General discussion

web application with no background colors in one computer

We have about 100 computers in our network. There is one of those computers that does not display background images/colors on some of our web applications, but they work on the rest of the computers. I am pretty sure the HTML/PHP/CSS code is working (i am using just a bgcolor='#some color') but just in that single computer it is not showing any backgrounds, neither on FF nor in IE. Any ideas?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: web application with no background colors in one computer
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: web application with no background colors in one computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
No background color.

First question: is it a property of the COMPUTER or of the USER ACCOUNT?
In the last case, it works as intended for other users on that PC. In the first case it doesn't work for any user. That's an easy test, isn't it?

If it's for one user only, for IE check the accessibility options. For IE6 you can see the "ignore colors" checkbox on http://www.seoconsultants.com/windows/ie/accessibility/

If it's for every user on that machine, I suspect the video card or the video driver. First reimage the machine and if that doesn't help replace the video card and reinstall the drivers.

Kees

- Collapse -
I saw this.

The web browser settings were set to ignore the web site's colors.

The video card was set to 256 colors (or other.)

The list goes on and on but it's unlikely to be your web code if 99 other machines work.
Bob

- Collapse -
Also...

Check the monitor's color and contrast settings. Faint background colors are often completely masked if the auto settings are skewed or someone manually adjusted them.

John

- Collapse -
RE

Thanks for the suggestions. I did try to open the ATI Catalyst Control Center and it didn't open (no errors, it didn't do anything at all), so i tried to open some of the applications that come with it (MOM.exe, etc) and it gave me a bunch of errors. Plus, for some reason the Display Screen is showing 2 monitors under 'Settings' as if that computer had dual screen (which it doesn't!). The computer is being used at the moment, but i'll try to reinstall the drivers. Thanks again for the suggestions!

- Collapse -
That's a clue.

Your reply makes me wonder if remote desktop is enabled. There was some setting to limit color count to 256 to speed up RDP or clients.

Since the ATI panel doesn't open you have proven this machine has issues.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info