Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

WEb DESIGNING

by abumereg / August 2, 2004 5:43 AM PDT

How do I become proficient in webdesign on my own and what materials do I require?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WEb DESIGNING
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WEb DESIGNING
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: WEb DESIGNING
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2004 6:00 AM PDT
In reply to: WEb DESIGNING
Collapse -
by Sovereign Forum moderator / August 2, 2004 7:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: WEb DESIGNING

First you need a program to make website... unless you are familar with HTML. Personally I recommend Microsoft FrontPage... but not everybody is a fan of it. Some say that you can't do very much because it limits you... that's not true. Another reason, that's probably bigger, is that it's by Microsoft and if you are not using IE, which most people do but people tend to go more to FireFox and Mozilla every day, you have a problem. But most people still use IE and if they solve their security issues (hopefully) soon, anybody can see the website fine using IE. Anyways, you need a program like FrontPage, Macromedia Dreamweaver or Adobe GoLive. They all cost money but if you're serious about this then you can afford one of the above mentioned programs. Of course there are more but those are the three big ones as I believe. If you have any other questions, please ask.

Collapse -
by Skicrazer / August 2, 2004 7:56 AM PDT

I learned HTML through building a web site using Geocities' web page builder, then going to the advanced editor and figuring out what it did by reading the HTML. I also took a beginner's HTML class years ago, so that helped a little, too. My web site is (along with very old) simple, but I do use tables a little and some other stuff. It's all in HTML so you can view source from the View menu option in IE. http://www.geocities.com/skicrazer if you're interested. (please excuse the sophmoric hype on the page Happy )

Collapse -
by slim___shady / August 2, 2004 11:26 AM PDT

proficient?

you need to know
html
client-side-scripting (javascript / vbscript etc)
css (cascading style sheets)
graphics (photoshop, coreldraw, etc)
animation (flash etc)
server-side-scripting (php / asp / cgi etc)
databases (mySQL, MsSQL, Oracle, etc)
Programming languages (Java, C++)

if you just want to design a personal page, get FrontPage

Collapse -
by abumereg / August 4, 2004 1:32 AM PDT

No funds 4 materials quoted can u suggest cheapest means & basic start off point?

Collapse -
by Sovereign Forum moderator / August 4, 2004 2:53 AM PDT

Haven't you read my post? It tells you where to start off. If you have other specific questions, you may ask, but it contains the information you need to know. There are many tutorials out there but first you need one of the three programs. Have you accomplished this goal?

Regards,
Ryan Sechrest

[email this member]
---------------------------------------------------------------------->
"Any technology significantly advanced enough
is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clark
<---------------------------------------------------------------------

Collapse -
Just use Notepad..
by radean / August 4, 2004 4:51 AM PDT

and find an HTML tutorial on the web. There are many.
JMO but this is the best way to get started, since you will have to learn HTML eventually if you want to be "proficient".
Then when you think you have a solid understanding of the basics, get one of the "other" programs, which will add tags and such for you.
Next learn CSS. Even simpler than HTML in most cases.
THEN, move on to the more exotic stuff.

Collapse -
Re: Just use Notepad..
by Sovereign Forum moderator / August 4, 2004 5:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Just use Notepad..

I think you should get the program first which has a GUI and lets you see what you do. Along on the side you can look at the source and play with it to see what it does. Starting the other way, like with HTML in notepad, can be very stressing and complicated. I'm just saying what I found easier.

Regards,
Ryan Sechrest

[email this member]

Collapse -
Again, JMO...
by radean / August 4, 2004 6:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Just use Notepad..

but you learn nothing from those programs, except how to use the program. I know you can whip out a web page in no time with them, and view the source to try to learn, but some programs add stuff that you really wouldn't care about. Ever create a web page with MS Word? WHOA..LOL.
Guess I'm old fashioned. Like to start with the basics, but to each his own.

Collapse -
Re: Again, JMO...
by Sovereign Forum moderator / August 4, 2004 8:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Again, JMO...

Yes you do. It teaches you to be creative, make tables, align content etc. For example you make a simple table... one table. You go to the source and change numbers and see what it does to the table. FrontPage is an excellent program to start with. If you keep an eye on the source code in everything you create, you can learn much better then starting out with notepad... knowing no commands. You would have to find out how commands fit and everything... the other way you do it how you like it and you see how it did it. Later you can remove every fat code and start from scratch.

Regards,
Ryan Sechrest

[email this member]

Collapse -
Good point there Sovereign..
by radean / August 4, 2004 9:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Again, JMO...

One can learn a lot just by looking at source code. But still maintain that a good grasp of the basics is necessary, and easily found for free.
And I wouldn't use FrontPage on a bet. LOL.
Lets end this give and take now, since I think we have hijacked Abumereg's post. Apologies to him/her.

Collapse -
Re: Good point there Sovereign..
by Sovereign Forum moderator / August 4, 2004 1:14 PM PDT

Yeah. I understand what you are saying and you know what I mean. At the end it will be abumereg who must make a decision.

Regards,
Ryan Sechrest

[email this member]

Collapse -
Start with HomeSite software
by eellston / November 4, 2004 9:11 PM PST

Download trial version of Macromedia HomeSite. One of the best HTML editors out there. Ask me about it.

Collapse -
by PetGecko / August 6, 2004 10:40 AM PDT

I agree w/ Ray... I do all my design on a Mac, and started with the basic "Hello World!" page using SimpleText. That now seems like a million years ago...wait, it was a million years ago...
I still build all my pages/sites by hand...PHP, CSS, and all the alphabet soup in BBEdit (it doesn't suck

Collapse -
by raspberryh / August 12, 2004 11:04 PM PDT

I AGREE - learn html from scratch. I think you should buy a book (and I know you are on a budget - there are books for super cheap on www.alibris.com and www.amazon.com that are used) that teaches you html and web design. I found one that looks good on amazon.com - Learning Web Design : A Beginner's Guide to HTML, Graphics, and Beyond, by Jennifer Niederst
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0596000367/qid=1092401985/sr=1-52/ref=sr_1_52/002-3201965-1304859?v=glance&s=books) with a used price of like five bucks. That should get you started with doing the html yourself and I think it teaches good design concepts too. You can just use some cheap graphics program like Jasc Paint Shop Pro (which I personally HATE, but it's cheap, so if cheap is what you're looking for, then hey, eat it up) then once you get more money, invest in a nice software program like Photoshop. You really don't NEED all the stuff that other guy was talking about, database knowledge, javascript, flash, etc. unless that is something that you are planning on implementing into your site. If you just want a website, say, to view photos, or even for a company - you can still do a pretty nice design without the other stuff. You can wait till you've mastered HTML to dive into that more complicated stuff.

Collapse -
by compfreak / August 25, 2004 9:04 AM PDT

Hi abumereg

You're probably more confused now than when you asked the question! The problem is that we each have our own favourites and different requirements from a website. My advice is just get stuck in and try a number of different ways. View source code on websites that you like to see how they did it. And practice. A good free WYSIWYG program is HTML-Kit available as a download from http://www.chami.com/html-kit/ - many of the features of Dreamweaver without the price ticket!
GOOD LUCK!

Collapse -
by gga / August 26, 2004 11:31 PM PDT

'Proficient' is a little vague - if you mean 'professionaly competent' you have a long road ahead of you, but if you mean 'capable of maintaining my own web page' it's pretty easy (and fun).
I started with 1stPage from Evrsoft (free). It is very easy to use and contains good reference material. If you find you enjoy doing this sort of thing you should learn about CSS - try Cascade DTP 4 (also free).

Collapse -
by Hawk Shango / August 27, 2004 12:35 AM PDT

You need to first learn how the pros do it. Try the tutorials here at CNet. Then practice, practice, practice. If you come across a site that you like, or has a feature that you like, take a look "under the hood"... Do a "view source". Download the page and see if you can do what they did on your own. And practice, practice, practice. Read books on web design. And practice, practice, practice... Search the web for tutorial site on web design and practice, practice, practice...

Hope this helps...

Collapse -
by tiger_3 / August 28, 2004 8:58 AM PDT

I think the easiest way to understand web page designing is to go to the link I have listed below. It is the very informative link on "How stuff works", and shows you how to start off in making a web page, and all the way to getting it on the web.
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/web-page.htm

Collapse -
by techuser / September 8, 2004 3:15 AM PDT

WOW! What a SHIPLOAD of mostly unhelpful replies!

You really CAN learn HTML and web page design without spending any $$$ (assuming you already have a computer and Net access).

Just search on Google for HTML tutorials and you'll find more than you could ever want to look at. Just go through a few until you find one that seems "suited" to you and work through the whole tutorial.

Likewise you'll find tutorials on website design.

I was really surprised to see offered up so few URLs to free editors. Because you are just starting out (and also you made it clear you don't want to spend $$$), here is another URL to a free one. http://webpage.vendercom.com/
It will definitely be fine to get you started. If you eventually find you want to try more than it offers, THEN you can download the evaluation versions of three or four commercial editors and see if you think one fits your budget. (Persnoally, I would avoid Micosoft products. They tend to produce so much bloat-code that it is a nightmare to try to edit out all the uneeded cr*p they throw in. Just try doing some HTML script in Notepad and saving it, then copy and paste into Word and save it as HTML. Open the HTML document in Notepad and comapre to your original. Your head will spin at all of the uneeded nonsense that MS thinks is important to include in your file!)

If you are using Internet Explorer, when you find a web page that has some interesing effects that you want to try, from the menu click View / Source and the HTML script will be displayed in your associated editor (most probably notepad). Some things you won't understand at all, and won't be able to dupluicate without special knowledge. However, your abilities will grow as you progess deeper into Website design.

Collapse -
Can you design a web page for me?
by DAVEYBOY49 / April 5, 2006 8:01 PM PDT

I am looking for a freelance web designer, to help me with a 1-2 page simple website.
Kindly contact me via email: udann@hotmail.com for complete details of my requirements.
Ulrich Dannecker

Collapse -
by lildude / October 6, 2004 7:11 AM PDT

You need to have basic HTML knowledge. Softwares like photoshop, macromedia fireworks to designing graphics for your website and dreamweaver to design your webpage. Rest all depends on your creativity. Good luck ...

Collapse -
by harrip / October 7, 2004 1:10 PM PDT

Becoming proficient on your own is one thing, but if your looking for a career in this a formal course with a recognised qualification may be more useful?

Cheers,

Pete

Collapse -
Re: Web Designing
by Ankur / November 3, 2004 10:16 PM PST

Ok, I've read through all of these posts and I've wondered as to why no one actually gave you a website to look at. I'm learning html right now and i'm getting pretty good at it. Don't try everything right away. It's all a process and you just have to take your time learning it.

I've done it by learning HTML first than CSS and XML and XHTML as those are fairly similiar but more strict, and now i'm starting to learn mysql and php. Don't jump the gun man.

Here's a good website I recommend to newbies

1. http://www.w3schools.org
2. http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/

-DeathKnight-

Collapse -
Odd. The first reply noted w3c...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2004 10:35 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Web Designing

And there I find (still!) tutorials and more.

Sometimes this is not enough since the question was not actually what was written.

Bob

Collapse -
by timwerx / November 4, 2004 2:05 PM PST

As for software, a new open-source freeware editor has just come out that looks really good. It's called Nvu, and has connections with Mozilla. It's here:
http://www.nvu.com/

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!