Samsung forum

Question

Web Browser updated, but what are the changes?

by mystiky / September 13, 2012 1:59 PM PDT

It looks like the Web Browser on my Samsung UN55ES8000F did an update to version 1.224

I am happy to see that but WHERE can I found WHAT are the changes / bug fixes? I assume that someone here has the info since that is an applet made by Samsung itself.

Please advise.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Web Browser updated, but what are the changes?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Web Browser updated, but what are the changes?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
more on Web browser
by mystiky / September 15, 2012 2:22 AM PDT

I guess 48 hours go by and no replies from Samsung. Typical.

Whatever was done, ESPN3 streams still don't work (tell me that Adobe Flash version is not supported).

Samsung, can you please answer what is NEW with this version?

Collapse -
Flash not working on ESPN3
by Videokid / September 15, 2012 2:43 AM PDT
In reply to: more on Web browser

I agree. I still cannot to watch streaming events on ESPN3.com on my browser. I have a UN60D8000 TV..
I also can't watch Vevo YouTube music videos in HD.

Collapse -
Read this recent answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2012 2:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
AFAIK.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2012 2:26 AM PDT

Hulu and such sites actively work to break browsers on HDTV and such. Even if Samsung fixed this, Hulu seems determined to push Huluplus.

Sorry but as far as I know, all HDTV browsers do not work on Hulu and other sites. We use a PC then it works.
Bob

Collapse -
All other browsers...
by mystiky / September 16, 2012 2:21 AM PDT
In reply to: AFAIK.

do you mean all other Samsung browsers or Sharp, Sony, Vizio, and other TV brands ...???

Also

1) Samsung still has not posted any information on WHAT was changed/fixed/upgraded on the Web Browser.
2) I am able to play any videos on Youtube, but many of the same ones do not work on with my older TV, which has a WD Live TV connected to it for streaming. When I try to run a video, Youtube tells me that "Video was not meant to be watched on a TV". But when I try the same video on my Samsung, it runs without problems. So Samsung must be doing SOMETHING to bypass this issue.
3) I called and spoke to ESPN tech guys . They assured me that they DO NOT block ESPN3 on any browsers, as long as the viewer can verify that he/she is in US. And guess what, my Router 's IP is in US, and the TV gets assinged the same IP address. So ESPN3 has no problems verifying that. ESPN told me that the BROWSER probably doesn't have the latest version of FLASH, hence that's why it doesn't work (as the error on screen says).
4) HULU and HULU+ are paid free vs. PAID package. I can see why HULU+ is protecting this. But ESPN3 is FREE for ANYONE in ANY resolution. There are NO paid subscriptions for their services.
5) When the Olympics were on, I went on and tried to stream them on the Samsung TV (using previous version of Web Browser). It went as far as verifying me as a valid cable subscriber (Veizon FIOS), and it allowed the cookie to be dropped in to confirm it. However, when I tried streaming anything, all I got was an error.

So as much as I want to believe Samsung, I want them to prove to me that they TRIED fixing it. I will believe this is if they make ESPN3 work, and then if it stops working in a while, then I will believe that ESPN changed to code to try to block it.

I love Samsungs technology, but taking such a great product and not making it fully worthwhile, it's a huge pity.

My expereince with computers goes back to 1982, and the days of Atari 400...

Collapse -
I mean other makers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2012 2:27 AM PDT
In reply to: All other browsers...
Collapse -
ESPN3 app for Samsung?
by mystiky / September 16, 2012 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: I mean other makers.

Thanks and I do appreciate your replies.

But am I missing something about an ESPN3 "App" available for Samsung? Can't find it on my TV.
Can you?

Collapse -
Apps are from the authors and companies.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2012 2:59 AM PDT
In reply to: ESPN3 app for Samsung?

Netflix for example writes the app for that. If ESPN didn't then they didn't. I can't find out if yours had it but reviews only list the ESPN ScoreCenter.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55ES8000-55-Inch-1080p-Silver/product-reviews/B00752NJMC?pageNumber=4 repeats what everyone is telling you.
"Smart hub is good but not as good as ur cellphone / pc apps! getting there!"

What you need to know is that I've yet to see this maker issue new firmware or their apps with a step up in function. I may get flamed on that but so far, if it doesn't work on the first day, it won't later.
Bob

Collapse -
ESPN3 won't play because our TV has an old Flash version
by Videokid / September 16, 2012 4:38 AM PDT

Thank you mystiky for getting to the bottom of the ESPN3 problem. We now know it is because our TV has an outdated version of Flash (10). . Can we expect Samsung to run a software upgrade to fix this problem? Because in time all videos may require the latest Flash player.

Collapse -
And then the end of Flash
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2012 5:26 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?