HolidayBuyer's Guide

The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Web Apps for iPhone & iPod Touch on web only?

by trappedlight / October 23, 2007 6:40 AM PDT

Are the web apps for the iPhone & iPod touch actually web based or are they called that because they use Sarafi as an interface to run? I guess what I'm driving at is do you need internet connectivity to run these apps (once installed) or can they run locally on your device without connectivity?

Do third party apps run the same as the Apple web-apps or do they differ?

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Web Apps for iPhone & iPod Touch on web only?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Web Apps for iPhone & iPod Touch on web only?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
web apps require a connection
by minimalist / October 23, 2007 9:32 AM PDT

to work. they are just webpages that have been formated to look like a native iPhone app (black glossy top and bottom bars, gret gradient backgrounds, the correct width and height to just fill the iPhone screen etc). They look nice enough and some work pretty well (Signal is one I was even willing to pay for) but they are really no substitution for a real 3rd party app. For one you won't be able to ue any of them while in airplane mode. And there is always that annoying lag when using them over EDGE.

I for one am eagerly awaiting Google Gears type iPhone app that will give me quick access to Google Calendar (as well as mail, docs, etc) when online or offline. Sort of the best of a native app combined with the best of a web app.

Collapse -
Follow up question
by trappedlight / October 24, 2007 3:24 AM PDT

So are there additional (Apple or 3rd party) apps that run directly on the iPhone or iPod locally (without the internet)?

Collapse -
There will be 3rd party apps
by minimalist / October 24, 2007 3:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Follow up question

after Apple releases the software developers kit (SDK) that they have promised for February.

Until then the only native apps you get are ones that Apple gives you when you buy the phone (or occasionally through software updates) or the ones you can install yourself when you hack the phone.

If you are not comfortable with the risks that come with hacking the phone (potentially making the device unusable or voiding your warranty) it would be wise to wait for the official apps coming in the future.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.