Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

Web Design forum seems to be

by Ray Harinec / March 20, 2006 12:49 AM PST

poorly supported at this time. The one Moderator that has posted recently gives one line replies that must really make people not come back.

I see that Pudgy One gave decent answers.

All I know about these subjects is from reading, so in no way can I be certain of my replies.

I may make some replies just so I don't see 3 day old posts with zero replies.

Hope that CNET can find a good knowledeable moderator.

Seeing Pudgy Ones reply to the P Taboma makes this writer aware that he has the knowledge.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Web Design forum seems to be
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Web Design forum seems to be
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hmm.....
by John Robie / March 20, 2006 3:01 AM PST

Hi Ray,

The Web Design forum has two Moderators assigned and you seem to be promoting PudgyOne to be a third in that forum.

Sovereign seems to be capable IMO. Here are his posts listed:

http://cma.zdnet.com/texis/forums/search.html?q=&qt=&p=Sovereign&a=&b=&fi=37&f=1&o=d&m=

And of course we both know the good capabilities of Toni H.

Mods are not required to answer or reply to any post. They are not paid as you know.
Never known of a volunteer Mod being fired, some staying on for years only posting a few times a year, but eventually do either resign or asked to resign.

Collapse -
I may have taken a bad sampling
by Ray Harinec / March 20, 2006 3:52 AM PST
In reply to: Hmm.....

Only saw Robert's and he was in his short, cryptic [nasty IMHO] answer mode.

Not at all suitable for an obvious individual just trying to get stared.

Some old ones that had visited in many moons have been dropped. Check the list.

I did fail to check the list of Mod's for that forum. Simply saw numerous multi-day old posts with no reply or c----y reply.

Collapse -
I hadn't looked at the Mod List
by TONI H / March 22, 2006 7:35 AM PST
In reply to: Hmm.....

recently and didn't realize until you mentioned it to Ray that I was actually assigned there or I would have been checking there alot more frequently.

I just answered a post yesterday that Ray alerted me to so I'll keep my eye in there more now that I know I should.

Thanks.......

TONI

Collapse -
Thank you, Ray
by PudgyOne / March 20, 2006 3:08 AM PST

Thank you Ray for the nice comments.

I do some html coding, that I have learned off the internet. I take care of some poor womans website and update it monthly for her.

I do NOT know enough about the programs like Frontpage, DreamWeaver or even Publisher. I have learned a few tricks but that's it. I will try to reply to some of the posts that sit there also, just to get them started in some direction.

I can try to analize problems and try to figure out what has caused them. I do not feel that I am the right person for this kind of forum, but thank you for your support.

Rick

Collapse -
Hey, if you simply give help
by Ray Harinec / March 20, 2006 3:54 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you, Ray

when you can that's great. The fact that you give nice disscussive type replies is what is great.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks again, Ray!
by PudgyOne / March 20, 2006 5:17 AM PST
Collapse -
I'm a bit like you Rick
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 1, 2006 3:03 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you, Ray

I am self taught in web design but although I have my own web site, it is not published and I just use it on my own computer.

I do visit the Web Design forum ocassionally, perhaps not as often as I should. But often the questions raised there are a little over my head.

Mark

Collapse -
I have been cheating, lately
by PudgyOne / April 1, 2006 3:31 AM PST

I have been cheating, lately

Since the website I take care of is prefabricated and I contacted them about the errors and they said it's not on their end, I have been using Word, saving as, html document. I then go to the page builder, click on edit, open the html document I just made, copy only a part of the coding (what's needed) and paste it there. Cuts down on the time involved.

If I really know the answer, I will try to help them. I stay away from the hosting part of it. If I do not know the answer but think that I might have something for them to go on, I will give it my best shot.

We're always learning and here is something else I saw

T ogether
E veryone
A ccomplishes
M ore

Rick

Collapse -
Ray, Jooks like Rick has figured out the problem with CNET
by taboma / March 20, 2006 8:46 AM PST

Ray, Rick has shown us the problem with the CNET coding problems. What a better person to show others on that Forum.
Just a way to say thanks to Rick for discovering all the problems on this CNET Forum and the problems we have been going through for the last three months
I hope that Adam will fix it on the CNET end once and for all.

-Kevin

Collapse -
Tobama, there may be a coding
by John Robie / March 20, 2006 9:31 AM PST

problem with your MAC computer with using Safari as a browser instead of Firefox, but I have yet to find a problem with the CNet links Rick (PudgyOne)has used with the "Failed validation errors" he has shown using that W3,org link on the three PC desktop computers I use with browsers Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Opera. I'm sure there are coding error, but it has not affected my computers in those links provided.

Adams indicated to you on your particular problem:
"This is a weird one. No doubt at all that it is a coding issue... gonna be hard for me to figure out where, though... I'll add this to our list, and try and get my hands on a Mac to be able to recreate this.
I'll let you all know if I have a planned fix for this soon, k?"

Patience is a virtue.

Collapse -
Patience is a virtu?You are right?
by taboma / March 20, 2006 1:51 PM PST

?since Dec. 29, 2005.
John, isn't about time the CNET group got their act together and fixed this mess once and for all!
I took your advise and posted to the Mac Forum.

So far there is a post from Peter Saward (mrmacfixit) and lampie reporting the same that I have reported to this forum also.
You see, I am not alone!
It is NOT MY computer!
Spewing HTML codes from CNET, YES!
Stay tuned? be patient, there will be more follow-ups.
Rick is helping here also. After all, Rick is the person that can help out on this total Forum fFU for us all. Do you know why I typed that?
The word police.
Not just a Mac problem here. A problem and the reason for a number of problems for months. Not just Mac. All, including PC.
Don't you understand it is a problem for all?
Why are you so vindictive and think that I am the only one that has a problem on the CNET? I am not alone here.

I hope Adam can solve it for us all.
Stay tuned and be patient.

Lee, come back to us from your vacation.
Save us all!!!
We need it.

-Kevin

Collapse -
Huh? The sky is falling, the sky is falling!
by John Robie / March 20, 2006 11:29 PM PST

What in the world do you think the CNet Engineers/Programmers have been doing the past years? Coding and maintaining the system is an ongoing endeavor. You are sadly mistaken that fixing the coding of a MAC 'bar' problem, that two people have with a certain browser, is a cure all. Trying to connect that with the overall continuing forum system problems is quite a bit of tomfoolery.

PudgyOne has introduced to us Lay people a link to checking out coding validation
http://validator.w3.org/
So far his examples showing CNet errors has not affected my Win98se, WinMe, or WinXP SP2 computers.
I'm sure the CNet engineers/programmers know about coding validation already.

You should have been here prior to October 2003 when we had the Trickler forum system. No, strike that, you would have had repeated heart attacks and not be around...;-)

Collapse -
The sky is falling again
by taboma / March 21, 2006 8:29 AM PST

John, I am one of those lay-people that Rick is showing the error messages to.
I don't have any idea what it means other than a typo somewhere on coding. That's the extent of my knowledge here. I am not as smart as you are and I admit that.
John, I also take back my poor choice of wording to you.
Please accept my apology here. I do not have the experience that you have. Just enough to get myself in trouble every once in a while.
Pink in the face again, sorry!
-Kevin

P.S.: John, What was the Trickler Forum all about? Do you have any examples of this? Was this the ZDNET?
Want to start a new post on this and clue us in?
Thanks John,

-Kevin

Collapse -
The forum Trickler system
by John Robie / March 21, 2006 10:41 AM PST

came around February 2000 in ZDNet and worked fairly well but had bugs. When CNet purchased ZDNet and started taking over the forums around November/December 2000 adding their old disbanded forum, then adding MSN disbanded forum, more bugs. MSN after about a year withdrew from the forums.

Well, the buildup with members & forums apparently caused a lot of problems and with a strain on the servers the following year or so, CNet moved the servers from the East coast to the West coast adding new and more servers which helped a little. Eventually, the forum problems became almost unbearable with constant breakdowns causing management to start shopping for a new system. For a while there the forums were so bad, and protest so high, I thought a 500,000 man march would be made on CNet headquarters in Frisco. Well finally, the Jive system was selected and implimented in October 2003. There were some bug right off the bat and Lee Koo collected a list for the Engineers. There are still bugs that crop up which keep programmers quite busy, and I don't think all the old bugs have been resolved.

For just two older ones I know right off the bat,
the 'wrap' that is caused on the Firefox browser when a long URL link is used in a message has been going on for over a year, and
the deletion of a block of post when exceeding the 12 limit layers. Although Adam said he found the problem of the latter & would implement a solution Monday before last, I have not "bugged" him as he probably ran into some difficulties.

Collapse -
Forum Trickler System
by taboma / March 21, 2006 12:57 PM PST

Thanks, John,
Never knew that. Interesting stuff to know about. I call it stuff because I do not know what else to call it.
You certainly know your stuff!!
Nice.

What is the 'wrap' that is caused on the Firefox browser when a long URL link, used in a message and the deletion of a block of post when exceeding the 12 limit layers?
What is 12 limit layers all about?
I do not have a clue what you are discussing here. I am not into anything IT or into HTML codes either.
I have used Firefox browser for a six month period. Did not have a clue what the limits were. I switched back to Safari when Firefox started to slow down on my Mac and not being able to view Giff files at that time. I found Safari much faster and have stayed with it.

Here is a good question for anyone. I have not used Safari for over three months due to the fact that I could not view Giff files.
Tonight my wife showed me a file of an actress she viewed and while using Firefox as a browser. Huh? How did this happen? I have done nothing with the Firefox prefferences. Firefox just fixed itself??
Strange to say the least. New one to me.

I hope Adam and his crew figure out what's wrong here on CNET eventually.

John, the sky is not falling. The ground is coming up!
Thanks for explaining some of this stuff to me. Now all I have to do is to figure out what the heck you meant!

-Kevin

Collapse -
Wrap & 12 layer limit
by John Robie / March 21, 2006 3:45 PM PST
In reply to: Forum Trickler System

Wrap is the overun of text off the right side of your monitor screen. I discovered from C1ay and Keith Marcotte back in November 2003 that it was caused by the extra long URL sometimes used in a post.
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6622-0.html?forumID=66&threadID=3214&messageID=37977

I last reported it in June 2005:

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7598-0.html?forumID=51&threadID=107088&messageID=1222083

The 12 layer thread post limit was extended from 7 layers in July 2004. It seems when the 12 layer is extended further with a workaround, a block of posts disappears out of a thread and doesn't return. You will probably never see a thread go 12 layers in the MAC forum or any of the Help type forums. It happens in the SpeakEasy forum on their sometimes extremely long threads.

Collapse -
Kevin, here is a wrap sample
by John Robie / March 21, 2006 3:54 PM PST
In reply to: Wrap & 12 layer limit
Collapse -
The workaround
by John Robie / March 21, 2006 4:34 PM PST

until fixed is to use http://tinyurl.com/
to make a long URL tiny, but even Advanced/Guru members sometimes forget or don't know.

Collapse -
There was a time when
by TONI H / March 22, 2006 7:56 AM PST
In reply to: The workaround

many people complained loudly if somebody used the tinyurl link because so many popups or ads appeared at the same time.

Most people use the following method in order to shorten the url instead.... As an example:

<a href=''http://windowsxp.mvps.org/utils/IEFix.zip''>IEFix </a>

Which in CNET forums, if you replace the < > marks with brackets [ ] instead gives you an immediate link to the file I gave as an example:

[a href=''http://windowsxp.mvps.org/utils/IEFix.zip'']IEFix[/a]

And I just did a preview of this post, and it isn't working right, so I'm confused thoroughly now since it 'should' be working with that coded adjustment for the forums. If once I hit SUBMIT instead of PREVIEW, the second, edited link actually turns up as clickable, I'll know the Preview button isn't allowing it whereas Submit does.

TONI

Collapse -
Hmmm.
by John Robie / March 22, 2006 8:32 AM PST
In reply to: There was a time when

You mean like Hyperlinking, narrowing it down to:

here

I didn't want to confuse Taboma, as he still has not learned how to post a image, and perhaps does not know how to post a Link with a MAC unless typing it in the text.

Collapse -
Re:
by John Robie / March 22, 2006 8:45 AM PST
Collapse -
Is this what you mean Toni?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 1, 2006 2:52 AM PST

Using the square brackets you also need to add ''url'' ''/url'' tags, eg

Mods List

I have deliberately put a space between the beginning [ url and the end so you can see it whole.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For Firefox users this problem can now be resolved with an addon/extension called the ''MR Tech Link Wrapper'' from here;
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=2021&application=firefox
Like the name says, it wraps long links to next lines to stop the horizontal scroll bar appearing. I use it myself and couldn't do without it now on these forums.

Mark

Collapse -
Wrap???????????????????????????
by taboma / March 22, 2006 1:20 PM PST

Got the example.
Thanks, Why is life not simple?

-Kevin

Collapse -
Wrap & 12 layer limit
by taboma / March 22, 2006 1:15 PM PST

Thanks John for your knowledge. Live and learn.
Never knew that.

-Kevin

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome Kevin.
by John Robie / March 22, 2006 1:57 PM PST
Collapse -
Credit goes to
by PudgyOne / March 21, 2006 12:58 PM PST
Collapse -
Credit Bob Proffitt and Rick
by taboma / March 21, 2006 3:11 PM PST
In reply to: Credit goes to

Thanks to Bob and Rick both.
Another Hip, Hip, Hooray!!!
Nice job. I was wondering when Bob Proffitt would step in and to help us all out. Bob is always sitting out on the sidelines. Ready and willing to give advise. All you have to do is to ask him.

Thanks Bob. Thanks Rick.

Collapse -
Err......It was also
by John Robie / March 21, 2006 4:47 PM PST

Bob Profit back in December who was the 1st one that thought your MAC 'bar' problem might be some odd html code.

Collapse -
John, it is really spelled?
by taboma / March 22, 2006 3:13 PM PST
In reply to: Err......It was also

Duuurrrr??? or something to that effect?
Absolutely correct with Bob Proffitts post.
Bob, Peter and I, along with some others have discussed this problem on the Mac Forum when the problem arose back in December.
Glad that you saw it. I missed your post trying to help out.
Still is a problem for all. PC & Mac.

Have you viewed the Mac Forum at all? Rather an interesting site.
You can also get correct and informative info for the PC there also from Peter Sayward. Other Mods, like Bob Proffitt's post there also and try to help out.
In my estimation the Mac Forum should be renamed to?
?The Guru Forum and everything else you wanted to know about everything concerning the Mac & PC computer!? Bar None!
That's how much I respect Pete and others on that forum.

Peter Sayward has also posted to the Mac Forum on this coding issue recently.
I am also glad that Bob Proffitt helped out out Rick to isolate this issue.
My hat is off to both Bob and Rick. Just great work on their part to bring it to our attention.
Other neat sites to go to are the Computer Newbees and Computer Help Forums. Toni and Griff are wonderful on those forums.
I had so much fun posting to the Computer help forum this past week. It was just great!!! So refreshing for a change. Try it! Rick will tell you also. Just fun to visit and fun for most posters. We had a ball there!!
Toni, True?

John, since you are so much smarter than I am with the CDNET Forums and all, what are your suggestions on new HTML coding problems and the fix?
I can live with my dumb blue control bar showing up , yet there are a number of members having problems with other aspects on CNET. Want to help out here? Please do. How would you go about it and fix the HTML coding?

-Kevin

Collapse -
Reporting Safari Bugs
by PudgyOne / March 22, 2006 5:21 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!