Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Web mail question

by Cletus / February 16, 2004 10:55 AM PST

Is it possible, or likely, to pick up a parasite by opening an Email on a web-to-mail site? By opening an infected attachment?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Web mail question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Web mail question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Web mail question
by Mark G / February 16, 2004 12:22 PM PST
In reply to: Web mail question

if your reading the email on there server and not downloaded to your puter your safe

Collapse -
Re:Re:Web mail question
by Cletus / February 17, 2004 1:49 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Web mail question

I am glad to hear that---thanks.

Collapse -
Cletus, Opening An Attachment Anywhere Could Cause An Infection
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 17, 2004 2:51 AM PST
In reply to: Web mail question

Although Mark's statement is correct, you also asked whether opening the attachment could cause a problem. The answer is YES. Opening the attachment, even on webmail could cause the virus to infect your computer.

There are different types of webmail, and some require "downloading" to your hard drive before they are opened. Other webmail type allow the user to open attachments directly from the webmail. In either of these situations, opening the attachment could cause an infection to occcur, especially if you don't have antivirus protection, and in some case, even if you do.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Cletus, Opening An Attachment Anywhere Could Cause An Infection
by Mark G / February 17, 2004 4:02 AM PST

grif when im at work i read my email from road ruuners server hence its not downloaded to my puter

or yahoo i beleave is the same

Collapse -
Mark, Yep....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 17, 2004 5:06 AM PST

Most webmail works like that. You can open the message from almost anywhere and you can view the "text" of the message. Because webmail doesn't have HTML enabled, everything else. such as executable files, work like an attachment. It must be downloaded or opened to run. BUT, if the main part of the message is just text (for example "Mydoom") and you happen to double click on the attachment listed, it could infect your computer. Likewise, downloading the attachment to your computer, then executing it will also be a problem.

Simply "reading" the message is safe, while executing an attachment could cause problems.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
But, most/many webmail have HTML enable by default
by Gakada / February 17, 2004 11:24 AM PST
In reply to: Mark, Yep....

... just to make sure, look at your webmail option or setting or preferences, and disable it if necessary.. (Tips: 'Scan and download' the attachment (available choices on yahoo) THEN Scan again using your antivirus, before opening it)

I guess there are no sure way to prevent any virus infecting our system Automatically...

We (the user) have to actively monitor and guarding our own system, using the available tools and information from the world (atleast from this forum) and Antivirus, Anti this and anti that..)

But that too, I'm afraid, might not good enough Sad

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?