Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

Web Hosting? Which one??

by Technique101 / February 1, 2009 4:51 PM PST

I've been thinking about getting a web host to feature my art, so I need something with a lot of space. I looked at the free stuff and most of the time they all seem to be from the same company that only allows me to upload 3 files at a time (which is bad considering I have a lot more than that and don't have the time to go back and fourth.)

I've been considering getting a paid host, and I did see go-daddy but heard a lot of negative reviews mostly relating to bad customer service and people having problems logging in. And I've looked at other reviews like for host monster and seen similar complaints and even claims that a lot of sites that give reviews for them are false and mostly have sites on the top 10 links by just buying the space for it.

So my question is, what site would you recommend that would be reasonable with enough space and that would stay up, like, 95% of the time atleast? I guess anything around a gig or more under 10 bucks would be great, but I don't know where to look anymore Sad comments/help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Web Hosting? Which one??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Web Hosting? Which one??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You can look at
by Sovereign Forum moderator / February 2, 2009 1:42 PM PST

AN Hosting... I've been with them for about a year now and had some minor issues at first, but they have improved a lot. Up time is very good now and their customer service helpful.

~Sovereign

Collapse -
Uptime, Questions, Cost? Suggestions...
by santoslhelper / February 4, 2009 3:31 AM PST

95% uptime would mean 36 hours downtime a month... You don't want that Happy You want 99.99% uptime. Is your budget $10/month or per year? If you are looking to save some money http://www.hostingplanrebates.com has deals to cut the cost down on hosts like hostgator, lunarpages, anhosting, and bluehost by at least $50. To get around uploading 3 files at a time you want FTP access to your hosting account. You can upload however many files you wish at once. Are you using a content management system (Joomla, WordPress, Drupal, etc.) or are you creating your own site from scratch?

Collapse -
Hostgator & Web Hosting Pad
by darenshawn / February 4, 2009 6:03 PM PST

exactly like what santoslhelper says, 10 bucks is for monthly or yearly? if it's monthly, you can simply get any web hosting available out there without limiting yourself to juts 1 gig or 1 domain. Nowadays the price ranges from 5-10/month with big storage and data transfer.

Go daddy is considered the biggest domain registrant but when come to web hosting, I think they are not so perfect.

If you're serious with your website (money making), I recommend Hostgator though it is a bit expensive (7.95/mo). If you could compromise a bit on the quality, web hosting pad will be quite a good budget hosting. (4.95/mo).

Here are 2 detailed reviews on the above mentioned hosting:-
Hostgator Review
Web Hosting Pad Review

What worth noting is that their "unlimited space" feature.Since you are going to consume a lot of spaces, I will suggest you to take a closer look at their TOS regarding the storage to check whether that suits you or not.

Collapse -
GD
by ppcadcenter / February 7, 2009 4:59 AM PST

"Go daddy is considered the biggest domain registrant but when come to web hosting, I think they are not so perfect."

I agree, they were the first paid host that I used years back and I was not happy with their control panel system and felt like they had too much going on as a company to take care of hosting support issues.

Collapse -
Yes and ...
by moonriseproductions / February 9, 2009 2:28 PM PST
In reply to: GD

A couple years back they blocked Googlebot from their servers to save bandwidth. All their hosted clients lost their rankings.

That was years ago and I'm sure they wouldn't do it again bu seriously - if you make that obvious a mistake with your client's online business once ...

Good discount registrar however.

Dave
Moonrise Productions

Message was edited by: admin to remove signature link which is prohibited in these forums.

Collapse -
Amazing
by ppcadcenter / February 10, 2009 2:46 AM PST
In reply to: Yes and ...

That is an unbelievable mistake! You'd think Godaddy would know better... Maybe they did, but just didn't care.

Collapse -
Moonriseproductions:
by Sovereign Forum moderator / February 15, 2009 9:53 AM PST
In reply to: Amazing

No signature links please.

Thanks,
~Sovereign

Collapse -
First thing first....
by Sovereign Forum moderator / February 16, 2009 11:32 AM PST

By cnet-jerry:

95% uptime? are you kidding me~ do you there's a 50% uptime different for a host with 99.9% and 99.8% uptime? Do not settled with any hosting with less than 99% uptime if you're serious about your website!

Secondly, regarding your questions - I'm sure posters before me had already suggested some good host. I had never tried AN Hosting before but I do find Hostgator and WebHostingPad reliable. I have been with Hostgator since year 2005 and I'm still using them right now. They are, in fact, a little pricey but their server is very reliable. WebHostingPad, on the other hand, surprises me with their dead-cheap hosting service (with average server reliability). A few host I would recommend will be FatCow and perhaps, Inmotion.

Hosting companies to avoid from: RocketHosting, Hostmonster, IX Hosting, and Network Eleven. I had some trial run with them and they suck!

---

No links to that web site anymore please.
~Sovereign

Collapse -
Ix
by santoslhelper / February 24, 2009 3:12 AM PST
In reply to: First thing first....

I've been with Ixwebhosting since Jan 07. I agree that they had some issues in the past but thankfully since they updated and moved their datacenters last spring I haven't experienced any issues. I always said that I would not renew when my 2 year plan was up back in 07 but I ended up renewing my plan this year.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.