Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Web-Cam gone AWOL

by almowstine / June 11, 2009 11:28 PM PDT

Hi
I have an HP Pavilion Entertainment laptop type 9289ea with a built-in webcam which has ceased to function since, I believe, either Microsoft or HP threw a patch at me which I now cannot find, I'll blame Microsoft.
HP have tried to fix to no avail, finally recommending I perform a system recovery, which I am loath to do because on the c: disk is the OS and a load of my stuff which, by the way HP recommend installing apps on to the d: disk, but did I listen.....nah.
There is a recovery partition on the e: disk which we are advised to steer clear of, and I have.
I cannot find the webcam entry in the device manager either.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards Allan.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Web-Cam gone AWOL
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Web-Cam gone AWOL
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If it's not in device manager.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2009 10:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Web-Cam gone AWOL

Then it could be a hardware failure. Last year I found one that had become unplugged. That's not to say that is your issue but since it's not in device manager that's NOT a good sign.

Hope you have a warranty on this thing. Out of warranty costs seem to upset everyone.
Bob

Collapse -
Webcam gone awol
by almowstine / June 13, 2009 8:19 PM PDT
Collapse -
Let's say it is MS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2009 10:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Webcam gone awol

Then you can restore the machine to a prior date or reload from scratch and it will come back. Then you let it update and find the patch that causes it to vanish.

But this is what I'm seeing -> It's not caused by MS if it's not in the device manager it has 100% of the time been a hardware failure. Then again there are folk that think MS can cause the hardware to fail.
Bob

Collapse -
Webcam gone awol
by almowstine / June 14, 2009 7:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Let's say it is MS.

Thanks for that. I'll go the failed hardware route and give the machine to HP (after I've backed up my stuff).
Regards.

Collapse -
This happened to me too...
by OzBo / June 15, 2009 1:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Webcam gone awol

.... just yesterday.
I noticed the video call button was missing from Skype, so I checked the webcam, and no, of course it didn't work.... I reinstalled QuickPlay (which is the HP software used by the webcam) and the driver in device manager, and suddenly the button in Skype reappeared and the webcam was working... Happy

Collapse -
Webcam gone AWOL
by almowstine / June 15, 2009 7:33 PM PDT

Hi OzBo
Thanks for that I'll give it a go. What gave you that idea?
Regards Allan

Collapse -
I was told...
by OzBo / June 16, 2009 5:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Webcam gone AWOL

... that QuickPlay is the software used by the webcam a long time ago by HP.
Oh,also make sure that the service called "QuickPlay Background Capture Service" is started, as the webcam depends on it.
You could also try uninstalling the driver for the webcam in DM under "Imaging Devices". When you reboot, the computer will reinstall it automatically - useful in case it became corrupted or damaged...

Good luck!

Bo

Collapse -
Webcam gone AWOL
by almowstine / June 16, 2009 7:41 PM PDT
In reply to: I was told...

Hi OzBo
HP came and picked up my machine yesterday. Said it should be about a week to ten days. I'll post with results.
Gopd thing I have more than one machine eh?
Regards Allan.

Collapse -
I have the same problem
by sad_user / July 28, 2009 7:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Webcam gone AWOL

So what happen when the computer got taken?

I have the same problem. The camera disappeared on me one day when I was using Skype, and then I could not locate it in the device manager, and since I have only one machine, it took me over half a year to do the system restore to its original condition which did not produce any results.
I think I got this problem the first time when I got the laptop, but I fixed it with some patch and it worked for 3 months perfectly, and then it stopped. Sad
My one year warranty expires in the mid. August and I'm thinking whether it's worth sending computer back. I'm currently working on it, and I need it here, I don't have 10 days.

Collapse -
WebCam gon AWOL
by almowstine / July 28, 2009 8:28 PM PDT

Well, HP collected my machine and returned it the next day saying 'no fault was found' but they reloaded the driver and performed a system configuration, which is what I did. Since then the webcam has been working OK. The really weird thing is that when my machine boots I get a message in the system tray telling me that the webcam is now plugged in, something that hasn't happened before even when the machine was new. I asked HP for a more detailed description of the work carried out, bat hr=eard nothing from them. mmmmmmmm strange eh?

Collapse -
HP
by OzBo / July 29, 2009 8:08 AM PDT
In reply to: WebCam gon AWOL

Well, once the button of my CD-ROM got stuck in while the laptop was still under warranty. I called them and they said to restore to factory defaults. Go figure... For a stuck button, CLEARLY a hardware problem. I tried to explain this to them for half an hour, but they didn't get it. So I called them the day after and told them I had restored to factory defaults (which I had not done of course) and that I still had the problem, so they picked it up and gave me a new CD-ROM.

Bo

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?