashing ads.
This program (once set up and finished runnng for the first time) will allow you to clean out anything & everything you want in less than 3 seconds. This includes all those various helper completers, Index.dat (IE history not normally accessable) IE temp, Main Temp, IE history and about 20 other things if you want. Basically, you uncheck those things you don't want removed. You can enter the names of specific cookies you need to keep for whatever reason.
Once you've downloaded to desktop or my docs, go to this page:
http://www.ccleaner.com/help/help.asp
On that page one of the first down is ''File Cleaner''. in that text click on colored link for ''more info''and you'll reach a page that lists all the various things listed for cleaning along with descriptions of what each one is. Download this as a TEXT file and print it out. (About 6 pages?). This will allow you to go through the full list before running first scan. My first scan (ticked conservately not knowing what somewere) Removed close to 80 megs of stuff ! subsequent removals vary from 550k-6 megs.
For the 1st week or so, I suggest you click the ''options'' tab and tick ''add open ccleaner & run ccleaner'' to the right click list for recycle bin. On same page on left side click ''advanced'' button and check: ''Only delete files in Temp older than 48 hours.'' Also check ''Prompt'' about backing up reg files.'
In addition it'll clean histories in Win Media Player, Quicktime Player, Real player & much, much more.
Also works on Mozilla & Firefox , etc.
Initally I suggest you use the right click on reycycle bin to ''open cleaner'' then click anayze button which will list all in need oof cleaning (according to the check marks you added or deleted in settings).
Then click the clean button and be amazed !! You'll never use disk clean again!
Note: Sometimes it may report 3.9 megs to be cleaned and after cleaning may say only 3.2 megs cleaned. This is because somethings can't be cleaned while in use so it will automatically remember to clean the remains when you next boot up.
After a little while (getting confidence) you'll often just click the ''run cleaner'' on the right click recycle menu. The ''wait hourglass'' will come up for perhaps 1 1/3 seconds and vanish. You're all clean. Note: You'll need to do this from each active user desktop as some things are common and some are unique to each.
After 24 hours,I didn't know how I lived without it!!! Enjoy !! Happy

Collapse -
Firefox
by dagger906 / June 12, 2005 4:09 PM PDT

In firefox, you can just go into options and set it so that it doesn't remember visited pages, do not set cookies automatically, do not save any passwords, and many other things. You don't need something infested with adware banners.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.