General discussion

Web Hosting Reviews for Host Gator ?

I have heard Host Gator is very good and cheap too, I have heard they allow Adult website hosting also. Is it true ?

Roy

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Web Hosting Reviews for Host Gator ?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Web Hosting Reviews for Host Gator ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
hostgator is good..
- Collapse -
Hostgator allows adult conent if it's notillegal

You can host adult content on Hostgator. And they do have fast support and great features for the price. You can test them out for free if you use the latest Hostgator Coupon : *** Just make sure to switch ?to a dedicated server when your traffic get's high or you else you will end up your account suspended.

by jerryobri

---
Link edited out.

- Collapse -
Adult - Yes

HostGator does allow adult content so long as it does not violate/break any United States laws. Read through their TOS. If you do end up signing up there is a $50 rebate at http://www.hostingplanrebates.com Add the $9.94 coupon to that and you can get a pretty sweet deal. I order a Baby plan on Black Friday when HostGator had a 75%off one day sale Happy So far so good... No complaints.

- Collapse -
HostGator Reviews
- Collapse -
Hostgator is great

Hostgator is famous of its reliability and customer support. They are in fact guarantee a 99.9% up time, if they fail to comply we can ask for 1 month credit (written in tos). Also their support is good due to their CEO Brent who actually attend to complaint personally. Here is a Hostgator web hosting review which might give you a full insight.

- Collapse -
Zero downtime so far

My uptime monitor shows 100% uptime for my site on HostGator since I signed up on black friday Happy I'll report when the first instance of downtime occurs...

- Collapse -
Hostgator

I used Hostgator before, and I can tell you its a pretty good host. Sometime I notice my site loads very slow, but the uptime is great.

Some other host I used was Dreamhost.com, Godaddy.com, and Dotstrar.com

Dreamhost.com - SUCKS! STAY AWAY! So much downtime, and there excuse is all BS. They always claim they are having hardware problems. If they have so much hardware problem stop packing the damn servers!

GoDaddy.com - There support is non-existence! There servers are slow, very packed! Would recommend Hostgator over Godaddy, its just stupid how they offer great domains but sucky hosting!

Dotstrar.com - One of the best host I ever used, they offer great support! The servers are fast, but read there TOS they do not offer video streaming. I would put Dotstrar.com up with Hostgator cause of the support and speed! Never experienced any downtime and always offer customers with coupons to use for next renewal dates. A+ for Dotstrar.com Hosting keep up the good work.

- Collapse -
Burst.net ?

I am thinking of taking a cheap dedicated server from them , they are offering a full machine for around 60 with 1000 GB transfer ..I Plan to put my screencastings on there! , is it good and reviews ? NO CONTRACT Happy , but a setup fee is there !!

- Collapse -
Dedicated Server

You might want to consider The Planet for a dedicated server since they provide the data centers for hostgator. Might be a better deal.

- Collapse -
I agree

I used Hostgator too, its a good host.

- Collapse -
dreamhost

I'm glad that I read this post because I was considering dream host. Thanks

- Collapse -
Host Gator Review

I signed up with Host Gator a couple of months ago for my site http://techjumpoff.com and they have provided good service all around for a pretty good price.

- Collapse -
Pricing description is not fully accurate on Hostgator

Yes, I've searched several places, and, indeed, Hostgator has a *very good* reputation. I also searched their website, and they have a *very good* featureset. I was about to sign up.

The $4.95 per month applies ONLY IF one commits to a 3-year contract! Else, the smallest ("Hatchling") plan is $8.95 per month. That's quite a difference!

Please be clear on this, cnet! I suspect you may have fallen off on other hosts, too!

- Collapse -
Just a marketing trick

Yup. The only drawback Hostgator has is the slightly-high price. Please check around and you will see that the price structure is around the same among other web hosting as well. The longer you subscribe the cheaper the price goes. And the cheapest price with longest contract will always be shown big on the banner to attract people's attention. This is just a marketing strategy.

However among all the hosting, though Hostgator is more expensive, the quality they have is unquestionable. If you think Hostgator is over budget, you can try look around for budget hosting. Try google "budget hosting" and you are ready to have another round of research.

Out of so many I think Web Hosting Pad - $4.95/mo (12 months contract) is the best budget hosting becz of 2 points:- 1) they are really cheap, go as low as $3.96 (3years) 2) They guarantee their uptime upto 99.9%.

However, nobody can say about the quality of budget hosting after all they are too cheap. For the common sense sake, how are they going to maintain everything? Just my ponder but that doesn't mean web hosting pad sucks. That's why I'm still a fan with Hostgator. Yup, the hosting is expensive I know. But compare to a cup of starbucks, it's cheap!

- Collapse -
I agree

Hostgator has been around longer than Webhostingpad and granted both have positive and negative reviews, hostgator has the better record. I've been happy with hg and know many webmaster that have been for years.

- Collapse -
Hostgator Review (revisited)

I moved a client's site to Hostgator, today. Much motivation came from reviews here, on CNET. I also looked elsewhere. It was nigh on to impossible to find negative comments on HG.

The site was up quick. Chat and forum support provides *human* and not "ubergeek" answers to questions. And, surprisingly enough (I won't go into gory details) a simple-minded PHP mail() script that had failed on the previous host, worked like a snap on HG. WOW! So, I'm gonna unsubscribe from this here thread, for now, a happy man. And steer others to HG.

- Collapse -
Congratulations!

=)

- Collapse -
Glad To Here!

I hope you remain happy with them.

- Collapse -
Wow

"And, surprisingly enough (I won't go into gory details) a simple-minded PHP mail() script that had failed on the previous host, worked like a snap on HG. WOW!"

For the benefit of everyone, who was the previous host where a simple PHP mail() script failed to work?

- Collapse -
Host Gator

I've dealt with Host Gator on a few occasions and have always had good experiences. I myself use Media Temple quite often.

-AS

- Collapse -
Media Temple

I have to say Media Temple looks impressive. What plan are you using with them, Grid-Service?

CNET Forums

Forum Info